VIP Open Practice 2023

Yep! He has too as long as there is no clear seperation. I think a lot of the PT each game will depend on match ups. Payne and Garcia are the two givens at this point and the rest will battle for minutes. Ben finally has the depth we lacked in year 1 & 2.

9 or even 10 has been my thinking all along. But it seems as if Betts isn't ready yet.
I don't think we can keep Ramberg out of the picture as he does a lot of things well.
Coaches have been saying this is desired. They want to be able to bring a higher intensity on a consistent basis.

Seems like it has shaken out that 9 guys are potential starters...without having played a game.
Payne, Garcia, Hawkins, Mitchell, Carrington, Ola Joseph, Ihnen, Fox, and Christie.
That leaves 6 guys on the roster who don't seem like they'll get playing time if the 9 are healthy.
Question is: Will Ben play a 9 man rotation?
Wilson will play as needed.

Just throwing this out there…2 of those 9 didn’t participate in the scrimmage. It happens more than we like. I know yesterday was no big deal, but sickness, injuries, disciplinary issues, etc., pop up.

100%, but with the reports we've heard along the way, I think we have to assume Ihnen and Christie will be part of the rotation.

Top 9 right now (in no particular order) is definitely Garcia, Payne, Mitchell, Carrington, Hawkins, Ola-Joseph, Ihnen, Christie, and Fox. In my opinion, all of these guys should get playing time in every game.

Wilson is the 10th. He'll play based on opposing center matchups. Betts is 11th. He'll play during large leads in the non-conference.

100%, but with the reports we've heard along the way, I think we have to assume Ihnen and Christie will be part of the rotation.

Top 9 right now (in no particular order) is definitely Garcia, Payne, Mitchell, Carrington, Hawkins, Ola-Joseph, Ihnen, Christie, and Fox. In my opinion, all of these guys should get playing time in every game.

Wilson is the 10th. He'll play based on opposing center matchups. Betts is 11th. He'll play during large leads in the non-conference.
Given the non con, Betts should get a lot of minutes........

Totally agree with this breakdown. As for who starts and finishes games...who knows?

Other than Dawson and PP- the other 7 guys will be battling it out.

It's nice to have options for once in Ben's tenure. Let's hope for good health!

For those who saw Fox play, what position do you envision him guarding? I can't picture him guarding a Big Ten center, but maybe he's bigger and more athletic than I am giving him credit for.

For those who saw Fox play, what position do you envision him guarding? I can't picture him guarding a Big Ten center, but maybe he's bigger and more athletic than I am giving him credit for.
I think he'll be best guarding the 4 position, but could probably guard smaller centers. Pretty sure I remember him blocking a shot from Payne during practice.

I agree with everything you say...again, the question is will it happen beyond Macalester, Bethune Cookman etc. Or will we be playing 7 guys?
Didn't read any VIP comments about the intensity of the defense and rebounding. Without it...it doesn't matter who plays. We are not talented enough to just outscore Big Ten opponents...our non conference opponents will be of no help in forcing us to compete.

as I've said before, I really hope that Johnson will use the depth and try to match up with opponents. maybe not so much in non-conf, but definitely in conference games. go big against one team, go smaller and quicker against a different team. If a team is bringing a lot of defensive pressure, put every ball-handler on the court. if a team is pounding the glass, put the best rebounders on the court and so on.

I want to see them at least try Payne and Wilson on the court together against Edey just for the heck of it. If that doesn't work, we run the Hanson brothers out there.........foil optional.

as I've said before, I really hope that Johnson will use the depth and try to match up with opponents. maybe not so much in non-conf, but definitely in conference games. go big against one team, go smaller and quicker against a different team. If a team is bringing a lot of defensive pressure, put every ball-handler on the court. if a team is pounding the glass, put the best rebounders on the court and so on.

