Very excited

I have no idea what Ben's B1G record will be next year. What I do know is that the program ran out of gas under all three coaches post Clem. Ben's real challenge will be to actually build something here that has the fans wanting to show up. It's not going to be easy because it starts with recruiting, particularly recruiting at home. If he can get Hollman (sp?) and King for 2022 I think that could be very influential. The second piece of it is a high ball movement offensive system. That's a little easier. Pitino preferred ball dominant, scoring pg's, which cost him a lot of wins. I hope Ben doesn't implement that system.

I'm excited too. But, I was thinking. Maybe the team needs new nickname. How about "The Vagabonds" or "The One Year Leases?"
In 2017, the NHL held a separate expansion draft for the Vegas Golden Knights. They were affectionately called "The Misfits", by their fans and went all the way that year to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Last edited:

I'll be happy if it works out but people are putting way to mocha expectations on coach Johnson for next year. It will take a great job to make the team competitive in the conference. The team doesn't project to be good.

I will have to admit, I have only been a serious gopher fan for about 3 years now, as I am still pretty young myself, but I don’t ever remember a time where I was this excited about gopher basketball. Maybe after they beat Louisville in the tourney, but right now I am so excited about coach Johnson and Thorson. It will be so fun watching the gophs play next year, because it will kinda be like and expansion team, and with the additions of fox, battle and the others I think we will be somewhat competitive next year. Not to mentIon all of the great in state players coming up, I think the future is bright for gopher basketball.
1618685373895.png

I actually share your sentiment, however, I'm in my 50s now, so I get to post these while I tell you to wear a jacket till it's in the 60s.

My (born MN, grew up New England) 2004 Red Sox who broke the 'Curse of the Bambino' were 'The Idiots':

Didn't seem propitious--until it was!

Given the recent history of Gopher MBB, they will be a new HC within five years.

Given the recent history of Gopher MBB, they will be a new HC within five years.
What history would that be?

Pinino - 8 seasons
Tubby - 6 seasons
Monson - 8 seasons
Clem - 13 seasons

That gets us back to the 80's. The team hasn't been a juggernaut for a long time and there have been lots of losing seasons. One thing there has not been however is a revolving door of coaches.

It's rare to have nearly an entirely new team (roster, coaches, etc.) as dramatically as we will next year. With that comes excitement, new blood, new energy, etc. It was needed.

I can't wait for the season.

Go Gophers!!
Here here!

What history would that be?

Pinino - 8 seasons
Tubby - 6 seasons
Monson - 8 seasons
Clem - 13 seasons

That gets us back to the 80's. The team hasn't been a juggernaut for a long time and there have been lots of losing seasons. One thing there has not been however is a revolving door of coaches.
I'll clarify for you... fans will ,be clamoring for a new HC.

They made a move and are trying a different approach and will have a new start with a new coach. Most at least are willing to give it a chance but all you can post is negative sh*t. Who pissed in your cheerios?

They made a move and are trying a different approach and will have a new start with a new coach. Most at least are willing to give it a chance but all you can post is negative sh*t. Who pissed in your cheerios?
I'm not doing anything like that. Half, or more, of this forum bitched about the hire the minute it was announced.

Where have you been?

I'm not doing anything like that. Half, or more, of this forum bitched about the hire the minute it was announced.

Where have you been?
Right here reading all the complaining and other crap (I even initially questioned the direction with the hire) but most have moved on and others, like yourself, and a few other posters, continue to spew doom and gloom. Since we'll likely have a new coach in 5 years anyway, according to you, why don't you follow another team or stop b*tching?

Where have you been?
Most have moved past that initial disappointment. I was extremely disappointed, but am now excited to see where we land with players etc.

We suggest you do the same, and look for the positives.

Most have moved past that initial disappointment. I was extremely disappointed, but am now excited to see where we land with players etc.

We suggest you do the same, and look for the positives.
Fingers crossed. A double digit wins season will be a reasonable expectation with so many new faces, imo.

