updated seating availability

GopherRube

Reaction score
I'm on the waiting list at about 600 (crossing my fingers that I get tickets). I just graduated last May and got screwed out of this whole gopher points thing since I've been getting student tickets the last 5 years. Anyways, where can I go to see the updates that everyone is talking about of the seating availability left in the stadium? Do you have to already have a seat selection time? I'm getting kind of nervous as to how fast seats are going and just wanted to see updates on what areas are still left.

Also, for all you other wait-listers, do you know when we are going to find out if there are seats available to us?

Any other season ticket holders looking to sell some of their tickets, I would be happy to pay top dollar for them as I am a die hard fan and can't miss these games. Thanks!

A coworker of mine just got tickets last week He was told by the ticket office they expect half the waiting list to get tickets. So, you should be good to go. I'm #72, so, I'm feeling good that I'll get seats, but concerned where my choices will be. The good news I don't think there will be a real bad seat in the place.

What was the article about? The link doesn't seem to work now (i.e. "file not found")

I guess it must have been on some aspect of "horse manure..." sonnygarcia must be a farmer or something. ; 0 )

I'm on the waiting list at about 600 (crossing my fingers that I get tickets). I just graduated last May and got screwed out of this whole gopher points thing since I've been getting student tickets the last 5 years.

At #600, you'll be able to get tickets. There is an outside chance that you will get seats with your back to the main scoreboard (these have been the least popular seats). But it is more likely you will be able to get upper-deck bleacher seat corner tickets near the student section. These sections were untouched until a couple days ago.

The only recent-grads who are going to get "screwed" are those who failed to put their names on the $15 (cheap) waiting list. But odds are these are people who didn't really care much last year.

This shows what's been taken. Lots of colors, but all that matters is that anything that is not green is already sold out. I outlined (in blue) the areas I'm talking about. A lot of the area behind the West endzone is available right now too, but this only comes out to a few dozen seats.

picture.php

I must be a little slow. How is the STrib reporting numbers provided to them by the University that were accurate as of the date given qualify as HS reporting?

"The current season-ticket base is 29,110 -- excluding students -- and there is a waiting list of about 2,000 that is expected to translate to at least 5,000 tickets."

-- The article made it sound like everyone on the waiting list would get tickets. If this isn't true (which apparently the tik office is saying maybe 600 waiting listers will get tiks), I'm guessing the U has somewhat of a clue not to throw it out there in the paper.

"The current season-ticket base is 29,110 -- excluding students -- and there is a waiting list of about 2,000 that is expected to translate to at least 5,000 tickets."

-- The article made it sound like everyone on the waiting list would get tickets. If this isn't true (which apparently the tik office is saying maybe 600 waiting listers will get tiks), I'm guessing the U has somewhat of a clue not to throw it out there in the paper.

Is that a sell out?

5,000 + 29,000 + 10,000 = 44,000.. how many away tickets? 6,000?

3,000 away
1,500-1,800 Athletic department tickets

I also believe the 1,500 (or whatever the number is) outdoor club seats count towards the 50,000.

So take the 29,500 (guaranteed) + 10,000 (student) + 5,000 (wait-list) + 3,000 (visitor) + 1,500 (AD) + 1,500 (club seats) = 50,500

And I think it's safe to read this and think they were passing on the U's own expectation. Even if you assume that Brackin pulled the "expected" # out of his a** I still don't see what you're all worked up about…it was an estimation. If the expectation listed in this article proves to be wrong (and its all hearsay that only 1/2 the waitlist will get in) all that means is that each waitlist person selected more seats than expected. Trying to estimate whether someone plans to take 1 or 4 seats isn't an exact science.

As I see it in the month since this article was written A) the size of the waitlist hasn't changed significantly, B) the # of seats needed for a sellout hasn't changed, and C) no wait list seats have even been sold yet. Despite the fact that basically nothing has changed, only 1/2 the waitlist is now likely to get tickets. Doing the math it seems to me that we've gone from 2,000 waitlist accounts equalling 5,000 seats to approx 1,000 accounts equalling 5,000 (or more) seats. The only thing that accounts for this is some change in the assumption of how many seats each new ticket holder will take.

