Visiting from TCU

This will give you an idea of what's going on at the fair. I'll sum it up for you, but also show that I'm not kidding.

:00 - 1:00 Family is introduced
1:00 - 2:00 Bad Marching Bands
2:00 - 3:00 Guy gets into the act....surprise, eats fatty fried food
3:00 - 4:30 Kid eats an entire Gummy Bear (the size of a small rabbit) This might be the highlight of the clip
4:30 - 5:30 Wife eats an 18 inch Corn Dog. (nasty!)
5:30 - 6:15 Eating with really bad music in the background. I hated this part.
6:15 - 7:00 Dude gets sold a super scraper for his home grill
7:00 - 8:00 Games! Beer Belly Guy (he does have an impressive beer belly) watches in the background
8:00 - A bucket of Cookies and a Big Fat Fried Slap of Bacon. I love bacon, but not anymore after seeing this.

Final Calorie Count: 9,301 (I'm serious...they counted how many calories they consumed. They only counted 120 calories for the Slab of Bacon. I'm not buying that)

I won't lie. i fast forwarded straight to the wife taking down the 18 inch corn dog. Its great to see parents raising their child to be a diabetic. God bless this country.

Nevermind...found a thread just like this one from a month ago. I'll just go read it. Carry on.

Post #2, but an entertaining thread nonetheless. Carry on.

I haven't figured out the State Fair yet. A lot of people rave about - my idea of people watching is not the Corndog on a Stick Crowd. It's crowded, sweaty, and I think there are better venues. But, our State Fair is rated 2nd to only Texas; so if that's their thing, the State Fair would be a good place to check out.

I do like the idea about biking around the lakes. This is entirely different and is something that really sets the Minneapolis area apart from most cities. I will say the people watching is better in the lakes area than just about anywhere.

Just my opinion on this. I really wish I liked the State Fair as most people I know think it's awesome.

The Texas State Fair ranks first? Jeez, wild horses couldn't drag me to that mouth-breather convention. Plus it's in Dallas. Hell naw.

Ok finished reading the thread now. Thanks for all the tips. Your state fair sounds better than ours, which is basically car shows, carnies and carbohydrates. Might check it out. Probably skip the mall. I shopped once, and imagine the experience is fairly universal. No Twins game for me; pro baseball is just too depressing for us Rangers fans at the moment. We're basically reduced to making fun of the A's facial hair and occasional bouts of Josh Hamilton schadenfreude. Probably just check out downtown a bit and, depending on the game outcome, either drink heavily or drink extremely heavily. Off to go watch Fargo now don't cha know.

Ok finished reading the thread now. Thanks for all the tips. Your state fair sounds better than ours, which is basically car shows, carnies and carbohydrates. Might check it out. Probably skip the mall. I shopped once, and imagine the experience is fairly universal. No Twins game for me; pro baseball is just too depressing for us Rangers fans at the moment. We're basically reduced to making fun of the A's facial hair and occasional bouts of Josh Hamilton schadenfreude. Probably just check out downtown a bit and, depending on the game outcome, either drink heavily or drink extremely heavily. Off to go watch Fargo now don't cha know.

You'll fit in nicely ;-)

The Texas State Fair ranks first? Jeez, wild horses couldn't drag me to that mouth-breather convention. Plus it's in Dallas. Hell naw.
Texas is first in terms of overall attendance, Minnesota has a higher per day attendance but runs for fewer days. MN State Fair is also self sufficient and hasn't received any state funding since the 1940's, which is rare among state fairs nationwide.

FYI, regarding Fargo, most of the people you will encounter here do not have that heavy accent, but certainly some do have it. If you happen to watch bystander interviews on the TV news, or tune into talk radio, there are no shortage of people with some degree of that accent, although it is not anywhere close to the majority.

I have found that callers to sports radio shows that want to discuss Hockey, especially Minnesota Wild Hockey fans tend to have the Fargo accent most frequently. They also repeat "Ya know" (very long oooo in Know)about 10 times in a 60 second call.

If walking around and finding bars to have a few drinks at is your thing, then for sure you want to stay in downtown Minneapolis. When I travel to road football games I always try to find a hotel in the core so I can walk to series of places and try some local craft beers and pick up a little local flavor. In some of the Big Ten road stops it is hard to do that, but Minneapolis is probably one of the better road stops for non football activity.

Do not get talked into staying anywhere else other than the cluster of Hotels near the south Nicollet Mall (Hyatt, Hilton, Ivy, Millennium) or the few a little further north in the Hennepin/ 1st Ave area near 6th/7th Streets (Radisson, Marriott, Loews, W, Westin) The Aloft or previously mentioned Depot Renaissance are nice hotels and still downtown, but a little more remote, so you are not looking at walking out the front door and being within a block or two of bunch of fun bars and restaurants like you are at some of the other places.

If you wait until the days right before the game you should be able to get a great hotel for $60 to 85 per night on Priceline, Trivago, Booking.com or even Hotwire.

Why does MN have to be home to the Queen of the Tea-Tards?!?

Keep your liberal claptrap over in the off-topic forum please.

Back to our Frog's friend. Agree, skip the MOA. Stillwater is cool, but it's probably 40 minute drive from downtown Mpls. So, I'm guessing that is not going to happen.

Are you a beer fan? If yes, you need to take a trip across the river to the area known as The Nordeast area. There are some awesome craft beer taprooms: Indeed, Dangerous Man, and 612 to name a few. There are also some good restaurants over there. It's a 5 minute cab ride. If you're not a craft beer guy, I'd cab it over to the Uptown area. You can walk around Lake of the Isles and Lake Calhoun area, also great restaurants over there, as well.

Top Bottom