USC: Two-year Bowl Ban

It's interesting that in that same article, it is noted that Kiffen (who was then the O-Coordinator) retained McNair as the Running Backs coach when hired as head coach this past spring.

Yea, the SB Nation USC blog noted that too. I'm wondering if he hid his involvement from LK too or if LK made a very arrogant "the NCAA isn't going to hit us" move.

Now that the hammer has been delivered to USC, I must say I'm both surprised and pleased that the NCAA actually stood up and laid the smack down hard.

Two-year postseason ban, loss of 30 schollies, vacating wins in 2004 and 2005 for football. For basketball, one year postseason ban and reducing of schollies. The entire athletic department being put on probation for four years. :eek::eek:

Things don't figure to be too much fun in south Los Angeles for awhile.

Yea, the SB Nation USC blog noted that too. I'm wondering if he hid his involvement from LK too or if LK made a very arrogant "the NCAA isn't going to hit us" move.

Who knows, but I think Lane knew exactly what this guy had done (and knew what he was doing at the time, and of what benefits Reg and fam were receiving). Maybe the guy is taking the sword for everyone else and for that, LK is keeping him on...

I don't know, it's a mess, but Garrett and Kiffin are both getting what they deserved.

The USC boards are all yelling that they should sue...and sue everyone. The NCAA, agents, coaches. It's like it's a new stage in the grieving process.

Unlikely since the fact that the announcement would come today has been out there since at least Tuesday (its only the actual penalties that leaked out last night). As a result it would be difficult to time it to the Stanley Cup win or NU news since:
1) How could they know Chicago would win the Stanley Cup?
2) The Nebraska news broke AFTER they announced when the penalty press conference would be.

But no one said a conspiracy theory had to make sense! ;)

Thanks for the info -- I didn't really know much on the timing as I've been pretty busy with school wrapping up for the last few days...even so, I think USC is able to save some public face with this timing. Any other day this would have been front page news...now with the conference realignment talk and the Stanley Cup (along with the NBA Finals) it is pushed back a bit.

While everyone wants to sue etc. Will the players sulk or play harder because they are mad?

You suppose Mr. Kiffin opts out of his LOI? Lol

can their incoming players transfer out? whether they can or cannot hypothetical question, if they could transfer out and that big fat lineman from St.Paul wanted to come here, would you welcome the move or not?

can their incoming players transfer out? whether they can or cannot hypothetical question, if they could transfer out and that big fat lineman from St.Paul wanted to come here, would you welcome the move or not?

I posted this earlier, maybe on a different thread. Not sure of the rules, but it appears from this post that there may be different rules for different classes.

From Pete Thamel of the NY Times:

"I go to bed with this. With essentially open market on USC seniors and juniors (free transfer), how many coaches have called already?
about 14 hours ago via...

Here's what I'm quite curious about-how does Lane Kiffin, Mr. Secondary Violations, keep the collective USC noses clean during his tenure as head coach? He doesn't seem like the type of coach you want running a ship when disciplined recruiting/contact/etc. needs to occur. Can Lane straighten up his act or will he run them head-long towards the death penalty?

slap on the wrist

Do you people realize SC has been cheating at this level since the O.J. days. USC should be getting the death penalty, no football for two years. Remember Anthony Davis, Charles White? Both had cars, a girl supplied, school work done, money and on and on. That was back in the 70's.

I have a q. anyone know this.

with this sactions, Does USC loses its exemption for playing in Hawaii. Someone on another board i post at, said that and that USC has to drop a game from it 2010 schedule.

A couple of things about the USC news that has put a nice smile on my face:

1) They got exactly what the deserved-the NCAA took off the kiddie gloves and laid down the proper punishment
2) Lane Kiffin.....'nuff said!
3) It's great to see everyone on this board in such a great mood for a change!!!
4) While the line between college/pro athletics and marketing has become more blurry over the years, there is no question that USC took it to an entirely unhealthy level.

Sleep well, Lane!

Top Bottom