Visiting from TCU

GoFrogs

Reaction score
The mrs and I are flying up for the game this year. Hate that it's on a weeknight before a holiday weekend...hope we can get a decent number of fans up there.

Need some suggestions from the locals. We collect Marriott points, so the Courtyard next to the law school is probably option #1 for us, but the Twins are hosting the White Sox Thursday at noon, so not sure if we should look further from the Metrodome. We're open to suggestions. Will be in town Thursday and Friday nights. What should be on the itinerary? Is the mall really worth a trip? Do you have rail or will we be cabbing it?

Looking forward to it. Your fans were awesome last year. Hope we return the favor. Gracias!

Nevermind...found a thread just like this one from a month ago. I'll just go read it. Carry on.

The mrs and I are flying up for the game this year. Hate that it's on a weeknight before a holiday weekend...hope we can get a decent number of fans up there.

Need some suggestions from the locals. We collect Marriott points, so the Courtyard next to the law school is probably option #1 for us, but the Twins are hosting the White Sox Thursday at noon, so not sure if we should look further from the Metrodome. We're open to suggestions. Will be in town Thursday and Friday nights. What should be on the itinerary? Is the mall really worth a trip? Do you have rail or will we be cabbing it?

Looking forward to it. Your fans were awesome last year. Hope we return the favor. Gracias!

Marriott Renaissance Depot in DT Minneapolis is a short/inexpensive cab ride to the U of M and walking distance to the see the Twins. Many out-of-towners do exactly what you're planning and choose this hotel. Basically it puts you right on the edge of DT Mpls so you can walk to all the night life, restaurants, Twins stadium, etc. and on game day, you can be on campus in 10 minutes. I wouldn't be shocked if the team was staying there actually. I know many visiting teams do.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mspdd-renaissance-minneapolis-hotel-the-depot/

Well, the Twins don't play at the dome any longer. Also use Uber instead of our crappy cabs here.

You will want to stay at one of the following hotels, most of which are in walking distance of many things and a few minute cab or train ride to the stadium.

--Commons Hotel , a very high end hotel on campus within view of the stadium
-Courtyard at the Depot, or Maybe the newer Aloft Hotel on Washington
-W or the Westin Downtown
-Ivy, or Hilton downtown -
-South Nicollet Mall/ Nic. Mall area - Hyatt, Radisson, Marriott, Loews (former Graves 601)
-couple of boutique hotels downtown

I would say no to the Mall of America. Unless of course shopping is your thing. Uptown with the lakes could be an option.

As for activities you might want to take in the MN State Fair to compare it to the one in TX.

I'd probably go over to Stillwater and take one of the River cruises, and hang around the town. Other unique options would be one of the cruises from Harriet Island in St. Paul that heads upriver for a few miles, or a trip to Excelsior or Wayzata with some sort of excursion on Lake Minnetonka.

If you are into bicycling, you could rent a bike (not Niceride, but a normal bike) and take a nice 30-50 mile ride around town and see some nice sights, with a few stops for beer or coffee. (along the river, Minnehaha park, over to the lakes, back to downtown or into St. Paul. If I was on a road trip in a new town during the first couple of weeks of the football season and the weather was in the '80s or 90's that is probably what I would do with a couple of dips at one of the beaches mixed in. I did something like this in SoCal before the USC game and it was great.

Welcome to Minnesota - I hope you enjoy your stay. In recent years, we built a few light rail lines that link the mall, St. Paul, and Minneapolis (airport, Target Field, and TCF Bank stadium inclusive). At the Marriott-Downtown, you are a short distance from the Mississippi and the Stone Arch Bridge (walking and bike rentals). I would probably Uber a trip to uptown, if you want to spend some time near the lakes. A cruise on the St. Croix river near Stillwater probably isn't bad either albeit, about a half an hour from Minneapolis. Minnetonka is pretty nice as well. At either one, you're looking at a cruise as there isn't much in the realm of public parks. Lots of nice places to eat downtown Minneapolis too - rooftop at Britt's is nice. The State Fair is good for people watching and food on a stick.

