Warren suggests future B1G Tourneys could be held in LA

The BTT at the Staples Center would be such an abysmal atmosphere. Can you imagine the Weakling Wednesday crowd in DT LA for Rutgers vs Nebraska? Heck, I can't imagine the semis and finals would be even half full at any arena in LA.

Sigh.

Go Gophers!!

4-5 meaningless grueling games in 4-5 days... right before the real tournament starts.

The BTT at the Staples Center would be such an abysmal atmosphere. Can you imagine the Weakling Wednesday crowd in DT LA for Rutgers vs Nebraska? Heck, I can't imagine the semis and finals would be even half full at any arena in LA.

Sigh.

Go Gophers!!
Seems crazy to have the Big 10 Tourney in Los Angeles, when they don't even have the Pac 12 Tourney there currently.

They play it in Las Vegas.

Also with a 16 team conference, half the teams will be playing on Weakling Wednesday.

Skeptical it would be successful there, but not surprising he threw it out there.

Only if it’s once every 10+ years. I would love for them to do it every other year in Indy, then rotate a number of locations in the years it isn’t in Indy.

Also with a 16 team conference, half the teams will be playing on Weakling Wednesday.
Not if they do away with double byes
Or add a triple bye

Wed/Thursday 8 games all the same round
Friday 4 games
Saturday 2 games
Sunday championship

Or

1-4 all the way to Friday for 4 games
5-8 have a bye until Thursday
9-12 have a bye until weakling Wednesday
13-16 play a terrible tuesday

Much like MSG, you give them one to check it off the list. But then never do it again.

Not if they do away with double byes
Or add a triple bye

Wed/Thursday 8 games all the same round
Friday 4 games
Saturday 2 games
Sunday championship

Or

1-4 all the way to Friday for 4 games
5-8 have a bye until Thursday
9-12 have a bye until weakling Wednesday
13-16 play a terrible tuesday
All of those are possible as well as potentially moot when (if) the conference expands to 18 or 20 teams.

Saying that, I think Conferences/Coaches want to reward the higher performing teams in the regular season with byes, so I don't envision that changing. Every power conference has maintained byes for their Conference Tourneys.

Another possibility is not every team even gets a berth in the Conference Tourney.

All of those are possible as well as potentially moot when (if) the conference expands to 18 or 20 teams.

Saying that, I think Conferences/Coaches want to reward the higher performing teams in the regular season with byes, so I don't envision that changing. Every power conference has maintained byes for their Conference Tourneys.

Another possibility is not every team even gets a berth in the Conference Tourney.
I think triple bye or 13-16 don’t qualify is the most likely scenario.
BUT
If they think there is a possibility of the 13 seed being a bubble team they will definitely want a model that keeps them in the tourney. I would think a 13 COULD be a bubble team in some certain situations so I am guessing triple bye

BUT
If they think there is a possibility of the 13 seed being a bubble team they will definitely want a model that keeps them in the tourney. I would think a 13 COULD be a bubble team in some certain situations so I am guessing triple bye
In a 16, 18 or 20 team conference most definitely a 13 seed in the BTT could be in the hunt for an NCCA bid.

The NCAA Tourney could expand by then too, so any guess is possible as to how it will play out.

Lots of possible inventory for the Big 10 Network.

BUT
I would be very surprised if they leave any teams out. No conferences do that currently and the "there's always the conference tournament" gives teams who have bad starts hope.

I would be very surprised if they leave any teams out. No conferences do that currently and the "there's always the conference tournament" gives teams who have bad starts hope.
I agree, but if power conferences supersize beyond 16 teams (none are there yet) that philosophy may change. The logistics of accommodating everyone, may just not be feasible.

Seems crazy to have the Big 10 Tourney in Los Angeles, when they don't even have the Pac 12 Tourney there currently.

With conference expansion Gophers are running out off opportunities to avoid Weakling Wednesday.

I agree, but if power conferences supersize beyond 16 teams (none are there yet) that philosophy may change. The logistics of accommodating everyone, may just not be feasible.
Perhaps a "play-in" tournament the week-end before in some lesser place like Cedar Falls or Green Bay. :cool:

Keep the tourney in the Midwest where the majority of the teams are (easier to travel for most fans) - or like GophersInIowa stated, every other year in Indy and then rotate on off years to different sites.

Warren claims to be an intelligent and bold leader. If that's really the case...he should scrap the Big Ten Tournament. It's a horrible & stupid meaningless (actually detrimental) tournament...do they really need to squueze every single possible dollar out, when they're already making billions??

Maybe even 1st round at home arenas. Why not?
Will we really pack the Barn for our #13 Gophers vs. #16 Nebraska? Get some smaller town to embrace it and maybe the locals will come.

Will we really pack the Barn for our #13 Gophers vs. #16 Nebraska? Get some smaller town to embrace it and maybe the locals will come.
I don't think any small town exists that would embrace it, especially on a short notice. The game would be played for TV anyway, so cut down on travel and make only 1 team go on the road.

Just spit ballin'.

I don't think any small town exists that would embrace it, especially on a short notice. The game would be played for TV anyway, so cut down on travel and make only 1 team go on the road.

Just spit ballin'.
I would suggest it be in the same city every year. What city in Iowa is equal distance from Minneapolis, Lincoln and Evanston? :(

Vegas probably a much better option. Not sure how well attended other tournaments are there, but I suspect the tourism community would welcome fan bases from 16-20 teams. I'd probably go if schedule permitted.

Warren claims to be an intelligent and bold leader. If that's really the case...he should scrap the Big Ten Tournament. It's a horrible & stupid meaningless (actually detrimental) tournament...do they really need to squueze every single possible dollar out, when they're already making billions??

Your subtlety is annoying.

Vegas probably a much better option. Not sure how well attended other tournaments are there, but I suspect the tourism community would welcome fan bases from 16-20 teams. I'd probably go if schedule permitted.
I think the Pac 12 has done much better in Vegas than it did in LA. Not a tough ticket by any means by solid attendance. Odd given there is no Pac 12 school actually in the state of Nevada, though the Big 10 had it at MSG with no school in New York (I get Rutgers is close).

Also different sport, but I was at the Pac 12 Football Championship last year. Not quite a sell out, but pretty close. 90% full between Utah and Oregon. Felt very well received.

Lousy game though. Utes rolled.

We’ve packed it for home NIT games. I was there in 1980 when the Gophers beat Louisiana with Andrew Toney and it was one of the most fun games I’ve attended. Dutch kept taking McHale out as the game was well in hand. The crowd wouldn’t put up with it, though, and kept roaring “we want McHale! We want McHale!” Dutch would put him back in and the crowd went nuts. Happened two or three times.

We’ve packed it for home NIT games. I was there in 1980 when the Gophers beat Louisiana with Andrew Toney and it was one of the most fun games I’ve attended. Dutch kept taking McHale out as the game was well in hand. The crowd wouldn’t put up with it, though, and kept roaring “we want McHale! We want McHale!” Dutch would put him back in and the crowd went nuts. Happened two or three times.
Yes. And in the Clem era too. But now? NIT games were like half full the last time we made it.

Yes. And in the Clem era too. But now? NIT games were like half full the last time we made it.
Yeah...with Clem, our NIT games could be fun. Because we had a chance to win it with a team that returned everyone.

Me personally...I would only enjoy the NIT and Big Ten Tournament for gaining experience for returning players. If some guys like it for other reasons, that's fine too.

Top Bottom