USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!!

Brew_recruit

Reaction score
We don't like your kind around here. Why didn't we chant it when Joseph was shooting FT's??????????

God that was lame, and we looked andsounded like fools. We are dieing for a recruit who is from Canada too.

Why would we remind a serbian center that he is not american if we want him to miss?

it would make sense if we went to school in Georgia, but we go to school in MN.

Not a fan of it at all.. It would be acceptable if we didn't have and want the Josephs

The USA chants only make sense if we're playing Wisconsin.

Come on - it's just a chant. It doesn't have to make sense - or be politically correct. This is a basketball game. It's not a meeting of the United Nations.

No, it was actually just hilarious.

Agreed! It's probably one of my favorite things about playing NU (since their 1-3-1 cetainly isn't). It's a joke, and it's hilarious year in and year out - you kind of set yourself up for that when at least 2/3 of your team has European names that no one can pronounce.

There are always funny chants, that are just - funny. Not PC, not sending a serious message, etc. I remember when people got all up in arms about doing the "Gopher Rejects" chant to UMD. If you take yourself too seriously, you should be at home, watching the news - rather than at a college bball game where people are just having fun, and trying to do anything to distract the opposing team for a second.

Agreed! It's probably one of my favorite things about playing NU (since their 1-3-1 cetainly isn't). It's a joke, and it's hilarious year in and year out - you kind of set yourself up for that when at least 2/3 of your team has European names that no one can pronounce.

There are always funny chants, that are just - funny. Not PC, not sending a serious message, etc. I remember when people got all up in arms about doing the "Gopher Rejects" chant to UMD. If you take yourself too seriously, you should be at home, watching the news - rather than at a college bball game where people are just having fun, and trying to do anything to distract the opposing team for a second.

Are you seriously comparing the classic gopher rejects chant to the lamest chant in the history of the barn???? It makes us look like white hicks from little old MN, and that is a big reason why many recruits don't even think about coming to this school.

Are you seriously comparing the classic gopher rejects chant to the lamest chant in the history of the barn???? It makes us look like white hicks from little old MN, and that is a big reason why many recruits don't even think about coming to this school.

You are correct! As a matter of fact - whenever I ask any recruit what the biggest downfall is to MN - they specifically list the "USA" cheer at the Northwestern games. Note to Tubby - may as well stop recruiting now, because nothing you can do can ever overcome this chant. :rolleyes:

You are correct! As a matter of fact - whenever I ask any recruit what the biggest downfall is to MN - they specifically list the "USA" cheer at the Northwestern games. Note to Tubby - may as well stop recruiting now, because nothing you can do can ever overcome this chant. :rolleyes:

What was that Joke that Chris Rock had about MN??? There are no black people here expect prince and kirby pucket? Talk to people outside of this state about MN and they think white people who are cold all the time. Why should we look like ignorant yupies with dumb ass chants that basically say "we don't like your kind around here", and reinforce the stereotype that MN is full of vanilla plain boring people. But if you love it there is not point to argue about it, I just had to say that It makes us sound ignorant that is all.

FFS. if yo cant take a little insensitivity then gtfo my barn. you must be horribly offended by the kill rape pillage burn chant too im guessing?

What was that Joke that Chris Rock had about MN??? There are no black people here expect prince and kirby pucket? Talk to people outside of this state about MN and they think white people who are cold all the time. Why should we look like ignorant yupies with dumb ass chants that basically say "we don't like your kind around here", and reinforce the stereotype that MN is full of vanilla plain boring people. But if you love it there is not point to argue about it, I just had to say that It makes us sound ignorant that is all.

I suppose you'll also say that we shouldn't boo a bad call by the refs either because that shows that "as a whole, Minnesotans hate refs." In fact, Americans shouldn't use the USA chant ever again as that will just piss off every other country in the world and they'll probably all go to war with us. :rolleyes:

It is a funny chant. Everyone around us thought so as well. And Brew Recruit, I am not looking forward to the day where I have to look to Chris Rock to see what my great state is all about. And dont talk about our chants affecting recruiting. I would rather have the USA chant then the stuff many schools chanted at JJ Reddick during his time at Duke.

How about a Freakin' original chant. Get creative and make me laugh. The USA chant was lame. How about, Forehead, Forehead, Forehead.... The guy had some serious space between his eyebrows and his hairline.