Welcome to Minnesota - I hope you enjoy your stay. In recent years, we built a few light rail lines that link the mall, St. Paul, and Minneapolis (airport, Target Field, and TCF Bank stadium inclusive). At the Marriott-Downtown, you are a short distance from the Mississippi and the Stone Arch Bridge (walking and bike rentals). I would probably Uber a trip to uptown, if you want to spend some time near the lakes. A cruise on the St. Croix river near Stillwater probably isn't bad either albeit, about a half an hour from Minneapolis. Minnetonka is pretty nice as well. At either one, you're looking at a cruise as there isn't much in the realm of public parks. Lots of nice places to eat downtown Minneapolis too - rooftop at Britt's is nice. The State Fair is good for people watching and food on a stick.

Wow, your post just after mine suggested many of the same options!

except name two most Craptastic things in Minnesota? The State Fair and The Mall of America

The Mall of America is a big, boring, sterile pile of crap and no person should ever go out of their way to mention it or spend any money there. Send them to the farmers market or Midtown Market. Mall of America??? Really???? I guess the Iowa and Nebraska fans really like that S##THOLE, so let them go there, and spare the nice TCU fans that indignity. I suspect a North Minneapolis urban walking tour would actually be more interesting; than some godawful Mall of America POS.

Unless you really like seeing draft horses, nice cows, prize hogs, and other farm animals up close the State Fair is one more steaming pile of crap. I do like the farm animal aspects of the fair (and the other exhibits), but everything else about the State Fair is a rip off and is to me hell on earth. Unless you get into the fair for free and actually hang out in the barns it is the worst of all worlds, and never direct anyone you care about to visit it. Let us not pretend there is anything magical in the state fair unless you like watching Frank and Amelia live and collecting free paper bags and magnets, and paying $9 for a formerly frozen food product that cost the seller $ .50.

Well, the Twins don't play at the dome any longer. Also use Uber instead of our crappy cabs here.

Why does everyone hate on our cabs here? Half the time Uber charges way too much and its very easy to grab a taxi anywhere down town and pretty easy on campus to get back downtown.

I thought the cabs here were bad until I went to Orlando for the Citrus bowl and found it cost over $50 to travel 13 miles from airport to downtown or from International drive to downtown.

I did not take a cab in either situation, but several groups of Minnesota fans were not happy, and I will avoid Orlando whenever I can in the future. Orlando is a wretched place, with the small Atlantic coastal towns 1 to 1.5 hours to the east being much preferable. I will assume that the gulf coast areas around Naples and Ft. Myers are much better, as that is where all the Wayzata big dollar Minnesota types gravitate towards.

I'll probably end up in a run down trailer park in the desert, but.....

Regardless, the cabs in MSP are more expensive and less professionally run than in Chicago, for sure.

Wow, your post just after mine suggested many of the same options!

except name two most Craptastic things in Minnesota? The State Fair and The Mall of America

The Mall of America is a big, boring, sterile pile of crap and no person should ever go out of their way to mention it or spend any money there. Send them to the farmers market or Midtown Market. Mall of America??? Really???? I guess the Iowa and Nebraska fans really like that S##THOLE, so let them go there, and spare the nice TCU fans that indignity. I suspect a North Minneapolis urban walking tour would actually be more interesting; than some godawful Mall of America POS.

Unless you really like seeing draft horses, nice cows, prize hogs, and other farm animals up close the State Fair is one more steaming pile of crap. I do like the farm animal aspects of the fair (and the other exhibits), but everything else about the State Fair is a rip off and is to me hell on earth. Unless you get into the fair for free and actually hang out in the barns it is the worst of all worlds, and never direct anyone you care about to visit it. Let us not pretend there is anything magical in the state fair unless you like watching Frank and Amelia live and collecting free paper bags and magnets, and paying $9 for a formerly frozen food product that cost the seller $ .50.

The State Fair is a lot more than just farm animals. My wife, who is an artist, found a building devoted to art and there was some very good work exhibited there. Plus there is entertainment, amusements, parades, music, and lots and lots of people to watch. In addition to all of the foods available on a stick, there are some good places to eat.

Suggesting the State Fair? Come on guys, let's be nice to our out of town guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The State Fair is a lot more than just farm animals. My wife, who is an artist, found a building devoted to art and there was some very good work exhibited there. Plus there is entertainment, amusements, parades, music, and lots and lots of people to watch. In addition to all of the foods available on a stick, there are some good places to eat.

I haven't figured out the State Fair yet. A lot of people rave about - my idea of people watching is not the Corndog on a Stick Crowd. It's crowded, sweaty, and I think there are better venues. But, our State Fair is rated 2nd to only Texas; so if that's their thing, the State Fair would be a good place to check out.

I do like the idea about biking around the lakes. This is entirely different and is something that really sets the Minneapolis area apart from most cities. I will say the people watching is better in the lakes area than just about anywhere.

Just my opinion on this. I really wish I liked the State Fair as most people I know think it's awesome.

I'm no fan of the Mall of America, but there are people who really like it. Some people fly in just to see it.

As for the State Fair, a whole lot of people seem to like it ...

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

I agree. The walk down Cosgrove from Randall to Dan Patch is the highlight of the Fair. Starting out at the Eco Experience, then a trip through the Fine Arts exhibit (where there is gallery quality art), then 4-H, Education and Creative Arts is always awesome. Then a trip to the U building.

Just throw out suggestions and let people decide for themselves if it's something they're interested in. Just because you don't like something does't mean that someone else will agree.

Just throw out suggestions and let people decide for themselves if it's something they're interested in. Just because you don't like something does't mean that someone else will agree.

You do know you're on GH, right? ;-)

I would check out local, neighborhood restaurants away from Uptown or downtown. Go to Sparks in Bryn Mawr, just west of DT Mpls. Or try Colossal Cafe in the St. Anthony neighborhood not far from the St. Paul campus on Como (excellent breakfast). Broder's on 50th & Penn is great, whether you go the deli or the pasta bar. MPLS is a great good town. IF you are Diner's, Driver In's, & Dive fans, Guy Fieri has done a bunch of places in the Cities, look them up and you will enjoy most of them. Welcome and enjoy our city!

This sounds great in theory, but if we did that and our guests went to the state fair, then it would be too late and we have done them a disservice. We are better hosts by telling them to stay clear of the State Fair - despite the fine art that is apparently located in the building next to the prize swine.

This sounds great in theory, but if we did that and our guests went to the state fair, then it would be too late and we have done them a disservice. We are better hosts by telling them to stay clear of the State Fair - despite the fine art that is apparently located in the building next to the prize swine.
I would never steer anyone away from the Fair, as long as you understand what you're getting into. Nothing is cheap, nothing is healthy, it's crowded, But it's really fun (at least for me). I like the energy of the Fair and the people watching is second to none. There are interesting demos, animals, equipment, musical shows, grandstand shows, and of course the parade. I would definitly reccommend that a visitor from out of the state visits the fair, it's a unique experience and one of the best fairs in the country.

This will give you an idea of what's going on at the fair. I'll sum it up for you, but also show that I'm not kidding.

:00 - 1:00 Family is introduced
1:00 - 2:00 Bad Marching Bands
2:00 - 3:00 Guy gets into the act....surprise, eats fatty fried food
3:00 - 4:30 Kid eats an entire Gummy Bear (the size of a small rabbit) This might be the highlight of the clip
4:30 - 5:30 Wife eats an 18 inch Corn Dog. (nasty!)
5:30 - 6:15 Eating with really bad music in the background. I hated this part.
6:15 - 7:00 Dude gets sold a super scraper for his home grill
7:00 - 8:00 Games! Beer Belly Guy (he does have an impressive beer belly) watches in the background
8:00 - A bucket of Cookies and a Big Fat Fried Slap of Bacon. I love bacon, but not anymore after seeing this.

Final Calorie Count: 9,301 (I'm serious...they counted how many calories they consumed. They only counted 120 calories for the Slab of Bacon. I'm not buying that)

This will give you an idea of what's going on at the fair. I'll sum it up for you, but also show that I'm not kidding.

Fantastic summary. And I still watched the whole thing.

The one thing I missed counting was the number of "Thumb's Up" signs the family gave us. I'll let the next viewer count that.

And I'm just guessing at this one, but I'll bet their final total also included at least one outhouse at home wrecked.

If they're TCU fans they're close to the Texas State Fair, which claims to be the biggest, but runs much longer than ours. If they're fair goers they might enjoy comparing, if they're not, they'll ignore my advice.

Just re-read your post and have some more thoughts.

- Stay at the Marriott Renaissance Depot in Mpls. It's the old Mpls train depot and has a lot of fun historical/train stuff built into it. It has a smaller water park if you're bringing kids. It's walking distance to everything you could want and it's an easy cab ride to campus for the game.