I used to be all over Votary and other posters who questioned the numbers being cited from the U, but I have to admit that I can now see where they were coming from. There is simply no way to do a great job estimating this stuff. We're all dependent on 2nd hand info from the U that seems to change based on who you're talking to (i.e. ticket office phone folks versus Maturi). I think we'll sell out no prob, but I also think that folks within the first 1,500+ spots on the waitlist will get seats without issue.

The point is, there are obviously not going to be thousands of single game tickets available. There may be some held by the U, and some returned by some visitors. But there will be no need to be marketing tickets to the public. A mojor departure from the dome years.

Mission accomplished. The marginal fans are pretty much getting bumped. It appears that the era of Minnesotans deciding wheather or not they are going to "take in a Gopher game" depending on how the team is doing are over.

Goldmember,

Would love to see that same pic you stuck in your post above early next week, after all season ticket holders have picked. Thanks.

GoAUpher,

I'm kind of pissed about it because that article made it sound like they were hoping the wait list accounted for 5,000 tiks, AND there would still be tiks left. Based on that article I decided not to buy a season tik from a buddy for this year because I wanted a set under my name (and didn't want to commit to him and back out after the fact). So now, it sounds like I have a chance I won't even get tiks, when the f'ing paper made it sound like a sure thing.

I think the one other variable that may have changed throughout the process is the number of people who decided not to choose seats in the new stadium (i.e. - drop their tickets). At the time, we all said that the U likely was low-balling it's estimate to be sure they hit the number they were expected.

If they started to declare it a sellout back then, there was no way to beat expectations.

When I joined the waitlist, I had to circle how many tickets I wanted 1-4, and I'm assuming they are going to hold people to that number, so estimating how many tickets the waitlist accounts turn into shouldn't be that hard actually.

At any rate, even if everyone picked that originally had a number, there should be roughly 5,000 seats left for the waitlist (3-400 of which could end up being $500 seats depending how the final few days go). That would mean that even if every waitlist person took 4 tickets (a big if), the first 1,250 would get in.

At #600, you'll be able to get tickets. There is an outside chance that you will get seats with your back to the main scoreboard (these have been the least popular seats). But it is more likely you will be able to get upper-deck bleacher seat corner tickets near the student section. These sections were untouched until a couple days ago.

The only recent-grads who are going to get "screwed" are those who failed to put their names on the $15 (cheap) waiting list. But odds are these are people who didn't really care much last year.

This shows what's been taken. Lots of colors, but all that matters is that anything that is not green is already sold out. I outlined (in blue) the areas I'm talking about. A lot of the area behind the West endzone is available right now too, but this only comes out to a few dozen seats.

picture.php

Thanks for posting this. It helps me get a realistic idea of where my seats would possible be. I am #14 on the waiting list. Not concerned about getting tickets just would like to get the best seats possible w/o paying the big boy fees.

As far as premium seats go ...

it looks like there are less than 250, $500 seats left and less than 150, $250 seats. Other than singles, it looks like the premium seats are gone this week.

I'm kind of pissed about it because that article made it sound like they were hoping the wait list accounted for 5,000 tiks, AND there would still be tiks left. Based on that article I decided not to buy a season tik from a buddy for this year because I wanted a set under my name (and didn't want to commit to him and back out after the fact). So now, it sounds like I have a chance I won't even get tiks, when the f'ing paper made it sound like a sure thing.

Touche. That sucks dude...I'm sorry!!! :(

I used to be all over Votary and other posters who questioned the numbers being cited from the U, but I have to admit that I can now see where they were coming from. There is simply no way to do a great job estimating this stuff. We're all dependent on 2nd hand info from the U that seems to change based on who you're talking to (i.e. ticket office phone folks versus Maturi). I think we'll sell out no prob, but I also think that folks within the first 1,500+ spots on the waitlist will get seats without issue.

The ticket office began telling us last September/October that TCF was already sold out. It didn't take a math major to see our crowds of 40,000 in the Dome last season and realize that there was no way a 51,000 seat stadium was already sold out. It seemed to be self-defeating for them to make the claim that TCF was sold out, thereby possibly discouraging some from getting on the waiting list.

I still think most, if not all, people on the waiting list will get an opportunity to buy tickets. But I agree that when all is said and done, you'll probably need to be a season ticketholder to get in.

