Virginia's Andrew White a Gopher target

Jon

Reaction score
by Ryan James “One of the hottest recruiting targets in the nation is Chester, Virginia's Andrew White who is a 6-foot-6, 210 small forward ranked as the 57th ranked prospect in the nation. The four star recruit picked up almost 30 offers this summer as White's stock has soared to a high level. Minnesota is one of many schools”
Currently on Rivals front page
http://minnesota.rivals.com/

“Strengths:
White is an active wing that plays more like a small forward than a shooting guard at this point but as he improves his range could easily excel at both positions. He runs the outside lane in transition and is a good spot up shooter with time. White also has ...”
ESPN profile
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...etball/recruiting/player/evaluation?id=102702

Scout profile
http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=5181723

Rivals profile
http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Andrew-White-103796

I was extremely excited with the hire of Tubby Smith because I thought that we would be getting someone who could turn the program around and land big time recruits not because of his former resume, but because he would turn us into a big time contender. It is frustrating that after his fourth year with the program, we are only being considered by the bigger recruits because he is a "legendary" coach. It's sad to think that we have to sell the 57th ranked player in the nation on the fact the fact he could come in and instantly be the best player on the team. I will admit that I am very disappointed where this team is heading going into the 5th year of Tubbys tenure.

I was particularly disappointed by the collapse last year in Big 10 play. I had assumed a coach of Tubby's caliber would have found a way to prevent that.
However I also feel that the Tubby tenure has demonstrated how tough it is to win at Mn. The support and importance/priority of winning BB at the U just doesn't measure up to
some of the more successful programs.
1. The AD pulls the rug out from under Tubby as soon as he hires his chief recruiter/big man coach. Not only is the hire reversed but the legal problems drag out with Tubby eventually being put in the position where he embarrassed himself in the courtroom.

2. A faculty commitee refuses to give a waiver to Royce because he withdrew from classes one day late and ruled him ineligible to play 1st semester 2010. No doubt they felt Royce had embarrassed the school and wanted him gone. Tubby however was still interested in coaching Royce despite admitting Royce was probably better off at ISU. A more win oriented school would have given the BB coach that chance

3. Still no practice facility. One of only 2 schools in the Big Ten. Devo criticised the lack of facilities when he left. You can be sure his comments are quoted to any potential recruit by opposing schools. In an interview his first year Tubby said there was only so much he could do without the practice facility.

I was extremely excited with the hire of Tubby Smith because I thought that we would be getting someone who could turn the program around and land big time recruits not because of his former resume, but because he would turn us into a big time contender. It is frustrating that after his fourth year with the program, we are only being considered by the bigger recruits because he is a "legendary" coach. It's sad to think that we have to sell the 57th ranked player in the nation on the fact the fact he could come in and instantly be the best player on the team. I will admit that I am very disappointed where this team is heading going into the 5th year of Tubbys tenure.

I'm a little tired of hearing you can't win without a practice facility. Purdue hasn't yet completed their practice facility yet they've figured ways to win consistently over the past 20 years. They've upgraded their facilities to be competitive to the tune of $100 million and it's beautiful. Prior to the upgrade their facilities were not much superior to Mn. Butler has virtually NO facilities and have been in the Championship game two years in a row with a lot of NCAA success prior to 2009.

Painter and Stevens have figured out a way to be successful without the facilities in place. In can be done.

Dr. Don, we need your help with Duthasmon Smith. He is full of cr@p.

In WL, next to Makey Arena, there a facility that MN players would dream to have. Please compare Apple to Apple.

Go Gophers

Explain to me how any part of my statement is not accurate. And Indiana's practice facility just opened in 2010. Prior to that they had to practice.....in Assembly Hall. The horrors. They've been okay up to that point I think.....without a practice facility.

Again the point is, you can win without all the fancy facilities. It would be great if we had the instate talent that Indiana has but it can still be done. And how can you possibly say the U doesn't have every advantage over a school like Butler?

