USC hearings

balds

Reaction score
have commenced. Any insight, thoughts or speculation on what will be the outcome? I see Pete Carroll was there "being a good soldier". - his own words.

have commenced. Any insight, thoughts or speculation on what will be the outcome? I see Pete Carroll was there "being a good soldier". - his own words.

Nothing of substance. Either it will be the NCAA has determined that there is nothing significant to pursue, or that they(NCAA) will have to launch a deeper probe which will take months(my pick) that will still most likely produce nothing.

I think that in the end Seantrel will not get the slam dunk definative answer he was hoping for.

From what I've heard, after today's hearing it will take at least 6 weeks before the NCAA comes down with a punishment

I don't think the NCAA has the stomach to lay down any serious punishment on a program like USC. There's to much pressure to let them off with a slap on the wrist.

My prediction is that as a result of the investigation into USC's wrongdoing, Cleveland State will be placed on probation and lose 10 scholarships.

PS...i stole this from Jerry Tarkanian.

USC sanctions

It seems strange that it involves a basketball player, OJ Mayo and a former RB Reggie Bush who left for the NFL. If they dont catch them at the time of infractions while they are still in school, nothing will probably be done.

I do not see anything major against the big,bad, almighty USC. Plus, I think the NCAA is trying to just scare them a little. Or just a strange wake-up call to them.

I expect that the results of the hearing will be inconclusive but enough will be found to justify a fuller investigation. The NCAA will then drag out the investigation until they know how much is going to come out in Reggie Bush's public trial. I don't think they will dare attempt a whitewash with a public trial looming.

I don't think the NCAA has the stomach to lay down any serious punishment on a program like USC. There's to much pressure to let them off with a slap on the wrist.

I'm torn on this one. One side of me says that the NCAA CAN'T let this one go--with Carroll leaving and all the Congressional scrutiny, they may be obliged to finally nail these guys.

The other says that it's bad for business to nail the only pro football team in Los Angeles.

I'm torn on this one. One side of me says that the NCAA CAN'T let this one go--with Carroll leaving and all the Congressional scrutiny, they may be obliged to finally nail these guys.

The other says that it's bad for business to nail the only pro football team in Los Angeles.

The NCAA will just find some obscure school, crucify them for lesser infractions and say "see how tough we are on violators?".

Well, I tend to agree with the reluctance of NCAA to spank USC real hard, but then again when they hit SMU with the death penalty that program had risen to national prominence. Or am I misremembering?

SMU?

SMU recieved the almighty penalty for an organized "payroll" for their football players. This was started by the school president,AD and other crooks. Eric Dickerson came out pretty good after he bailed for the NFL. I think the USC stuff was just a couple of boosters involved. (?)

Well, I tend to agree with the reluctance of NCAA to spank USC real hard, but then again when they hit SMU with the death penalty that program had risen to national prominence. Or am I misremembering?

That's why they won't do it again.

It seems strange that it involves a basketball player, OJ Mayo and a former RB Reggie Bush who left for the NFL. If they dont catch them at the time of infractions while they are still in school, nothing will probably be done.

I do not see anything major against the big,bad, almighty USC. Plus, I think the NCAA is trying to just scare them a little. Or just a strange wake-up call to them.

They have combined the two cases to go after a failure to supervise charge on the whole athletic department. That is a much more serious charge than going after either team individually.

The basketball case is open and closed because the involved parties have already admitted guilt.

Because Bush had left school by the time the improper gifts were discovered they couldn't compell him to testify in front of the NCAA. Therefore, they had to wait until testimony in private litigation against Bush and his family became available before they could get all of the information they wanted to nail USC. Assuming Bush settled or lost his case (I haven't followed it and don't know where it stands but because the NCAA ahs the testimony and is bringing this case it says something about that case) it should be open and shut on football too. That would mean that USC will have to forfeit games in which he participated after accepting gifts (and he could lose his Heisman).

The bigger question is whether the NCAA can combine the two cases and convince the panel that even if USC didn't arrange the benefits that it should have known about the benefits.

Personally I think USC gets treated similarly to Alabama a few years ago and they end up losing some scholarships.

The Bush case has been assigned to a judge for a public trial the private negotiations broke down.

USC sanctions

Thanks for your feedback fellow G'holers. This thing may be more serious than I originally thought.
I forgot all about Reggie's Heisman trophy. They may have to give that baby up.

Since this both involves BB and FB at USC, they will maybe just lose a few scholarships out of the deal. Or worse, I hope. Maybe Henderson will change his mind and end up being a Gopher after all. HA.

Top Bottom