USA Today: Antoine Winfield Jr., son of former Pro Bowl cornerback, wants to make name for himself at NFL combine

Just Gopher It!!

Reaction score
Love the buzz this type of article creates for the program. This has to be one of the best story lines of this draft and would be cool if Tom Rinaldi (whose reporting I generally enjoy) has one of those "behind the draft" mini-features ESPN loves to run.

More importantly, so happy for him as he carries it so well and he stuck when many would have left after what he went through (shows more or his true colors). Shudder to thing how F'd we'd have been without him - jeezo bezzo

Two more years at an elite level (9+wins), win the West and keep pumping out pro players we'll be considered one of the IT programs of the B10 nationally (along with OSU and Michigan and put those bumps to the East & South back where they belong as our little brothers).

This is just a continuation of the good vibes from the Outback Bowl.

I wonder if he's going to the draft? If so, hope Fleck goes as well.

can you dig it.gif

Last edited:

AWjr is a great ambassador for Gopher Football!

He handled the interview with savoir faire. There's no mistaking his articulate confidence. He can back it up in the playing field.

If you watched AW's game films and compare it to AWjr's, the pedigree is evident. But, you are looking at a better version.

IIRC, he wanted to play for his dad's alma mater, tOSU. They were loaded at Safety. His height became a factor in spite of his dad being short too, and even after running IIRC, a 4.33 40.

IMHO, father and son both felt slighted. The OSU"s lost was the Gopher's tremendous gain. He more than proved detractors wrong. He will do it again today at The Combine.

Ask the PSU and Fresno State coaching staff. AWjr's devastating game changing interceptions will be remembered for a long time.

He was king of the toos before PJ Fleck, The Toos Maestro, came to town.

He is worthy of a 1st Round pick IMHO after today's Combine performance. He has the potential to be a future Pro Bowler.

One more thing. He will be a good sports commentator after his playing days are over. The potential to make more money is insane. It was announced that Tony Romo will be making $17 mil a year as a sports commentator.

Last edited:

AWjr had an impressive workout.
4.45 40
36" vertical
10'4" broad jump

His draft stock was enhanced according to cbssports.com:

Along with his solid 40 time, Minnesota safety Antoine Winfield Jr., the son of former Ohio State and NFL standout cornerback Antoine Winfield, had a strong day of on-field work that should help improve his draft stock. Winfield, who picked off seven passes during his final season with the Gophers, is currently tabbed by CBS Sports as the fourth best safety in this year's draft.

From Peter King’s FMIA column today:

2. I think Antoine Winfield Jr., made himself a lot of money in the past few days. Teams love the approach of the son of the former Viking cornerback, his knowledge of the game, his 4.48 speed. “He has a lot of the personal traits and football instincts of Jamal Adams,” one coach told me of the University of Minnesota product.

Great for AW11. I hope the young man gets paid and has a terrific career.

Top Bottom