USC's Plan? Keep being arrogant a**es.

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/10444/mike-garrett-nothing-but-a-lot-of-envy

So, if my school got bitch-slapped by the NCAA I'm not sure I'd be doing the following:
“As I read the decision by the NCAA, all I could get out of all of this was … I read between the lines and there was nothing but a lot of envy, and they wish they all were Trojans,” Garrett said to cheers Thursday night at the San Francisco Airport Marriott.
Declaring that “we can still split a national championship if we win all our games,” Kiffin also indicated he was heartened to learn 56 of his players appeared this morning for a voluntary 7 a.m. workout.
“Regardless of what happens in that appeal, we know this: SC is more powerful than anything else,” Kiffin said. “The university, the football program, the basketball program -- no matter what they try to do to us, it won’t matter.
Wearing a striped cardinal-and-gold-colored tie -- and a smile -- Garrett had this to say when I approached him before the start of the event: “No comment. Don’t bother me. The world is great.”

While walking away with associates, he said, “Don’t talk to that guy. He’s the press.”

Later, when asked why he had not spoken publicly about the NCAA report or even issued a video statement, Garrett acted like he did not hear the question. He patted me on the chest and said, “God bless you.”

When a newspaper reporter asked if he were worried about his job,” Garrett patted that writer on the chest as well and said, “I’m just worried about your job.”

That's the kind of thing that gets the NCAA to think you're not taking them seriously. Normally, when you're hit by sanctions, you do a mea culpa, and move on. Here we are seeing people dismiss the sanctions as a conspiracy. Perhaps its red meat to the fans, but they shouldn't need this. You certainly don't want to send a "just be sneakier!" message to boosters, when you've just been hit by pretty heave sanctions.

In addition to the gall of USC trying to portray itself as the David against the NCAA's Goliath (USC is a Goliath by any measure), this looks a lot like DARING the NCAA to impose the death penalty the next time there is an infraction. I guess we could have a test case of whether or not the NCAA has the stomach for it.

Man oh man, the life skills that the USC football team is learning. No wonder there are so many gangs in LA.

Seriously, this looks like some real hubris going on. I do think the NCAA would be highly reluctant to give the death penalty to a high profile school these days, but with this level of arrogance coming from USC, it's possible.

What if USC got the death penalty, was kicked out of the PAC-10 and had to go to the WAC. I've got to imagine that USC's regents have to be awfully concerned about this type of arrogant response from their athletic department.

The USC fans keep yelling about law suits, and are certain that they have all the strong evidence needed to successfully appeal the decision. I hope this display of raw arrogance slaps them in the face over and over.

Wow. It appears the words "contrition" and "humility" aren't in USC's vocabulary. Garrett should be thankful he still has a job.

Good for the NCAA. They put the hammer down. They didn't let USC get away with trying to "look tough" with self-imposed penalties on their basketball program in the name of trying to protect their sacred cow (football). The NCAA saw right through that baloney.

Ha theyre gonna have a worse year than last year, I cant wait to see kiffin squirming in the bank.

The level of hubris and arrogance, even in the face of being caught red-handed, is beyond appalling. I won't hesitate to say that it's pretty obvious where this "we're above the law" attitude comes from. These statements by this supposed "leader" of the USC athletic department only further prove what many media members in the Los Angeles market have been saying since yesterday: USC literally thinks they are above all others, even the NCAA. What a garbage program they have out there.

Can you imagine if after sanctions were handed down to Gopher basketball after the Clem Haskins fiasco if the U had acted like this?

If the USC Administration/President have any class whatsoever, they will fire Garrett by the end of the day.

This is the only scenario in which his bravado and bluster make any sense.

He has to know he's getting fired forthwith, and he's going down swinging.

Either that, or he wants to get fired, and is doing his damndest to make it so.

Option 3 is that he's deluded and really buys this BS.

If the Administration really wanted to show some class, they would fire Kiffin as well. He, and Carroll, were as much a part of this whole mess as anybody.

That would be just too sweet...

I'm not sure. I'm in the camp that gets the impression he actually believes the crap he's spewing, hence the level of problems within their athletic department in the first place.

I have no problem with Kiffin's line. He has to try to motivate a team that's down.

But Garrett's stuff is way over the top. Crazy. I want some of what he's smoking.

I can't imagine that the board of regents, president, trustees, etc. of USC can be too happy about these comments-this is a black mark on not just the athletic program but the entire university, and Garrett's comments bring nothing but embarrassment, one would think, to the entire university.

Here is a good article by Plaschke (times columnist - you may recognize him from ESPN's Around the Horn (which I can't stand, but anyway)):

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0611-plaschke-usc-ncaa-20100611-9,0,458661.column

Love the comments to the story:

"Cmon, Bill...reality check time. Since when is it ok to penalize people who were never involved in the problem?"

"You people in the media are the arrogant ones. I see no evidence of USC doing anything wrong. I see Reggie Bush's greedy parents doing something but I can't see how anyone can expect USC to know what they were doing 200 miles away from USC."

Here is a good article by Plaschke (times columnist - you may recognize him from ESPN's Around the Horn (which I can't stand, but anyway)):

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0611-plaschke-usc-ncaa-20100611-9,0,458661.column

Nice piece (and I can't stand him on that show either). The only thing that bothers me is that there isn't any real competition in Cali for USC, so they'll probably be back to alpha dog in 5 years. Its too bad Cal and Stanford have academic standards.

Hey Mike

You said you read it? How about the proviso that you are on probation for 4 years. I know bravado is your stock and trade, but dial it back. I would imagine the NCAA has an investigator or three living in LA. And I am sure they know the lay of the land, the agents, the boosters, the hangerons. You opening up like this, sends a message to the investigators get back to work.

There are other allegations, and it was more than just Bush and Mayo. The NCAA does not have the right to supena anyone. Its all driven by witness testimony. It may take another 4 weeks, 4 months, or heck 4 years. Just one more improper incentive, oooh some tickets to away games, a car make that a BMW, maybe side deal for mom or dad. Think swarmy, its what investigators do. You can bet investigators will monitor access at practice, agent contact, where there is a fire, there is always something smoldering.

Nice piece (and I can't stand him on that show either). The only thing that bothers me is that there isn't any real competition in Cali for USC, so they'll probably be back to alpha dog in 5 years. Its too bad Cal and Stanford have academic standards.

Never know, UCLA could re-emerge as a power. A lot can happen in 5 years.

Top Bottom