- You can take the Light Rail train from the airport and it drops you off 1-2 blocks from the Depot (hotel). MANY out-of-towners do this, it's not complicated not does it require much effort. You'll see people walking from the train platform, rolling a suitcase or carry on behind them. $2.50 per person I think, which is better than spending $50 + tip on a taxi.

- From the Depot (hotel) you can visit the Mill City Museum and do the flower tower tour. It's right on the Mississippi River, is a fun little history of Minneapolis tour and it's 2 blocks from the hotel.

- You might also consider NiceRide which is a bicycle sharing system we have. Maybe you have it in your area as well (?) but basically you go to a NiceRide stand, swipe a credit card and take a bicycle. It's not expensive at all and you can cover a lot of ground with that bike if you're staying DT.

- You're also walking/biking distance from St Anthony Main, which is the site of the first European settlement in Minneapolis, on the Mississippi and it's now a fun strip of bars/cafes/etc. Vic's is a great place to have dinner. It's good food, reasonably priced and has a deck that's open onto the street and river. Nice place to spend an evening when the weather's nice.

- Maybe stop at Nye's Polanaise Room, which is a blue collar bar and Mpls landmark that's scheduled for demolition next year. It's a very iconic bar here in the Twin Cities, not a tourist trap and generally a place I would want to visit if I were coming to your city.

- I'd skip the Mall of America (MOA), but that's just me. From you hotel you can take the light rail train straight to the MOA and you can sight-see on the train. If it's shopping you're after though, I'd recommend you instead walk down the Nicolett Mall. It's a pedestrian mall that runs the length of DT Mpls and has many big box stores like Macy's, Nieman Marcus, et al. It also has some great bars if you're out walking around like the Local and Britt's Pub.

- You'd also be close enough to walk to Target Field and take in a Twins game if you wanted?

- Basically, if you're staying at the Depot you have all of DT Mpls and the river at your disposal.

- The hotel also has taxi and town car service. You could tell the front desk you want a Town Car or SUV the next day (game day) and they'll schedule it for you. I think from the hotel to campus is only $10 in one of those, so why get in a piece of junk taxi and save $1.00?

- Someone else will have to fill you in on what to do on campus, but if I were you, I take the light rail in from the airport, use those Marriott Points at the Depot and rent a NiceRide bike for your off campus day.

:00 - 1:00 Family is introduced
1:00 - 2:00 Bad Marching Bands
2:00 - 3:00 Guy gets into the act....surprise, eats fatty fried food
3:00 - 4:30 Kid eats an entire Gummy Bear (the size of a small rabbit) This might be the highlight of the clip
4:30 - 5:30 Wife eats an 18 inch Corn Dog. (nasty!)
5:30 - 6:15 Eating with really bad music in the background. I hated this part.
6:15 - 7:00 Dude gets sold a super scraper for his home grill
7:00 - 8:00 Games! Beer Belly Guy (he does have an impressive beer belly) watches in the background
8:00 - A bucket of Cookies and a Big Fat Fried Slap of Bacon. I love bacon, but not anymore after seeing this.

Final Calorie Count: 9,301 (I'm serious...they counted how many calories they consumed. They only counted 120 calories for the Slab of Bacon. I'm not buying that)

So going by your synopsis: they didn't visit the animal barns, didn't see any of the educational exhibits, didn't see any of the art exhibitions, didn't visit the horticulture building, didn't see a barn demo, didn't watch any of the competitive horse riding. There's a lot more to the Fair than greasy food and the midway if you have a desire to learn something and an open mind to experience something different than what you're used to, especially if you have lived in the city all your life.

Go Frogs Before you arrive here in MN, take the time to watch the movie Fargo.

So going by your synopsis: they didn't visit the animal barns, didn't see any of the educational exhibits, didn't see any of the art exhibitions, didn't visit the horticulture building, didn't see a barn demo, didn't watch any of the competitive horse riding. There's a lot more to the Fair than greasy food and the midway if you have a desire to learn something and an open mind to experience something different than what you're used to, especially if you have lived in the city all your life.

We have some highbrow, sophisticated folks here. I'm starting to wonder if Gopherhole is too high class for me.

Top Bottom