VERY fortunate to win this game - but I'll take it!!

Gold Rush

Reaction score
-- I thought the Gopher offense played a very good game and this was Morgan's best game of the year. He had a couple egregious drops but his receivers also made some very nice catches, too. Autman-Bell played one of his best games too and I thought the offensive line did a great job at pass protection. Ibrahim is a beast, as always!

-- The defense needs to get better, but they did make some key stops in the 4th quarter. They have a LOT of work to do just to get back to where they were last year.

-- OK with all that said, we REALLY were fortunate to come out of this with a win. The pass interference penalty at the end wasn't as bad as I originally thought. However, how many times have the Gophers been just jobbed by the referees over the years, costing them a win? Answer: Lots. Before instant replay it was even worse but I remember the one at Penn St. (should have been Mason's first win against them I believe) or how about the game against Purdue where the timekeeper fell asleep and Purdue wins in the closing seconds? Older fans always talk about the 1962 Gopher team that should have gone to the Rose Bowl but the referees just killed them. Point is -- I think we have been on the other side so many times I have no problems with this. Still -- we were VERY lucky this was called.

-- Poor play calling at the end offensively. The Gophers got way too conservative. EVERYONE knew it was going to be Ibrahim up the middle the last 2 drives. A play action pass or two would have probably worked.

-- Fleck was almost the goat and I do not mean the greatest of all time goats. Going for it on 4th and 1 on your own 30 yard line with just minutes left in the game? NOBODY does this. Now granted I know he didn't trust the defense and wanted to run out the clock but if you DO go for it, it better not be with a haphazardly drawn up play with everyone running in all directions in mass confusion. We were very fortunate their kicker missed a fairly easy FG on that drive.

So --- a little fortune came our way and I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and I will take it. I enjoy EVERY Gopher win because I have seen way too many gut wrenching losses, hard times and horrific endings over the years. Haha - so please allow us to feel good about this win. Hopefully we can build on it and continue to get better!!

On 4th down play i think Morgan should be quarterback. It forces defense to play pass in run option. Better probability of making a first down via pass.

On 4th down play i think Morgan should be quarterback. It forces defense to play pass in run option. Better probability of making a first down via pass.
This used to be an unstoppable play but lately this play has been getting stuffed, especially on 4th downs.

This used to be an unstoppable play but lately this play has been getting stuffed, especially on 4th downs.

Watch the replace on the 4th down stuff. Bryce Williams missing his pickup of the blitzing corner.
That's why the play failed.

Everyone knows it will be a run...why do they not line up under center instead of giving up 4 yards from the get go? I’m far from an elite football mind but this concept of giving up yards wrecks my brain on 4th and 1 or less.

Everyone knows it will be a run...why do they not line up under center instead of giving up 4 yards from the get go? I’m far from an elite football mind but this concept of giving up yards wrecks my brain on 4th and 1 or less.

It's been a very successful formation and play for us over the past two years if you look back at things. But by now, how many plays of it do we have on film? Dozens? Eventually teams and coaching staffs will figure it out. For example, the blitz off both edges last night from Purdue.

Might be time to do something else out of it (play to the perimeter, throw the ball, etc) Was the bowl game last year the only time we've ever changed it up?? That's the only one I can remember in two years.

Refs weren't good for either team. Missed several calls for both.
That was honestly one of the worst crews I've seen in a long time. Egregious misses both ways. PU was holding consistently on the edge and I only remember one being called. Clear PI's uncalled on multiple deep shots, but two very questionable PI's late in the game in critical spots. They were extremely inconsitent.

Watch the replace on the 4th down stuff. Bryce Williams missing his pickup of the blitzing corner.
That's why the play failed.
Yup. PU used the same look to stop the "Green Line" inside the 5 earlier in the game. Staff should've been prepared and either motioned the H-back the opposite way or had Williams immediately head off-tackle for that. They didn't, and PU's look worked once again.

Top Bottom