VOTE: 2024 Gophers Schedule - JoeCool

What will Goldy's 2024 record be?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

JoeCool

Reaction score
Vote on Goldy's record!

Took a little time to put this together, but I've written entertaining blurbs for each of our 2024 games. Feel free to read up on each of our opponents!

Minnesota Golden Gophers 2024 Football Schedule

Minnesota vs. UNC - August 29. -Thursday night lights! UNC lost Drake Maye to the NFL Draft, but found a new Defensive Coordinator in Geoff Collins, former Georgia Tech HC. In 2023, North Carolina finished 79th in the country with 29 points allowed per game.

Minnesota vs. Rhode Island - September 7. -Saturday revenge! Look for Gophers QB Max Brosmer to avenge his loss, as last year his New Hampshire Wildcats (4-4 in conference), fell to the Rhode Island Rams (4-4 in conference), by an OT score of 34-28. An upgraded surrounding cast for Mr. Max should more than do the trick.

Minnesota vs. Nevada - September 14. -Nevada is a program in flux with a first-year head coach, a brand-new offense, and a fan base with struggling attendance. A recent Nevada fan poll projected 3 to 4 wins for the 2024 season.
Notable Nevada player: Class of 2020, #1 overall MN high-school recruit, Kaden Johnson.

Minnesota vs. Iowa - September 21. -4 weeks in a row at Huntington Bank!? Yes! New Iowa OC Tim Lester spent the past year as an offensive analyst with the Green Bay Packers, and so far in Des Moines, his use of pre-snap motion has turned heads. The defense loses DB Cooper DeJean to the NFL, but QB Cade McNamara is back for another year after tearing his ACL in 2023.

Minnesota at Michigan - September 28. -The Gophers are headed to the Big House. Michigan loses key players in QB JJ McCarthy, RB Blake Corum, DB Mike Sainristil, and DT Kris Jenkins. This will be the first time Michigan will be without coach Jim Harbaugh since its Week 13 game against Ohio State just this last year.

Minnesota vs. USC - October 5. -USC in Minneapolis?! What’s going on?? USC’s Heisman-winning QB Caleb Williams is headed to the Chicago Bears, but backup Miller Moss just threw for a Holiday Bowl record 6 TD passes in their win over #15 Louisville. New USC defensive coordinator D’Anton Lynn looks to replicate the success he had at DC for UCLA in 2023, improving the unit from 87th in total defense in 2022, to 11th in 2023.

Minnesota at UCLA - October 12. -Vacation Week!! For many fans looking to take advantage of this recent conference expansion, this is the week! This will be new UCLA hire DeShaun Foster’s first-ever head coaching job, at any level. He takes over a team that went (4-5) in conference with an overall (8-5) record. Former UCLA HC Chip Kelly left for the OC job at Ohio State.

BYE WEEK - October 19.

Minnesota vs. Maryland - October 26.
-Terps vs. Gophers. Maryland’s offense passed the ball 57% of the time last year which finished 11th in the nation. However, the Terps lost longtime QB Taulia Tagovailoa, while retaining their HM All-B1G starting RB in Roman Hemby. If anything, look for a more balanced offensive gameplan from HC Mike Locksley and OC Josh Gattis. Great jersey matchup!

Minnesota at Illinois - November 2. -On the road again.. to Urbana-Champaign! Illinois retains much of its developing offensive talent in players like QB Luke Altmeyer, RB Kaden Feagin, and WR Malik Elzy. They lose defensive stopper DL Jer’Zhan Newton, but the largest obstacle remains, HC Bret Bielema.

Minnesota at Rutgers - November 9. -The Kaliakmanis game! The Gophers will head to the birthplace of college football where former Gophers starting QB Athan Kaliakmanis is currently in the heat of a spring ball competition with last year’s starter Gavin Wimsatt for the Scarlet Knights’ top QB spot. While Rutgers struggled to find production from their quarterback spot in 2023, HC Greg Schiano hopes to take advantage of the momentum gained in their Pinstripe Bowl win over Miami this past season.

BYE WEEK - November 16.

Minnesota vs Penn State - November 23.
-Upset watch? Much of Penn State’s success this year will hinge on QB Drew Allar. New OC Andy Kotelnicki comes from the Kansas Jayhawks where he helped HC Lance Leipold lead a program revival. This first year in Happy Valley could come with bumps and bruises, but he has proven his ability to put points on the board. Note: Former Penn Stater Christian Driver is undoubtedly getting up for this game.

Minnesota at Wisconsin - November 30. Take that Axe back! Head Coach Luke Fickell is in year two, and transfer portal addition Tyler Van Dyke looks to be the likely starter for the Badgers at the QB position. A transfer portal talent infusion in the linebacker group stands in direct contrast to the running back room with the departure of Braelon Allen for the NFL Draft. GO GOPHERS!! PARTY IN MADISON!!

I went 6-6 now I think 7-5 but will live with my decision. I added two wins for PJ getting it done plus our new QB is going to light it up. You heard it here first. If I am wrong forget where you heard it.

I went optimistically with 7-5, due to improved QB play.

At Mich prob no way, vs USC tough, at UCLA long road game after two tough weeks is tough, vs Penn State tough, and then one of Iowa/Wisc … as better than 50% chance of losing, for me now without seeing what we have.

I went with 7-5.
  • North Carolina W
  • Rhode Island W
  • Nevada W
  • Iowa W
  • Michigan L
  • USC L
  • UCLA L
  • Maryland W
  • Illinois W
  • Rutgers W
  • Penn State L
  • Wisconsin L
Could swap Iowa and Wisconsin for Ws, but Iowa is at home so picked that there. I think 7 wins is very possible, but depending on how things go, it could also easily be 6-6 or 8-4.

UCLA on the road could be a win, but then one of ILL-Mary-Rut could be a loss. We have tended to lose (at least) one Big Ten game per year over 2021-23 that we “shouldn’t have”.

I went 5-7. Dont think we are bad, but it’s a tough schedule and I am worried about the secondary, LB depth, and QB. I’m hoping PJ can steal a game or two, but he also seems to lose one he shouldn’t every year too…

I went 5-7. Dont think we are bad, but it’s a tough schedule and I am worried about the secondary, LB depth, and QB. I’m hoping PJ can steal a game or two, but he also seems to lose one he shouldn’t every year too…
I know where you are comming from. I am thinking steal two, lose one where we wonder wtf.

Top Bottom