Using a page from history...

Reaction score
I will begin by stating this: I am a diehard Gopher Football fan and an eternal optimist. I support(ed) all coaches during their time here and believe that they should be given enough time to show what they are capable of. I am also a realist. When the coach shows he is not getting the job done, he needs to go. I am now, as with many, of the belief that Brewster has shown us his best which is obviously not good enough. The powers that be at The U need to show Mr. Brewster the door.
I am also a student of history, and taking a page from history, our current situation reminds me of events that led our 16th president to make (at the time) questionable decisions. During the Civil War President Lincoln changed Commanding Generals of the Army of the Potomac five times before getting it right with General Grant.
Let me get one thing straight: I am not saying that Lincoln and Maturi are equals at any level or have similar situations. What I am alluding to here is my belief that they Gophers need to get it right. I do not care how many hires and fires are made to do it. Once a winner is found who understands the fan base, the press, the team’s strengths, the basics of coaching and play calling in the Big Ten, and who can recruit PAY HIM to keep him here. That is a tall order but one that has been done before.
I understand the complexity that this entails. Before moving back to this lovely state a year ago, I spent the previous 10 years in Knoxville. I would look to their (of all things) basketball program for direction. They were basically a laughing stock in the SEC. They could not hire anyone who could do anything. That is until they hired a consulting firm to find a coach for them. This led directly to the hiring of Bruce Pearl, who in a manner of a couple of season completely turned the program around. Yes, I know about his recent NCAA issues, but that is beyond this topic.
I also know that The U hired a firm the when Brewster was hired, but did Maturi listen to them? Did he utilize their findings and hire the coach they recommended? I don’t know. Does anyone have any inside info on that? These firms can be a great resource to use and takes away much of the leg work, and The U wouldn’t have to rely on Maturi to screw up another one.
Anywho, just my thoughts. There are good coaches out there we just need to find the right one, hopefully without much delay. Here’s to better times in the future. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom