Veterans Dedication Ceremony at TCF

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
This may have been posted before but here's a reminder that a dedication ceremony will be held for the Veterans Tribute on Friday night (9/11/09) at 7 PM. This is a great way to bridge the past with the present for all Gopher fans and families.

Here's the link:

http://www1.umn.edu/news/news-releases/2009/UR_CONTENT_129669.html

From the UM Website:

-------------------------------------------------------

University of Minnesota to hold dedication ceremony for Veterans Tribute at TCF Bank Stadium

MEDIA NOTE: Media parking will be available on the west side of TCF Bank Stadium along Oak St. S.E.

An image of the Veterans Tribute can be downloaded at http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/newsservice/downloads/vet_tcf.jpg

What: Public dedication for Veterans Tribute at TCF Bank Stadium
When: 7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 11
Where: TCF Bank Stadium, 2009 University Ave. S.E., Minneapolis

Contacts: Ryan Mathre, University News Service, (612) 625-0552, [email protected]
The University of Minnesota will host a dedication ceremony for the Veterans Tribute at TCF Bank Stadium, 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 11. The event is open to the public.

The dedication program will feature a flyover from three WWI “replica” airplanes and performances from the Metropolitan Boys Choir, the U of M Marching Band and Dorothy Benham, Miss America 1977. Military leaders including General John W. Vessey (ret.), Former Chairman, U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, will be in attendance. The program will also include the historic first raising of the American flag over the stadium.

The Veterans Tribute at TCF Bank Stadium honors all Minnesota veterans of past, present and future conflicts. The tribute is located on the southwest corner of the stadium, between the main scoreboard and Gate E. It incorporates a bench and a lighted inscription similar to the message that was on Memorial Stadium. From the inside of the stadium, the tribute is conceived as a stage where, as part of the game day tradition, a color guard can raise the flag of the stadium. The tribute stage will be used for many military ceremonies throughout the year.

Retired Air Force Brigadier General Dennis Schulstad, a former national president of the U of M Alumni Association, co-chaired the Veteran Tribute Committee. "The original Memorial Stadium was built in honor of WWI Veterans, it is important to remember and honor the sacrifices made by all veterans,” he said. “They are the reason we can enjoy Saturday football games at the University of Minnesota."

The inaugural football game at TCF Bank stadium will take place at 6 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 12 when the Gophers host the Air Force Academy.

--------------------------------------------------------

The Billd family is looking forward to being in Dinkytown Friday night too!

Go Gophers! Beat the Air Force Academy!

Hey Billd, thanks for posting this. We destroyed a stadium that was a memorial. No wonder it has felt like a curse.
In a better world, we would be playing in the new Memorial Stadium on Saturday. I am grateful for what we have now and glad that in some way veterans are honored.

BTW, I am in 212 row 23 seat 5/6 right in front of you.

Friday Night Event

Public service bump.

ButchNG...we're in seats 11-12...you'll know us...we're the LOUD ones. See you at THE GAME!

Go Gophers! Beat Air Force!

Yeah, I always thought it was pretty pathetic to go with a corporate name on the stadium, especially a joke of a company in TCF. I pity anyone who banks with them. They should've named it Memorial Stadium (again) or named it after someone prominent associated with the U.

I think I read the funding for the Brickhouse came from an American Legion Campaign. While a little service on Friday is nice, nothing in my mind can excuse abandoning Memorial Stadium and when the recking ball knocked it down I cried. Thanks for dredging up this memory.

Yeah, I always thought it was pretty pathetic to go with a corporate name on the stadium, especially a joke of a company in TCF. I pity anyone who banks with them. They should've named it Memorial Stadium (again) or named it after someone prominent associated with the U.

Yea, it sure does suck having a gorgeous, state of the art, on campus stadium. I'd much rather have a beautifully drawn conceptual poster of the new Memorial Stadium instead...you know, the one they couldn't get built once they realized that money didn't grow on trees in Art's backyard. That would be twice as awesome as actually having a stadium. :rolleyes:

Yea, it sure does suck having a gorgeous, state of the art, on campus stadium. I'd much rather have a beautifully drawn conceptual poster of the new Memorial Stadium instead...you know, the one they couldn't get built once they realized that money didn't grow on trees in Art's backyard. That would be twice as awesome as actually having a stadium. :rolleyes:

Corporate names are for professional sports.

My god you're an insufferable prick.

AU - don't try to bring any rationale to the table with Art, people like him would rather bitch and nitpick about the other's accomplishments than have to actually accomplish anything themselves. This is just another example of his douchebaggery.

My god you're an insufferable prick.

AU - don't try to bring any rationale to the table with Art, people like him would rather bitch and nitpick about the other's accomplishments than have to actually accomplish anything themselves. This is just another example of his douchebaggery.

Hey, money talks. I'm just saying it's too bad they had to go the corporate route rather than enshrining an alum or remembering the folks that served our country (Memorial Stadium).

BTW, I applaud the tough guy name calling :clap:

Keep it up m'boy!

Top Bottom