V Sonie

What Up Guy

Reaction score
I heard he committed to UNI? I dont really follow it much though. However I kinda thought Sonie was exactly the kind of MN kid Brewster would want to keep. The kind that produces on the field, makes big plays and makes up for his lack of measurables. It seems like these kind of kids always succeed when they get away.

I heard they offered, and he committed as well. I believe that was his 1st offer, and he took it, which is great - he gets to play football, and get a free education. Brewster had many changes to get Sonie to to the Gophers, especially when Bryce McNeal pretty much implied they could be a package deal.

I haven't had the opportunity to see Varmah play, so I really can't comment on his ability - but I always think it's so strange when a kid gets a huge honor like Mr. Football, but doesn't have any offers (or only has a few). With his case, he is small, but there was something Brewster must not have liked, as it did not seem he made any kind of move for him.

Regardless, I hope for the best for Vamah, that UNI is a good fit, and he does succeed. I always love to see these kids get scholarships!

Not saying this is a fact, but I believe it was mentioned on here that he may have had some trouble being admitted to the U.

Not saying this is a fact, but I believe it was mentioned on here that he may have had some trouble being admitted to the U.

so did taikwon paige, and unless you're drinking the kool-aid, you're not buying that one either. i heard sonie had issues too, but i don't think that's the reason he wasn't offered. if that was the case, offer him, get mcneal, sonie doesn't qualify, and you get the scholarship back.

Sonie just isn't good enough. He was a nice MN HS player, but lacks the size and speed to play in a top D1 program.

so did taikwon paige, and unless you're drinking the kool-aid, you're not buying that one either. i heard sonie had issues too, but i don't think that's the reason he wasn't offered. if that was the case, offer him, get mcneal, sonie doesn't qualify, and you get the scholarship back.

So not believing a kid that personally says in an interview that he failed some classes last semester is drinking kool-aid?

Sonie just isn't good enough. He was a nice MN HS player, but lacks the size and speed to play in a top D1 program.

Based on what? A 40 time? 40 times are all based on technique and don't necessarily showcase speed. Didn't realize Minnesota was a "top D1 program". He's certainly good enough to earn a scholarship at a mediocre Big Ten program, especially when it improves your chances of landing another top recruit.

I saw him play about 5 different times, and in each game he out ran everyone and that was in some tough Lake Conference games. He was by far away the most impressive player I had an opportunity to see since Mike Floyd last season. Incredible ability to stop on a dime, great vision, burst and most of all I thought he showed good toughness. I can live with a guy being undersized if he's tough enough to take a hit.

PS, The only legit reason I could see why he wouldn't have offered is if he didn't have room for another WR or CB.

Based on what? A 40 time? 40 times are all based on technique and don't necessarily showcase speed. Didn't realize Minnesota was a "top D1 program". He's certainly good enough to earn a scholarship at a mediocre Big Ten program, especially when it improves your chances of landing another top recruit.

I saw him play about 5 different times, and in each game he out ran everyone and that was in some tough Lake Conference games. He was by far away the most impressive player I had an opportunity to see since Mike Floyd last season. Incredible ability to stop on a dime, great vision, burst and most of all I thought he showed good toughness. I can live with a guy being undersized if he's tough enough to take a hit.

I saw him play, too. He was a nice player, but not a guy that could make it happen in the Big 10. UNI is perfect for him.

Keep in mind that outrunning kids on the Minnesota Gridiron doesn't exactly make you a D1 stud. If you have a chance to watch HS football from around the country like i do (thank you Charter Digital Cable) you'd see the dropoff in talent between Minnesota and some of the other top football states.

Remember Jake Machachek from Eastview? The kid ran for over 2,000 yards a few years ago. He was unstopable. Where did he end up?

St. Cloud State.

If he is good enough to warrant an offer from any mediocre Big 10 program, why didn't he get offered by Indiana?

In this case, I trust the scouts, not only at the U of M, but just about everywhere else. If he was a top-tier kid, he would have received offers.

Top Bottom