Watching Illinois-Gophers 2021 Replay on BTN

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
I wasn’t able to see this game live. The Fighting Bielema’s played a great first quarter. Powerful running game; controlled LOS. Tanner led off with an interception and looked off. Down 14-0 after the first play in the second quarter.

We turn it over on downs in the second quarter. Can’t pick up two yards out of the wildcat. Throwing some good passes, have a few good runs (Bucky and Ky), but can’t get into the endzone. Lot of pressure on Morgan; slow developing passes against blitzes? Also some coverages sacks. Long throws downfield, not being completed. Illinois is playing with speed and passion.

Half-time. We close out the half by missing a 45 yard FG attempt after being pushed back by holding penalty. Illinois 14-0. Our offense is out of synch; we’re getting “behind the chains” because our run game cannot get established. And we’re making a few mistakes. Illinois is holding the ball with ground and pound. Chase Brown crosses 109 yards early in third quarter. Game still winnable if our offense gets in gear.

I was in Denver Friday before the game. I had a bad feeling about the matchup. I also didn't want to leave Colorado but that's another story.. I sold my ticket and changed my flight that day. Didn't even bother watching it. First time I ever did that in my many years of being a season ticket holder. Glad I did.

We’re trying to pass, but blocking is breaking down. Morgan scrambling a lot, trying to throw on the run—good effort but not his strong suit. Our play calling and routes must be predictable. No one is ever open. Can’t recall seeing Dylan Wright on the field. We are throwing deep into double coverage; ball in the air a long time. Holding penalties hurting running plays. Ky and Bucky starting to look good. Our receivers are being abused by Illinois CBs.

Last edited:

I was in Denver Friday before the game. I had a bad feeling about the matchup. I also didn't want to leave Colorado but that's another story.. I sold my ticket and changed my flight that day. Didn't even bother watching it. First time I ever did that in my many years of being a season ticket holder. Glad I did.
Your premonition was right.

Was this our first game without Mo, Trey or Bryce? Maybe the lack of tough game experience at RB played a part. We are actually trying to pass a lot, but Tanner is getting pursued and sacked. Man coverage but our receivers can’t get any separation.

Last edited:

Still 14-0 at the end of the third quarter. Illinois scored twice early on nice drives. Now has us on the ground, sitting on our chest. Classic Bielema. We entered game ranked #20 in the country. Our offense looks overmatched; defense isn’t able to give us a field position advantage with a turnover. Our run game is stopped and our rusty, little used pass game looks ill-prepared. CAB out injured.

Last edited:

Into fourth quarter. illinois has bottled up our run game, yet is bringing great pressure against our passing game. Are we too predictable in run-pass mix? Illinois is simply outplaying us. 10 minutes left. We can’t throw the ball; Illinois had our limited passing offense sized up and thwarted. If you rely on the run too much and deemphasize passing, it is just too difficult to suddenly rely on your passing game. Especially with CAB out and D. Wright not playing(?). We are throwing deep mostly. Dylan Wright makes a catch on a shallow cross. Where has he been in passing game???

BSF making some key catches. Tanner picking the right guys. We have abandoned run game. Our OL is having a poor game. Can’t punch it in from one yard line.

Tanner scores on a bootleg at 4:49 of fourth quarter. We miss the extra point. 14-6.

Illinois running out the clock; 100% run plays. Punts to the Gophers’ 2 yard line. Dylan Wright with 36 yard reception! Where was he earlier? Next play Morgan sacked. Next play Morgan throws interception. Game over.

Our vaunted OL was manhandled in this game. We couldn’t run consistently but also couldn’t protect Morgan, who was pursued all game.

Illinois appeared to want it a lot more than we did. We didn’t look like a ranked team … and after game we weren’t ranked, I believe.

I am not looking forward to playing Illinois this year. Chase Brien is still there. Our passing game better be sharp and healthy to complement our run game.

For the love of god stop giving updates that make us relive that afternoon.
Sorry! I apologize. I missed the game. I wanted to believe that we should have beat Illinois, that we were in the game, etc. After watching the game I have to say we deserved to lose. We were out-coached and out-played. Illinois also beat Penn State, last year, I think. We should beat Illinois this year (in Champaign) if we play with passion and a well-rounded game plan. But fail on either of those counts, and … 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Last edited:

I wasn’t able to see this game live. The Fighting Bielema’s played a great first quarter. Powerful running game; controlled LOS. Tanner led off with an interception and looked off. Down 14-0 after the first play in the second quarter.
Cool story.

Now do wisconsin

The victory over WVU in the Guaranteed rate Bowl from 12/21 was on Sunday. The Purdue at Minnesota game from '14 was on overnight. The Gopher beating tOSU from 10/20 was on Tuesday as was the '19 victory over Penn State. BTN replayed the Gopher victory at Nebraska on 10/21 was also replayed this past week.

Should have given a play-by-play of any of them.

Illinois played Fleckball right back at us. Sad game.

I had forgotten this until this week's new episode of Gopher Gridiron Radio:

Jabba the Hutt is undefeated against the Gopher football team. He is 8-0 as a head coach with Wisconsin and Illinois versus the Gophers.

maybe this year? Gophers play at Illinois, and will be coming off a bye week.

please, let there be a 2-pt conversion somewhere, so Fleck can say "I was just following the card."

Some of the player substitutions and playcalling on offense were mind boggling.

Total barf game. We absolutely deserved to lose.

please, let there be a 2-pt conversion somewhere, so Fleck can say "I was just following the card."
I think it would be better if, at the post-game press conference, Fleck says, "I was just following the card" and shows a large piece of cardboard paper reading "KICK ILLINOIS ASS".

Thank you GopherGrandpa. Look on the bright side. This game gave us KC back and a brighter future.

I think this was the game where most people felt Sanford should be fired.

Illinois defense was much improved, but we should have scored more than 6 points.
It's like we decided to not use our weapons until it was too late, and for those worried about out O-line being worse, it can't be much worse when it comes to pass protection.

Can you do Nebraska at Minnesota, 1983 next?

Can you do Nebraska at Minnesota, 1983 next?

Let's just say a lot has changed since 1983.

Gopher Football - UP
Nebraska Football - DOWN
Stadium - UP
TV Production - UP
Shirt Tails - DOWN
Home Attendance - DOWN

Nebraska with several future NFL stars and top draft picks, but Gophers have the options trading guy from CNBC trying to hold 'em under 100

Top Bottom