UW's Paul Chryst, Minnesota's P.J. Fleck guide their programs with different styles

Not just that, but don’t you think it would probably be harder for a guy like Chryst to come in and be successful with Minnesota because of his quiet nature? Wisconsin is established enough to where he doesn’t necessarily have to do a lot more than X and Os. Minnesota is still trying to build. I think we need a guy like Fleck right now in our program. Personally I’m happy with who we have as HC, where we are at right now as a program I’d rather have PJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that Chryst is better for Wis than he would be here, but I also think we have yet to see what type of guy it takes to be successful at Minnesota in this day and age. Alvarez is the guy that turned Wis around, and while he's certainly more demonstrative and glad-handsy than Chryst, he is still closer to Kill than Fleck on the spectrum of comparing personas. I don't know what the formula will be, but I don't agree that a promoter-first type is a necessary part of what the program needs, just as I don't agree that a X&O-first guy is necessary. The real key is whether you can develop talent - recruiting is a big part of that, but not everything.

That worked out pretty well for Utah. If Fleck ends up with similar success and decides to leave for a better program, I could live with the type of success Utah has enjoyed since Urban left there.

Me too!

Granted, Utah already had a lifer coach in Kyle Wittingham, who has done very well there after learning from Urban and taking over for him since 2004. Interesting to see his history: played at BYU, coach at Utah since 1994, DC since 97, including under Urban in 2003 & 04, then HC since.

Top Bottom