Keep in mind most of those 40,000-45,000 crowds I'm guessing included only around 5,000 student season ticket holders (if that). Add another 5,000 students to that total and you are at 50,000 (or very close to it).

koopco1, you're right, last year's student section was smaller than before. But using last year's low of 40,500 against IU and adding 5,000 more in students still leaves it well short of TCF's capacity. And that IU attendance certainly included a couple thousand in single game tickets.

Assuming the athletic department is keeping about 2,000 tickets for its own use, it will take public season ticket sales to hit about 35,000 to fully sell out TCF. With season tickets currently at 29,100, there should be plenty of seats left for the waiting list. It would be interesting to hear how many of the current 29,100 chose not to withstand the elements and didn't renew.

From what I gather from multiple sources, its pretty much accepted that about half of the people on the waiting list are almost guaranteed seats. The remaining half of the list is very iffy at best. Based on the remaining tickets and that people are selecting through this week and possibly early next, that sounds reasonable to me.

Assuming the athletic department is keeping about 2,000 tickets for its own use, it will take public season ticket sales to hit about 35,000 to fully sell out TCF. With season tickets currently at 29,100, there should be plenty of seats left for the waiting list. It would be interesting to hear how many of the current 29,100 chose not to withstand the elements and didn't renew.

The point of the thread is that the Strib missed the story.

29,000 Season Tickets
10,000 Students
5,000 Waitlist (as of when the article was printed)
3,000 Enemies
2,000 Internal Use
1,500 Outdoor Club
________

.... This is the number the Strib should have focused on. It was looking like it would be a sellout, and probably the reason why the U gave an interview on the topic. They wanted to demonstrate that if you want to ever see a game you better get your ass on the waitlist right away. But then the Strib got confused with the numbers and totoally missed the story. :rolleyes:It happens all the time. The result is, they made it look like there are going to be 11,000 single-game tickets available every week.

Check your math, Goldmember. Also, you seem to be assuming that all of the outdoor club ticket buyers are new to season tickets. I would assume most of them are coming from the 29,100 of last year's season ticket holders.

The point of the thread is that the Strib missed the story.

29,000 Season Tickets
10,000 Students
5,000 Waitlist (as of when the article was printed)
3,000 Enemies
2,000 Internal Use
1,500 Outdoor Club
________
You are off by 5K GM.
Also, you seem to be assuming that all of the outdoor club ticket buyers are new to season tickets. I would assume most of them are coming from the 29,100 of last year's season ticket holders.
And this is where the estimating game gets all messy. How many of these folks are existing ticket holders? How many are business owners? Corporations? New ticket holders? No one knows. I guess that's the fun of message boards. :)

From what I gather from multiple sources, its pretty much accepted that about half of the people on the waiting list are almost guaranteed seats. The remaining half of the list is very iffy at best. Based on the remaining tickets and that people are selecting through this week and possibly early next, that sounds reasonable to me.

I hope your source isn't the ticket office. Remember, they were trying to get us to believe TCF was completely sold out eight months ago.

Also, you seem to be assuming that all of the outdoor club ticket buyers are new to season tickets. I would assume most of them are coming from the 29,100 of last year's season ticket holders.

This is an interesting question and I don't know what the numbers will turn out to be, but I asked this precise question when I toured last winter and was told that many of the premium seat buyers were keeping the same number of "regular" tickets and adding premium seats. This was prior to seat selection and the U had no idea how many of those people would follow through and keep both, but it would seem to be a good hedge if you were unsure whether you wanted to commit long term to the premium seats, just wanted to live the high life for the first year or two, etc.

Check your math, Goldmember. Also, you seem to be assuming that all of the outdoor club ticket buyers are new to season tickets. I would assume most of them are coming from the 29,100 of last year's season ticket holders.

:eek: Yeah, I meant to type 50,500. Which is about the capacity of the stadium.

Given the steep cost of the club level vs. what these people paid for tickets at the dome, I would guess there is not a huge overlap. It is just that... a guess. But even if the club level consists of100% of former season ticket holders, there should be realtively few tickets left. Maybe none since the waiting list has probably grown and will continue to grow. Yet, no one in the media is even mentioning the possability of a selleout, even though it seems likely to many of us. The Strib was clearly being fed the story and they somehow arrived at 40,000 season tickets.

Now I will change that "5" to "0" above :eek:

Top Bottom