USA Today: Urban Meyer will speak to Big Ten coaches about weak recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

In an appearance on 97.1 The Fan in Columbus, Oh., Meyer said that he planned on addressing the Big Ten's poor recruiting directly with conference head coaches during an upcoming coaches meeting on Monday.

Meyer… will speak… directly… to Big Ten coaches… about how much better they should be doing on the recruiting trail. Directly!

Meyer also said he was concerned about how the Big Ten fared on signing day when compared to the SEC, which had 10 teams in Rivals.com's top 25 classes for 2013. In comparison, the Big Ten only had three teams in the top 25: No. 2 Ohio State, No. 5 Michigan and No. 17 Nebraska.

Said Meyer, "our whole conversation needs to be, how do we recruit?"

Recruit more like the SEC – 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, Meyer might tell his Big Ten peers. Hey, it worked for the Buckeyes on Wednesday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/07/urban-meyer-big-ten-coaches-weak-recruiting/1899715/

Go Gophers!!

A little easier to recruit at a very high level when you barely have to move to find it. Most of the B1G teams have to travel to find talent, that's just the way it is. OSU and Michigan don't have that problem as much cause there is a lot of quality in their own backyard. But us, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, even Indiana....you gotta go out and get it. That's a whole different dynamic.

no way this goes down as it is typed above. speaking with peers ..ok. Speaking to peers uh uh.

A little easier to recruit at a very high level when you barely have to move to find it. Most of the B1G teams have to travel to find talent, that's just the way it is. OSU and Michigan don't have that problem as much cause there is a lot of quality in their own backyard. But us, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, even Indiana....you gotta go out and get it. That's a whole different dynamic.

That certainly is a huge part of the issue. The proximity to talent in the south in general is better than in the north. I certainly don't think it is a lack of effort since any college coach knows he has to recruit good players or he has no chance to survive and will get fired.

Recruit more like the SEC – 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, Meyer might tell his Big Ten peers. Hey, it worked for the Buckeyes on Wednesday.

So you're saying that you need to work hard to recruit well? Brilliant!

Pac12 had 4, Big12 had 3, and ACC had 3. For comparison's sake.

I don't know why every coach in the Big Ten doesn't just have the program history and name recognition that Ohio State has. Why are they such dummies?

People act like Tressel wasn't pulling in top 10 classes when he was there. Urban Meyer invented recruiting apparently.

The B1G needs to hire all of GopherHole to recruit for all of the teams. I mean we know more, we are better judges of talent from 37 second videos, and work so closely together for the good of the group.

It appears that we should all be adopting OSU's approach to recruiting. First hire an egotistical prick as your coach and second don't actually recruit but instead select who you want. It costs less too. Brilliant!

It is pretty crazy how much difference being a national brand makes.

I'm sure Brady Hoke will be there, pen and notebook in hand.

It appears that we should all be adopting OSU's approach to recruiting. First hire an egotistical prick as your coach and second don't actually recruit but instead select who you want. It costs less too. Brilliant!

I'll take an egotistical prick any day if he wins.

Haters gonna hate.

Urban is the best coach in the B1G; anything he can do to raise the bar competition-wise I'm for it.

He's been in the belly of the beast, the SEC is a vicious league and he knows what you have to do to win it.

I hope the new television contracts mandate expenditure minimums for things like recruiting, player amenities, facilities, etc.

I hope the new television contracts mandate expenditure minimums for things like recruiting, player amenities, facilities, etc.

So you won't OSU forced to spend more on recruiting? Everyone but Wis. spent more.

Yeah, it's easier to recruit at a national level if you are a national brand, but there are some schools like Wisconsin and Michigan State that aren't carrying their weight when it comes to recruiting. 3 straight Big Ten championships and you STILL can only get one 4* player? I know that Bielema left, but that was basically his class. Their recruiting model is basically the same as it has been since the 90s (fill up with any local kid worth a damn, get the rest from the Midwest, grab one or two mediocre kids from Florida)

People might not like it, but right now Meyer is like my puppy harassing my two older dogs. He knows he's pissing them off and that they can't keep up with him, but he just wants someone to play with.

