Vikings' deal to play at U was a tough bargain

More than a hundred internal e-mails — obtained by the Star Tribune — show that despite public statements of a like-minded partnership, the school and the team continually struggled to find common ground before finalizing the lease in May. Even after the lease was approved, the university and the Vikings tangled over money and scheduling.

The talks took place with much at stake: The school eyed up to $3 million annually in much-needed money that the deal would provide for its athletic department. The Vikings, meanwhile, had to negotiate knowing that the school knew the team had few alternatives while waiting for its new *stadium to be built in downtown Minneapolis.

There were additional signs of stress after the lease was signed.

University officials said they scheduled meetings in August with the Vikings — and had out-of-town consultants fly in to Minnesota — to discuss the project, only to be told that key team officials would be in Buffalo, N.Y., where the Vikings were playing an exhibition game. “There are several consultants from out of town that had airline tickets already purchased,” one school official told the Vikings.

The squabbling continued on Aug. 13, the day before the two days of meetings were to begin.

Richard Johnson, the school’s director of special projects, argued that the team had agreed to the dates and said the meetings would go ahead with or without the Vikings. He added: “FYI: Tomorrow morning we will meet from 9:00 – 2:00 to discuss field heating and turf options.”

Kieron Frazier, the Vikings associate counsel and the son of Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier, replied just as bluntly. “As [we] informed you a couple of weeks ago, and as I have discussed early last week” the Vikings could not make the meeting, Frazier wrote in an e-mail on Aug. 13. The Vikings, in the end, sent team officials to the meetings.

Go Gophers!!

I'm a Minnesotan thick and through. Grew up in Shoreview, a proud Mounds View grad, Played College ball at Southwest Minnesota State, Love the Vikings, and have had Gopher season tix since '03. Something tells me that the "U" will get F-d and we'll all hate the Vikes because of it. Just don't trust the "U" to be strong and don't trust he Wilfs to be grateful.....it should be a better marriage. I feel like I will be less of a Vikings fan in two years.

The Vikings were haggling over everything with their slime ball attorneys. The U will go to their gave with monumental
regrets they ever allowed this to happen. I guarantee you , the Gopher fans that use too tolerate the Vikings will end up hating the " Little Darlings" after two years.

Folks should really check out the comment section. Being as the Vikes are supposedly the #1 sports team, it's amazing how pro-Gophers the comments are.

Folks should really check out the comment section. Being as the Vikes are supposedly the #1 sports team, it's amazing how pro-Gophers the comments are.

Okay, for you I read the dreaded "Comments Section". You were right, there were quite a few posts that didn't hammer the Gophers. Must have been tough for the normal "I HATE EVERYTHING!!!:mad: " crowd over there to decide where to direct their bile.

Okay, for you I read the dreaded "Comments Section". You were right, there were quite a few posts that didn't hammer the Gophers. Must have been tough for the normal "I HATE EVERYTHING!!!:mad: " crowd over there to decide where to direct their bile.

Reading the comment section should be required reading. There are many of 'those people' out there and it is good to know your surroundings in life.:cool02:

Why are the Vikings automatically the villains for working hard to get the most out of the money they'll pay in rent and the capital improvements they'll pay for and leave for the U of M after the two years are up?

I was just commenting last night how I wish the Vikings and Gophers football teams had the same attitude towards each other as the Wild and Gophers hockey team do. It seems like the hockey teams embrace each other (Day of Hockey, college tournaments at the Xcel, drafting former Gophers, etc). I know a lot of those things somewhat out of the Wild's hands, but it just seems to me that the Wild and Gophs hockey teams are more cooperative, as are their collective fan-bases.

With every passing year it seems like the Vikings and Gophers football become more and more competitive. We should be taking advantage over the fact we have a Pro and College football team in the same metro area. Instead, I get the feeling that Gophers football and Vikings fans are secretly (or in some cases - publicly) hoping for the others' demise. Just not a good relationship between the two IMO.