I want to see them at least try Payne and Wilson on the court together against Edey just for the heck of it. If that doesn't work, we run the Hanson brothers out there.........foil optional.
IMO- the only shot we have at really shocking people and having a great season is by playing great defense by using a lot of kids who work their fannies off knowing that they are going to get relief in 5 minutes. We have a fair amount of depth with not a lot of star power- so it is going to have to be a team effort with defense being the constant.

IMO- the only shot we have at really shocking people and having a great season is by playing great defense by using a lot of kids who work their fannies off knowing that they are going to get relief in 5 minutes. We have a fair amount of depth with not a lot of star power- so it is going to have to be a team effort with defense being the constant.
Well...Dawson and PP could be the best front court combo in the Big Ten.

If that's the case, with average guard/wing play we are in business

Well...Dawson and PP could be the best front court combo in the Big Ten.

If that's the case, with average guard/wing play we are in business
Okay, maybe. But college basketball is a guard oriented game. Great to have quality front court but need better than average guards to draw out the best in the bigs.

I’m called cynical, but I just need to see that these newcomers are B1G players before I start counting wins.

We have a fair amount of depth with not a lot of star power- so it is going to have to be a team effort with defense being the constant.
Good points...hopefully full court defense and an uptempo offense.

My ceiling for this team is the NIT but I haven't been this excited about a season in quite some time.

He will be a defensive strength not liability.

As Sophomore Parker Fox was named the NSIC Defensive Player of the Year and landed on the first team All Conference team.

The next year he was First Team All-American in Division 2. He was NCIS Player of Year and Defensive Player of Year. He guarded centers and power forwards and was great in help defense.

There was a reason he had 50 D1 offers in the portal within a week.

Okay, maybe. But college basketball is a guard oriented game. Great to have quality front court but need better than average guards to draw out the best in the bigs.

I’m called cynical, but I just need to see that these newcomers are B1G players before I start counting wins.
I believe that Hawkins, Mitchell, and Wilson will be a huge upgrade from Cooper and Samuels. Then add in what Fox will provide.

Mitchell was 8/19 FG, 3/10 3PT, 1/2 FT, 14 ASST, 5 TO, 6 Steals, 20 Pts in two games against the Zags.

Hawkins was 13/21 FG, 5/11 3PT, 3/6 FT, 10 ASST, 11 TO, 3 Steals and 26 points in two games against Kansas and Kentucky.

Clearly they both showed up well against major competition. TO's were high and will be definietly a concern but other stats are encouraging.

As you stated guard play is very important but we will be better than last year, especially getting the offense started, adding much needed quickness, depth and scoring. And I believe their D will be an upgrade from Cooper and provide Ben more options, including pressure D. Teams will have more to prepare for as our guards will have more strengths than last year.

Call me optimistic!!!

I believe that Hawkins, Mitchell, and Wilson will be a huge upgrade from Cooper and Samuels. Then add in what Fox will provide.

Mitchell was 8/19 FG, 3/10 3PT, 1/2 FT, 14 ASST, 5 TO, 6 Steals, 20 Pts in two games against the Zags.

Hawkins was 13/21 FG, 5/11 3PT, 3/6 FT, 10 ASST, 11 TO, 3 Steals and 26 points in two games against Kansas and Kentucky.

Clearly they both showed up well against major competition. TO's were high and will be definietly a concern but other stats are encouraging.

As you stated guard play is very important but we will be better than last year, especially getting the offense started, adding much needed quickness, depth and scoring. And I believe their D will be an upgrade from Cooper and provide Ben more options, including pressure D. Teams will have more to prepare for as our guards will have more strengths than last year.

Call me optimistic!!!
I come here for optimism that I cannot generate myself!:confused:

Call me optimistic!!!

That's nice and all but what were Coopers stats against good competition all of last year? There's a big difference between playing 2 games against a top team compared to playing P6 teams every night in the B1G. Plus Cooper came here from a much better program than Mitchell or Hawkins is coming from. He was far from a perfect PG, but Cooper isn't as easily replaceable as some think on this board. Same goes for Battle.