I'm a little tired of hearing you can't win without a practice facility. Purdue hasn't yet completed their practice facility yet they've figured ways to win consistently over the past 20 years. They've upgraded their facilities to be competitive to the tune of $100 million and it's beautiful. Prior to the upgrade their facilities were not much superior to Mn. Butler has virtually NO facilities and have been in the Championship game two years in a row with a lot of NCAA success prior to 2009.

Painter and Stevens have figured out a way to be successful without the facilities in place. In can be done.

Why then did Purdue spend all that money for a new practice facility?

Has Purdue won consistently over the past 30 years? Yes. Have the won consistently over the past 5 years? Yes. They have gotten it done without the facilities is my point. They spent the $100 million to compete with the top schools. Obviously. Prior though they've gotten it done in the past.

A new practice facility would certainly help. It isn't the answer to everything. In fact, I remember how the thing holding back the football program was we had to play in the Metrodome. So, they got a great stadium in place with fantastic facilities. Not getting it done yet.

Everyone loves bright and shiny new things but if the foundation isn't solid.......

The biggest help would be if the players Tubby is planning on playing stay healthy, out of trouble, and academically eligible. I am optimistic every year and have high hopes for this year. White, Wally and Banyard would be a good class.

I think Tubby still wants his shooter. Isn't Jodan Price visiting soon? If so then I expect he may commit at that time.
BTW Jon you stated on another thread that following the Gophs with Tubby was fun. I agree. I also am excited about this year.

The biggest help would be if the players Tubby is planning on playing stay healthy, out of trouble, and academically eligible. I am optimistic every year and have high hopes for this year. White, Wally and Banyard would be a good class.

Very true. can you imagin what MN could have done 2 years ago if RW and TM were both on the roster?

Go Gophers

Jodan Price told me in early August he was going to visit Minnesota one of the first two home football weekends but then a week after Wally committed I talked to Jodan and he said he no longer had the visit planned so no, he is not visiting Minnesota some time soon.

I am so tired of the Minnesota is a tough place to win garbage. Their is a reason why Tubby Smith took this job and not others that have been offered to him. The combination of opportunity to win and ability to pay a big salary is not found everywhere. Minnesota has also frequently shown up in the top 25 in attendance. The practice faciility is a huge deal and it is a joke that Minnesota does not have one yet, but to be 4 years in to Tubby's tenure and to have yet to win a tournament game is a dissapointment. On the other hand, we likely all would be happy with Tubby if Al, Royce, Devoe, and Paul played(or played a full season) last year.

Tubby Smith has signed some incredible players since taking over...he just hasn't been able to keep them. I can guarantee Minnesota would have finished in the top 4 of the B1G and won an NCAA game last season with a starting rotation that consisted of Al Nolen, Devoe Joseph, Roy White, Trevor Mbakwe and Paul Carter. I mean, look at that (potential) line-up, it's as talented as any in Gopher history.

Story on White -- link

"White, a four-star athlete (out of five) who is ranked No. 1 in the Class of 2012 prospects according to rivals.com and No. 56 in the country, acknowledges it is good to have more than one option for college so that he can find a school and basketball program that he is comfortable with. He is also listed as the No. 12 ranked best small forward in the country."

http://progress-index.com/sports/miller-adds-to-offer-list-with-big-12-one-1.1195996#axzz1WcERRL57

It would actually be really good for the Gophers if White waited until Spring. That way the could get a big man with the current open scholarship and then go after White with the ineveitable open scholarship in the Spring (which is likely to come from a guard or wing). Hopefully, the Gophers will be coming off a strong season at that point.

White is definitely doing a very good job in keeping everyone guessing... link (9-13)

********** cut and paste from below link
"White is definitely doing a very good job in keeping everyone guessing on what direction he will ultimately go in his college decision. "

“I want to be able to play and progress early, play in the tournament [all] four years, [receive a] good [college] degree and a good relationship with the staff and players [are important factors],” White said of his college choice.

http://bearcattalk.com/showpost.php?p=36292&postcount=31

Top Bottom