I will have to admit, I have only been a serious gopher fan for about 3 years now, as I am still pretty young myself, but I don’t ever remember a time where I was this excited about gopher basketball. Maybe after they beat Louisville in the tourney, but right now I am so excited about coach Johnson and Thorson. It will be so fun watching the gophs play next year, because it will kinda be like and expansion team, and with the additions of fox, battle and the others I think we will be somewhat competitive next year. Not to mentIon all of the great in state players coming up, I think the future is bright for gopher basketball.

This makes me remember the way I felt about Gopher basketball sitting in our college house watching Bobby J and Sam ride their way to the Final Four. Hope your future Gopher journey is smoother than my own.

Not even a month later, how's your excitement level now?
Honestly I think I quit caring about this. Finding less time and energy to spend on gopher basketball. There is a saying for this about how you don’t worry until they quit caring? I’m on my way there.
really trying to muster the enthusiasm to just be mad but I used all my anger. Sad, really.

We’re going to be bad this year, but that doesn’t mean things can’t rapidly improve. This hire was always about what he might be able to do with the deep 2022 class and beyond. Year one is about creating a culture and getting quality 2022 commits. Those of you who are angry and depressed will feel a lot better if you accept that, but if you’d rather be super emotional or give up on being a fan because you aren’t instantly getting what you want, I can’t stop you.

We’re going to be bad this year, but that doesn’t mean things can’t rapidly improve. This hire was always about what he might be able to do with the deep 2022 class and beyond. Year one is about creating a culture and getting quality 2022 commits. Those of you who are angry and depressed will feel a lot better if you accept that, but if you’d rather be super emotional or give up on being a fan because you aren’t instantly getting what you want, I can’t stop you.
Yeah maybe Johnson can build steam or is a great X and Os coach even though thats not really supposed to be his strength. That being Said the hire has looked drastically worse since it was made and it didn't look that great then. He is supposed to be the Minnesota guy but he can't even retain talent from the state on the team. This also is hurting the 2022 class. Do you think recruits aren't going to notice the whole team bailing on him. He is facing a steep uphill battle in recruiting even if he is good at it.

5 year self imposed postseason ban. At least the 2 hand tickets will be cheap.
This isn’t even on Coyle. Joan is an idiot.

I'm excited for a few local kids coming back to play for their home state...The downside is losing almost a entire returning team, each transferring out, possibly one of the biggest defection's in college basketball this year...What is questionable is recruiting serviceable replacements, while many teams have balanced out their rosters swiftly in the first few months with the expanded transfer portal, Minnesota still has numerous positions to fill...I will be excited to see what type of offense Ben Johnson will use lacking a front court at present or likely a thin bench in readjusting on defense & offense....

Don't let the Debbie downers here get you down. Sure, it would have been nice to keep a few of the players from last year but let's not act like they weren't replaceable. Absolutely nobody from last year's team was irreplaceable. We'll be fine. Calm down everyone.

Don't let the Debbie downers here get you down. Sure, it would have been nice to keep a few of the players from last year but let's not act like they weren't replaceable. Absolutely nobody from last year's team was irreplaceable. We'll be fine. Calm down everyone.
I think replacing players like Robbins frontcourt talent, Carr's scoring , Kalschuer's Defense, Johnsons blue collar effort and possibly a emerging potential of Mashburn, mixed with new additions could have been formable....It would have been interesting to see if Ben Johnson could better utilize their skills even more than Pitino....

One of the bball coaches got back a day late from a Vegas weekend.
isn't the quiet period still on, so no visits?

if its UNLV, they had 10 enter the transfer portal and 4 have not landed anywhere yet (Bryce Hamilton is thinking of entering the draft, but also entered the portal)

perhaps Jaden Hardy? one could wish
guessing its not zaon collins, even though the DUI charges appear to have been dropped
maybe Christian Bento? ooops, just noticed he's committed to colorado christian

adding: bryan penn johnson is from the vegas area. not sure why he left LSU early this past season

Last edited:

I think replacing players like Robbins frontcourt talent, Carr's scoring , Kalschuer's Defense, Johnsons blue collar effort and possibly a emerging potential of Mashburn, mixed with new additions could have been formable....It would have been interesting to see if Ben Johnson could better utilize their skills even more than Pitino....
Agree. Each player had things they did well but also had flaws so while not irreplaceable I also would have like to see them stay.

Top Bottom