Why are the Vikings automatically the villains for working hard to get the most out of the money they'll pay in rent and the capital improvements they'll pay for and leave for the U of M after the two years are up?

If you read the article you shouldn't need to ask the question.

I was just commenting last night how I wish the Vikings and Gophers football teams had the same attitude towards each other as the Wild and Gophers hockey team do. It seems like the hockey teams embrace each other (Day of Hockey, college tournaments at the Xcel, drafting former Gophers, etc). I know a lot of those things somewhat out of the Wild's hands, but it just seems to me that the Wild and Gophs hockey teams are more cooperative, as are their collective fan-bases.

With every passing year it seems like the Vikings and Gophers football become more and more competitive. We should be taking advantage over the fact we have a Pro and College football team in the same metro area. Instead, I get the feeling that Gophers football and Vikings fans are secretly (or in some cases - publicly) hoping for the others' demise. Just not a good relationship between the two IMO.
The Gopher-Wild relationship and the Gopher-Viking relationship has one thing in common and one difference. That pretty much says it all.

I'm generally indifferent to pro sports, but the Vikings are something else.

That said, the extra 6 million and heated field are nice.

I read it and don't see an issue with them driving a hard bargain. They're the ones writing checks for this deal. I don't blame the U of M either for that matter. It's just business.

Station's right you should read it first, but look at it this way: We gave them $500 million toward their building out of the $975 million needed. They got another $400 million from other sources. Then we gave ANOTHER $15 million for expenses/lost revenue incurred while they're waiting for their shiny new building.

Then they're asked to pay roughly $3 million per year in improvements that THEY demanded and rent for the 2 (or possibly 3) years they'll be at TCF. They say "fine, let's do it". Then they don't show-up for meetings they agreed to be at, they're late with agreed to payments and they try to renege or items previously agreed to.

Oh, in the meantime they're found guilty of fraud and their tactics are called "racketeering" in dealing with their previous partners.

Now you really want to ask"How are they the villain?"

How could they not be?

Reading the comment section should be required reading. There are many of 'those people' out there and it is good to know your surroundings in life.:cool02:

Knowing it and wallowing in it are two entirely different things.

Station's right you should read it first, but look at it this way: We gave them $500 million toward their building out of the $975 million needed. They got another $400 million from other sources. Then we gave ANOTHER $15 million for expenses/lost revenue incurred while they're waiting for their shiny new building.

Then they're asked to pay roughly $3 million per year in improvements that THEY demanded and rent for the 2 (or possibly 3) years they'll be at TCF. They say "fine, let's do it". Then they don't show-up for meetings they agreed to be at, they're late with agreed to payments and they try to renege or items previously agreed to.

Oh, in the meantime they're found guilty of fraud and their tactics are called "racketeering" in dealing with their previous partners.

Now you really want to ask"How are they the villain?"

How could they not be?

I'm glad I waited for someone else to respond.:cool02:

This is a deal that can be equally equitable for both parties. It seems as though the Vikings are kind of trying to fleece the Gophers on the deal by under cutting what would be fair. But look no further than the new stadium deal. As we have been increasingly seeing.......the Wilfs got a great deal and the state really didn't. Considering that the Vikings don't really have many options.....they really shouldn't be the ones dictating the terms.

I suspect a lot of that comes from the Gophers being the red headed stepchild in the years playing in the dome. Now that the Gophers have their own stadium, and it's the Vikings who basically have no choice but to rent it, the shoe is on the other foot.

It's not their fault the state agreed to the stadium bill, any business in the state would have gladly taken a similar deal.

Then they don't show-up for meetings they agreed to be at
Read the article again, the Vikings did show up to the meeting. "The Vikings, in the end, sent team officials to the meetings."

It's not their fault the state agreed to the stadium bill, any business in the state would have gladly taken a similar deal.

Read the article again, the Vikings did show up to the meeting. "The Vikings, in the end, sent team officials to the meetings."

