Waconia F Shelby Moats To Take Gopher Visit

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Monter:

Shelby Moats, a 6-foot-7 junior forward from Waconia (MN) High who has already picked up three scholarship offers, will make an unofficial visit to Minnesota this weekend. GoldenSports.Net recently caught up with Moats to learn the latest on his recruitment and expectations for the upcoming season.

Shelby Moats has scholarship offers from Utah, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and South Dakota State. He averaged 13.8 points per game as a sophomore as he led the Wildcats to an 18-8 mark, losing to Holy Angels 48-46 in the first round of the section playoffs. Waconia was 5-6 before rolling off twelve straight wins. Moats scored in double figures in 20 of 26 games and had a season-best 28 points versus Mound-Westonka.

Moats played for the very successful Minnesota Pump N Run 16-and-under AAU team that won several top tournaments this spring.

Moats has scholarship offers from Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Utah. He is also hearing from Iowa State, Denver, Butler, Northern Iowa, Colorado State, Minnesota, South Dakota State, Liberty, Penn, Harvard, Princeton, and Iowa.

Moats attended camps at Colorado State and Iowa. He has shown more of a face the basket game in the past few months, which has caused his recruitment to pick up.

Moats said that he is hearing from several schools more than the others.

"A lot of Utah. I got a letter from Butler. They called. Iowa State sent some. William & Mary. A lot of the Ivy League schools are calling. Northern Iowa is pretty interested. They came to an open gym last Sunday. South Dakota State came up. A lot of letters. Green Bay still. They offered. Utah, Wisconsin-Green Bay and Wisconsin-Milwaukee have offered scholarships. SDSU (South Dakota State) didn't offer, because they did not see me post up enough or something like that."

Moats has gotten to show some leadership ability in the Twin Cities Fall League with a young Waconia team.

"Yes, of course. Especially the sophomores and freshmen. I can try to help them, because I went through the same situation as a freshman, too. I was the little guy. I can only choose to encourage them to do the best that they can do."

Moats looked like a giant among men as neither team appeared to have anyone else over six-foot on their roster. He continued to work on his outside game rather than simply utilize his height advantage for easy baskets inside.

"I like to work on the perimeter a lot, actually. They don't always to get it inside, so it seems more fun to control things. When it is a team like this, it is more fun to just get up and down the court."

Moats is a 4.0 student, but he hasn't decided on a potential college major.

"I have not, actually. I am not sure what I want to study. It is all up in the air."

Moats is also taking some courses to prepare for the rigors of academic life in college.

"I am taking AP World History and I am taking a college class on-line that will get my English credits in college."

Moats said that he is planing on checking out some of the schools that have expressed interest in him this fall.

"I think that I will go to a few in the Midwest. Green Bay and Milwaukee and maybe go down to UNI and maybe out to the Dakotas. Just stay around."

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/905077.html

Go Gophers!!

He's VERY young. Too early to tell how good he could be.

He is young, but he definitely has a bit of a man-child look to him. He has a very smooth, solid jumpshot. He's a legit shooter. Not just a guy that can make it from time-to-time. It's a strong, consistent stroke.

Not sure if he'll end up in the Big Ten, but there is a chance. Smart for the Gophers to be engaged with him if he does turn out.

p.s. Are there any players that UW-Green Bay HASN'T offered? Geez.

He is young, but he definitely has a bit of a man-child look to him. He has a very smooth, solid jumpshot. He's a legit shooter. Not just a guy that can make it from time-to-time. It's a strong, consistent stroke.

Not sure if he'll end up in the Big Ten, but there is a chance. Smart for the Gophers to be engaged with him if he does turn out.

p.s. Are there any players that UW-Green Bay HASN'T offered? Geez.

That's funny. It does seem like they offer to just about every decent basketball player in the upper-Midwest. I guess they cast a huge net and see what they can reel in.

Wisconsin junior Paul Jesperson will also visit unofficially this weekend.

Wisconsin junior Paul Jesperson will also visit unofficially this weekend.

Paul is a very interesting prospect. He's a legit 6'6", maybe 7", but very thin. Despite his height, he is a very good ball-handler. He actually plays PG for his HS team (Merrill, WI). His best skill at this point is his perimeter shooting, as he is very dangerous from beyond the arc. The knock on Paul is his lack of weight and strength. At this point, he can be pushed around and taken out of a game by some physical defense. If he is able to develop physically over the next year or so, I think he will get some high major offers.

Marcus Paige, 2012 PG from Iowa, is apparently visiting this weekend as well. Paige and Jesperson are probably just coming to see the Badgers. :D

"Minnesota plays host to a couple of notable talents this weekend as 6-5 SG Paul Jesperson of Merrill (Wisconsin) and 6-1 PG Marcus Paige of Linn-Mar (Iowa) are both set to take unofficial visits to UM this weekend. Jesperson is one of the top 2011 prospects in the state of Wisconsin and is one of the top pure shooters in the country while Paige is a consensus top 50 national prospect in the 2012 class and an excellent all around floor talent. Paige captured M.V.P. honors for the 15U division at the 2009 NY2LA Sports Summer Jam event this past July after leading his Martin Brothers Select 15U squad to the Platinum Division championship. Jesperson continues to see his stock soar as Stanford inquired about the sharpshooting talent this week."

http://ny2lasports.com/NY2LA Sports Articles/Oct2NewsNNotes.htm

Add Marvin Singleton to the list.

Marvin is a very strong player physically. He's only a junior, but he already has filled out quite nicely. The only thing is he doesn't really have a position. At 6-4, he posts up quite a bit, which is something he won't be able to do in college unless he grows 3-4 inches. He runs the floor GREAT, but doesn't shoot all that well from downtown. I watched Hopkins play a million last season, and I saw some exciting things from Marvin.

Marcus Paige, 2012 PG from Iowa, is apparently visiting this weekend as well. Paige and Jesperson are probably just coming to see the Badgers. :D

"Minnesota plays host to a couple of notable talents this weekend as 6-5 SG Paul Jesperson of Merrill (Wisconsin) and 6-1 PG Marcus Paige of Linn-Mar (Iowa) are both set to take unofficial visits to UM this weekend. Jesperson is one of the top 2011 prospects in the state of Wisconsin and is one of the top pure shooters in the country while Paige is a consensus top 50 national prospect in the 2012 class and an excellent all around floor talent. Paige captured M.V.P. honors for the 15U division at the 2009 NY2LA Sports Summer Jam event this past July after leading his Martin Brothers Select 15U squad to the Platinum Division championship. Jesperson continues to see his stock soar as Stanford inquired about the sharpshooting talent this week."

http://ny2lasports.com/NY2LA Sports Articles/Oct2NewsNNotes.htm

Paige is a top 50 national prospect with only three-stars? I'm not sure it really matters, but I just found that interesting. I've never heard of Jesperson before, but it's encouraging to see Tubby go after shooters because we all know the Gophers need deep threats.

What's with all these underclassmen suddenly visiting this weekend?

St Paul Johnson junior PG Estan Tyler was also on an unofficial visit today.

Top Bottom