Visit and Stadium from a Bear's Eye View

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
From the BearInsider fan site is this message about their visit to TCF and Minnesota:

Posted by 71Bear earlier today:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OBSERVATIONS FROM THE STADIUM

Reporting from Wisconsin Dells, on our way to Chicago.....

Since everyone saw the game, there is no need to dissect it at length. Instead, I'll focus on the experience with a few comments on ST...

1. All adults are subject to pat down searches by the security staff upon entering the stadium (there are separate lines for females and males).

2. Fans are not allowed to bring seat cushions or backpacks into the stadium.

3. The shuttle system from the remote lots works very well. There are tons of buses that ferry you to and from the game. NOTE: The remains of the bridge that collapsed are strewn across a riverfront park that can be seen from the bridge as you cross the Mississippi to the game.

4. The same radio system that is in play all Cal also exists in Minnesota. I saw vendors hawking the units before the game.

5. The hockey arena is as large as the hoops arena - huge brick buildings near the stadium.

6. The stadium itself is magnificent. It is very much like Stanford's new facility with roughly the same capacity. The concourses are like the Champs-Elysees. The bench seats have tons of leg room and are wide. The chairbacks extend from goal to goal. They have an elevator (with an elevator operator - when was the last time you saw that?) to take you to the second level. Also, lots of history everywhere - I hope that Cal will also acknowledge our glorious football heritage when the Memorial rebuild is finished.

7. The fans I met and spoke to were very friendly. Perhaps, it is a bit provincial to observe; however, a lot of people asked where our school was located. I talked to one guy who said he and his friends thought we might be situated in Berkeley but they weren't sure. When I confirmed his suspicions, he said, "Oh yeah, the 60's school". I still think we have a branding problem. Are we Cal or Berkeley?

8. That's it for the stadium... I have one note for history buffs: The flag of the First Minnesota regiment hangs in the state capital at St. Paul. To actually see that flag was the most memorable non-football occurance of the week for me. (Anyone who knows anything about the Civil War will know the significance of the First Minnesota). Seeing the Jolly Green Giant statue in Blue Earth, MN. was my wife's #1 (if you like seeing oddities across the country as we do, the JGG has to rank fairly high on the list).

9. On to football... Our special teams suck. They nearly cost us that game. Let's total up the damage, shall we?

a. Two poor punts led directly to 14 MInnesota points
b. Our first turnover of the season occurred on a punt return - players need to be aware of where the ball is at all times.
c. A botched FG attempt because D'Amato false stepped before kicking the ball
d. Lousy KO's (again), including one OB
e. Poor KO coverage

(and yes, we did make our PAT's)

Sooner or later the ST are going to bring us down. Period.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to see what others note about the new digs.

Go Gophers! Beat NU!

Top Bottom