Do a little more research, they missed a number of scheduled meetings.

Yeah, they took the money and now act as if they're paying for it themselves or just trying to defraud their "partners". You know, business as usual for them or did you have another point?

I read it and don't see an issue with them driving a hard bargain. They're the ones writing checks for this deal. I don't blame the U of M either for that matter. It's just business.

I don't mind them negotiating either, but it seems as though the Wilfs are snake oil salesmen. From issues with some previous partners to the new stadium deal looking less and less fair for the state. They really don't have the leverage yet they act as though they hold the cards.

I don't mind them negotiating either, but it seems as though the Wilfs are snake oil salesmen. From issues with some previous partners to the new stadium deal looking less and less fair for the state. They really don't have the leverage yet they act as though they hold the cards.

The Wilfs are bad people.

Don't trust them at all. Just hold their feet to the fire.

And just think this could have all been avoided if Gov. Dayton and the wieners in the legislature would have just let the Vikings build their stadium in Arden Hills. More importantly the state of Minnesota should never have gotten involved with TCF Bank, Target Field or the new Vikings stadium with my money. All of this should have been done privately without my money.;)

And just think this could have all been avoided if Gov. Dayton and the wieners in the legislature would have just let the Vikings build their stadium in Arden Hills. More importantly the state of Minnesota should never have gotten involved with TCF Bank, Target Field or the new Vikings stadium with my money. All of this should have been done privately without my money.;)

Of all the sites that were considered Arden Hills was the absolute worst. It was NEVER going to happen. Everybody knew it except the clowns who are in charge of Ramsey County. The cost to finish cleaning up the contamination at Arden Hills and build the infrastructure to get people to and from games was going to make the taxpayer cost for the Dome site look look like tinker toys. Plus the taxpayers just spent a couple of billion dollars on light rail and not one Viking fan would be able to use it to get to the games in Arden Hills.

Every article about the stadium is filled with comments from many angry bitter people. The same people who would have been angry and bitter when the Vikings moved to LA and are angry and bitter every time the Vikings or Gophers lose. Got the theme?

Of all the sites that were considered, Arden Hills was the absolute worst. It was NEVER going to happen. Everybody knew it except the clowns who are in charge of Ramsey County. The cost to finish cleaning up the contamination at Arden Hills and build the infrastructure to get people to and from games was going to make the taxpayer cost for the Dome site look look like tinker toys. Plus the taxpayers just spent a couple of billion dollars on light rail and not one Viking fan would be able to use it to get to the games in Arden Hills.

The people who wanted Arden Hills or who think Arden Hills was a better site are delusional.

Is that you Parski???

Of all the sites that were considered, Arden Hills was the absolute worst. It was NEVER going to happen. Everybody knew it except the clowns who are in charge of Ramsey County. The cost to finish cleaning up the contamination at Arden Hills and build the infrastructure to get people to and from games was going to make the taxpayer cost for the Dome site look look like tinker toys. Plus the taxpayers just spent a couple of billion dollars on light rail and not one Viking fan would be able to use it to get to the games in Arden Hills.

Great points more over I don't think the wieners in the legislature should have spent my money on LRT. The bus system we have is top notch and doing a great job!!! Thank you to all the people who work there!!

Not Parski. If you want to disagree with me, have at it, but accusing me of being a sock puppet has no merit and undermines your own stance.

Of all the sites that were considered Arden Hills was the absolute worst. It was NEVER going to happen. Everybody knew it except the clowns who are in charge of Ramsey County. The cost to finish cleaning up the contamination at Arden Hills and build the infrastructure to get people to and from games was going to make the taxpayer cost for the Dome site look look like tinker toys. Plus the taxpayers just spent a couple of billion dollars on light rail and not one Viking fan would be able to use it to get to the games in Arden Hills.

Ah yes that reminds me....During those discussions Good Ol Sid made the comment, "I was just out there the other day to look it over and had no problem getting in or out of there."

Okay Sid.

Top Bottom