B1G schools actually have academic admission standards. SEC schools cheat and are basically JUCO's.

Let's play some of those New Year's Day bowls game at Lambeau Field or Soldier Field and see how they do playing major bowl games on the road.

So you won't OSU forced to spend more on recruiting? Everyone but Wis. spent more.

Elite level schools like Ohio State can only get so many players.

If a mid-tier B1G school is spending more than a mid-tier ACC/BigXII school though that would benefit the B1G programs.

. ... But there are some schools like Wisconsin and Michigan State that aren't carrying their weight when it comes to recruiting.

Not carrying their weight when it comes to recruiting? Isn't the more important objective to produce results on the field? Whatever the star ratings of their recruits, over the last 3 years Bucky & Sparty have been the best 2 programs in the Big Ten save for OSU, which was busted for cheating one year (2010) and ineligible in another (2012).

Wisconsin: 3 straight Rose Bowls, 3 straight conference titles (shared in 2010), 30-11 overall mark, 18-7 vs. Big Ten competition.

Michigan State: 1 conference title (shared in 2010), 1 division title, 29-11 overall mark, 17-8 vs. Big Ten competition, only Big Ten team with a bowl win in each of the last 2 seasons.

No question with Meyer that Ohio State's become the B1G's alpha dog once again, but it's a disservice to say Wisconsin and MSU aren't carrying their weight. If they're not, who is?

Not carrying their weight when it comes to recruiting? Isn't the more important objective to produce results on the field? Whatever the star ratings of their recruits, over the last 3 years Bucky & Sparty have been the best 2 programs in the Big Ten save for OSU, which was busted for cheating one year (2010) and ineligible in another (2012).

Wisconsin: 3 straight Rose Bowls, 3 straight conference titles (shared in 2010), 30-11 overall mark, 18-7 vs. Big Ten competition.

Michigan State: 1 conference title (shared in 2010), 1 division title, 29-11 overall mark, 17-8 vs. Big Ten competition, only Big Ten team with a bowl win in each of the last 2 seasons.

No question with Meyer that Ohio State's become the B1G's alpha dog once again, but it's a disservice to say Wisconsin and MSU aren't carrying their weight.

Since Urban is talking about recruiting, he is obviously judging it against the entire country. Michigan State and Wisconsin are really good programs, but part of the reason why we struggle in bowl games (and the non-conference) is because the premier programs are recruiting better than real good Big 10 programs.

It's about wins and losses, but you can't compare it against other teams in the Big 10 (because they also need to recruit better according to Meyer).

That's fair.

Meyer is quite full of himself, but definitely his addition to the Big Ten coaching ranks has raised the bar. I feel the same way about Hoke, and he's a much more likable dude than Urban (not that being liked is all that important).

Meyer may go down as our best coach ever if he can improve our recruiting that much. ;)

Yeah, it's easier to recruit at a national level if you are a national brand, but there are some schools like Wisconsin and Michigan State that aren't carrying their weight when it comes to recruiting. 3 straight Big Ten championships and you STILL can only get one 4* player? I know that Bielema left, but that was basically his class. Their recruiting model is basically the same as it has been since the 90s (fill up with any local kid worth a damn, get the rest from the Midwest, grab one or two mediocre kids from Florida)

People might not like it, but right now Meyer is like my puppy harassing my two older dogs. He knows he's pissing them off and that they can't keep up with him, but he just wants someone to play with.

Michigan State and WIsconsin both had 3 4* guys according to Rivals. Wisconsin had 4 according to 247 and MSU had 5. Scout has Wisconsin at 2 4* guys and MSU at 4. Given that they both had fairly small classes in terms of full-scholarship guys, that doesn't seem too bad.

Top Bottom