Was MN ever a helmet school and if so, when did it end?

Great chart. If one was to redo this chart and place heavier weight on recent years, it would look a little different especially in the next rung down. Clemson, LSU, and Georgia probably replace Nebraska, USC, Texas, Michigan and maybe Notre Dame.

AP Top 25 2000-2019.jpg

Sorry the font is so small. Don't know how to embed into the message itself.

My thoughts on Notre Dame - they are maybe in a class of their own in status. It is a national brand. People that do not even watch football know what Notre Dame is. Notre Dame could go 0 and whatever next year and could still pull in one of the better recruiting classes in the country.

I like "national brand" and how that might be distinct from "helmet school." Oregon is clearly a national brand, but I wouldn't consider it to be a helmet school. Same with wisconsin and the Canes.

View attachment 6451

Sorry the font is so small. Don't know how to embed into the message itself.

To summarize, since 2000:
Tier 1: Oklahoma, Ohio State, Alabama
Tier 2: LSU, Georgia, Florida, USC, Texas, Oregon, Florida State, Clemson, Miami
Tier 3: Michigan, V-Tech, Wisconsin, Auburn, Notre Dame, TCU, Nebraska, Boise State
Tier 4: Everyone else that has been ranked at least 20 weeks.
There is a big gap between tier 1 and tier 2; a smaller gap between tier 2 and tier 3; and an extremely small gap between tier 3 and tier 4

Top Bottom