Watch this year? Free or Paid.

BarnBoy

Reaction score
Question for the community:
Is there a way to watch the games online this year? Even if there is a charge.

My wife dropped the hammer on our cable package.

(Sorry about the semi-coherent title. I accidentally hit the "return" key before I was done editing... can't edit titles)

We have the standard cable and cable modem via Comcast. I'll check out those links, thanks!

We have the standard cable and cable modem via Comcast. I'll check out those links, thanks!

Pretty sure you'll be able to get ESPN3 via your internet w/ Comcast (which should cover you for the USC, Nebraska, and probably most Big Ten contests. I don't think BTN2Go is affiliated with Comcast yet but I'm sure they're trying to get it done.

We also dropped our cable a few months ago, and I have no regrets. My only dilemma, like you, is live Gopher games. We dropped the cable internet as well though, and now use the Minneapolis city-wide wireless. It's a little slower than cable, but we watch shows off Netflix and the like, and it's fine for that. What kind of connection speed do you need for the sites above? Equal to that required for Netflix or more?

Otherwise, I figure it's a good excuse to spend the afternoon at the bar.

We also dropped our cable a few months ago, and I have no regrets. My only dilemma, like you, is live Gopher games. We dropped the cable internet as well though, and now use the Minneapolis city-wide wireless. It's a little slower than cable, but we watch shows off Netflix and the like, and it's fine for that. What kind of connection speed do you need for the sites above? Equal to that required for Netflix or more?

Otherwise, I figure it's a good excuse to spend the afternoon at the bar.

You need probably as good if not better connect than you need for Netflix, but it's only available to certain providers, and I'm 99.9% sure the City of Minneapolis is not one of them.

I don't think ESPN3 picks up most of the Big Ten contests. I don't think you get anything that's on Big Ten Network through that.

However, ESPN 3 is awesome for the bowls, as they're all on there. Also, if you have an Xbox 360, you can download an app that allows you to watch ESPN 3 on your TV. I have a relatively lousy internet connection in my apartment and I have no problem streaming games, even if they aren't always in the highest quality.

I read all of these stories in the media and hear them from friends about how they have cut cable and are saving money.

I could never do it because I like live sports too much.

I cut cable mostly because I found that when I have it, I feel compelled to watch it. Before I know it I've been on my freakin' duff for four hours watching reruns of "Everybody Loves Raymond" or some other show that I don't really like. If I want to watch sports, I stroll down to the corner bar. It's more expensive moneywise, but then I don't have the constant temptation to waste a day watching TV. It's worked out pretty well. It's a plan that works particularly well for football, it might be way I've kind of swapped out baseball for college football as my number one sport of interest.

I'll rant against Comcast some other time, as they are on my list of enemies. I can't have a dish, so I'm stuck. I've threatened to give up cable numerous times, but can't do it. I'd miss too many sports. I am on about a 3-year string of calling them and threatening to dump their service. They'll always cut you a deal to stay. Then, when that runs out, just call them again. It works very well if you threaten to cancel at the end of May. I think a lot of people dump cable for the summer, so they're happy to work with you to keep your business.

I ditched cable a while back. All those channels and nothing on. The final straw was having the Insight Bowl on the NFL Network which you had to pay extra to get that package. I can always go to a friends house to watch the games, or go to a bar.

I'm not sure that BTN to go works without cable TV. If you read the website, it says:
Do I need to receive BTN at home to get BTN2Go?
Yes.
I think you have to have a TV package that includes BTN. That would make it just like HBO Go and not available with just internet or internet/TV where the TV package you choose lacks BTN.

We dumped extended Comcast in the Spring and I am also trying to figure out what I am going to do. I just may have to go back to cable for the Gopher and Viking seasons.

I'm looking to dump cable as well and the BTN online streaming looked like a good option, but looking at their live events schedule, they show lot's of women's volleyball and field hockey, but it looks like only audio for football.

I sent an email to customer service and will post what they reply. I would gladly play 15 bucks a month for football and basketball if it means I can cancel my cable bill.

Top Bottom