Forehead guy

Speaking of Forehead Guy for Northwestern. It shocks me that this guy has made some solid contributions for his team this year. They kept trying to establish an inside game by feeding him...and he just looked silly trying to get shots off against the likes of Damian, Sampson, Williams and Iverson. There's alot to be dissatisfied with regarding this team, but I'm loving our shotblocking presence in the paint. Damian is the biggest freak of them all...

It's disturbing that this chant was mentioned in the AP recap of this game. Now we are nationally known as being insensitive to international players. Watch the amount of poeple shaking their heads or putting their faces in their hands next time this happens, though I hope we do away with this ridiculous chant. I'm sure the athletic department is not happy with this being mentioned nationally.

It's disturbing that this chant was mentioned in the AP recap of this game. Now we are nationally known as being insensitive to international players. Watch the amount of poeple shaking their heads or putting their faces in their hands next time this happens, though I hope we do away with this ridiculous chant. I'm sure the athletic department is not happy with this being mentioned nationally.

No kidding. SportsCenter spent 15 minutes on it this morning. Skip Bayless shredded us on First Take. Then Outside the Lines had Yinke Dare and Dikembe Mutombo on to get their reaction and they said they'd never step foot in Minnesota. Just wait for the skewering from Olbermann and the liberals. Strangely, Rush spent an hour on it and loved it. If Obama mentions it in the State of the Union, what will happen to Brewster's recruiting class and our chances with Joseph?

SRS BZNS GUYS

really this is just another example of people taking things way too seriously. its college kids acting stupid/acting insensitive just for the hell of it. i seriously doubt many if any!! students actually hold a prejudice against whatever intl country we're playing.

this is just the overtly liberal media lambasting anything and everything even slightly politically incorrect. what would happen if france or germany or england started the same kind of chant at the olympics? id say that they would be applauded

No kidding. SportsCenter spent 15 minutes on it this morning. Skip Bayless shredded us on First Take. Then Outside the Lines had Yinke Dare and Dikembe Mutombo on to get their reaction and they said they'd never step foot in Minnesota. Just wait for the skewering from Olbermann and the liberals. Strangely, Rush spent an hour on it and loved it. If Obama mentions it in the State of the Union, what will happen to Brewster's recruiting class and our chances with Joseph?

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

That may or may not have been started by me. And it was hilarious by the way.

I have to say sometimes the student section comes up with some really funny stuff. I have no problem with the USA chant...but hilarious? Hardly. Original...definitely not. That's not to say the students always have to be original. I still get a kick out of the left right left right chant when a foe fouls out. I even laughed when Sampson III fouled out at Indiana and he did a little dance before he sat down. The Indiana students laughed as well.

Over all I would think our student section could be a lot more original than USA USA USA when an alien is at the line (Mirkovic...Serbia).

Hmm how about ... Alien, Alien, Alien. (Certainly not PC) I haven't heard that many places before. Then when a different alien (Peljusi...Croatia) was at the line you could yell Alien 2, Alien 2, Alien 2 like the movie. But that might make Devoe and his brother feel bad too so never mind.

Humor is a matter of taste. After all the French think Jerry Lewis is hilarious. I don't.

I have to say sometimes the student section comes up with some really funny stuff. I have no problem with the USA chant...but hilarious? Hardly. Original...definitely not. That's not to say the students always have to be original. I still get a kick out of the left right left right chant when a foe fouls out. I even laughed when Sampson III fouled out at Indiana and he did a little dance before he sat down. The Indiana students laughed as well.

Over all I would think our student section could be a lot more original than USA USA USA when an alien is at the line (Mirkovic...Serbia).

Hmm how about ... Alien, Alien, Alien. (Certainly not PC) I haven't heard that many places before. Then when a different alien (Peljusi...Croatia) was at the line you could yell Alien 2, Alien 2, Alien 2 like the movie. But that might make Devoe and his brother feel bad too so never mind.

Humor is a matter of taste. After all the French think Jerry Lewis is hilarious. I don't.

AMEN! i was just about to post something very similar to this. this was about the lamest chant i have ever heard.

how are we going to compete with the 'name' programs when the student section lacks even a modicum of wit?

SRS BZNS GUYS

really this is just another example of people taking things way too seriously. its college kids acting stupid/acting insensitive just for the hell of it. i seriously doubt many if any!! students actually hold a prejudice against whatever intl country we're playing.

this is just the overtly liberal media lambasting anything and everything even slightly politically incorrect. what would happen if france or germany or england started the same kind of chant at the olympics? id say that they would be applauded

BUT this wasn't the Olympics

Top Bottom