That's nice and all but what were Coopers stats against good competition all of last year? There's a big difference between playing 2 games against a top team compared to playing P6 teams every night in the B1G. Plus Cooper came here from a much better program than Mitchell or Hawkins is coming from. He was far from a perfect PG, but Cooper isn't as easily replaceable as some think on this board. Same goes for Battle.
I do think Cooper was underrated last year and will be a big loss. Wasn't his fault we had no other guard play or other ball handlers last year.

Battle...depends which version we are talking about. He was awesome 2 yrs ago and putrid last season.

I do think Cooper was underrated last year and will be a big loss. Wasn't his fault we had no other guard play or other ball handlers last year.

Battle...depends which version we are talking about. He was awesome 2 yrs ago and putrid last season.

Battle struggled through injuries and other things last season, but he still singlehandedly doubled the Gophers B1G win total from 1 to 2.

Consider thinking about comparisons and where the newbies can be an upgrade?

My thoughts.

Improvements:
Initiate the offense and flow, improved FT, better over all defense, improved quickness, more D and O options for Ben, better depth

Negatives;
ASST:TO ratio, rebounding

Status Quo:
Scoring, shooting %

One thing seldom discussed in leadership. I may be wrong, but Cooper didn't impress me as a strong floor leader, a vocal guy. We will see if the new guys are good at that.

Your takes??

Call me optimistic!!!
Great post Bayfield!

Call me optimistic!!!
We saw a plethora of small school guards transfer up and make significant impact on their teams, ala the Penn State transfer from Sienna (IRRC) and the K State guard.

I’m not equating Hawkins and Mitchell to them, but to not think they’ll be a significant upgrade over last season’s dynamic duo based on previous performance and reports from this year, is simply being Negative Nelly because that is a comfortable place for some.

My way overly optimistic view : Hawkins reminds me a bit of Bobby Jackson

Consider thinking about comparisons and where the newbies can be an upgrade?

My thoughts.

Improvements:
Initiate the offense and flow, improved FT, better over all defense, improved quickness, more D and O options for Ben, better depth

Negatives;
ASST:TO ratio, rebounding

Status Quo:
Scoring, shooting %

One thing seldom discussed in leadership. I may be wrong, but Cooper didn't impress me as a strong floor leader, a vocal guy. We will see if the new guys are good at that.

Your takes??
I think a lot of coaches will tell you is how much of a difference the intangibles, the things that don't show up on stat sheet; like communication, leadership, technique, competitiveness, effort, things that only people who are with a team daily will notice; can make in the way a team plays and responds in tough moments.

Leadership can be everything to being on time to meetings, never skipping a class, making sure your teammates are taking practice drills seriously to taking time to acknowledge alumni or volunteering to serve up Thanksgiving meals at a shelter. I think some people under estimate those things.

You need talent, and hopefully the Gophers have enough to make a bigger dent this season, but those other things can often turn a team into a TEAM and maybe take up enough slack to make a difference in a game or season.

Last edited:

I think a lot of coaches will tell you is how much of a difference the intangibles, the things that don't show up on stat sheet; like communication, leadership, technique, competitiveness, effort, things that only people who are with a team daily will notice; can make in the way a team plays and responds in tough moments.

Leadership can be everything to being on time to meetings, never skipping a class, making sure your teammates are taking practice drills seriously to taking time to acknowledge alumni or volunteering to serve up Thanksgiving meals at a shelter. I think some people under estimate those things.

You need talent, and hopefully the Gophers have enough to make a bigger dent this season, but those other things can often turn a team into a TEAM and maybe take up enough slack to make a difference in a game or season.
Good stuff Chico!

My observations are that Ben has made those intangibles and others a part of his program. Call it culture of whatever. But its there and I think in a good way.

As fans, we only see what is on the surface. But it goes much deeper than that.

The players and their coach are deserving of much better.

Tis the season for optimism and I am totally drunk on the koolaid but I believe the Gophers will be a fun team to watch this season and exceed many "Negative Nellies" expectations.

NIT or bust!

Top Bottom