Updated roster and jersey numbers

Very cool. Some notable number changes that I noticed (sure there are others that didn't jump out at me)

#0 JalenGlaze
#1 Trill Carter
#2 Gage Keys
#3 Austin Booker
I know defensive lineman have started wearing lower numbers but are there a lot of DL players out there wearing 1,2,3?
#5 Dylan Wright
#5 Justin Walley
#20 Beanie Bishop
#22 Ryan Stapp
#76 Chuck Filiaga
#90 Darnell Jeffries
#99 Lorenza Surgers

No Chris Smith or Quinn Carroll listed but assume that is based on official enrollment at the school or something like that.

No Chris Smith or Quinn Carroll listed but assume that is based on official enrollment at the school or something like that.

Carroll doesn't come in until the summer. He won't be with Gophers for spring ball.

Not sure on Smith. He was listed as #94 on an earlier roster.

Pretty sure that is a different Chris Smith

Also not to be confused with Christopher Smith - the Peacemaker :)
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's no evidence that shows that they're NOT the same person ...

Noticed Clay Geary is coming back, and they've added a new eligibility section to player bios:

View attachment 17691
This is the type of Gopher football player you'd want to have a breakout game or two. It will be a heartwarming story about a PWO local kid who stuck it out and contributed to the team although not always in in-game situations.

Lonenoa Faoa - Somebody better give this kid a consonant. Now that Daniel Fa'alele is graduating, we need to recruit more Polynesians.

Pretty sure that is a different Chris Smith

Also not to be confused with Christopher Smith - the Peacemaker :)

I suppose the 1999 Gopher football roster at the top should have been an indication. My bad.

Lonenoa Faoa - Somebody better give this kid a consonant. Now that Daniel Fa'alele is graduating, we need to recruit more Polynesians.
Not even the team standard! Tied at 7 vowels with the Kaliakmanis brothers and one behind AIREONTAE ERSERY (8).

What's the deal with Jordan Howden at WR? Must be an error.

Sam Pickerign, deep into grad school I assume, is no longer a backup QB. Moved him to TE. Just 4 QBs on the roster—5 when Knuth gets here.

Sam Pickerign, deep into grad school I assume, is no longer a backup QB. Moved him to TE. Just 4 QBs on the roster—5 when Knuth gets here.
Don't they need extra QBs in practice?

Should we carry 8 if they chose to be there? 10?
The only number that really matters is how many are on scholarship. For 2022 it looks like that would be 4 (Morgan, Kramer, Athan, and Knuth).

5-6 QB's on the roster would seem like the ideal setup with 4 of them on scholarship. Top 2 or 3 running with the offense, other 2-3 running the scout teams for the defense. Anything beyond that would mean a player being listed at QB but probably playing something else for the scout team. Best case scenario is having one of the walk-ons or backups be a pretty good athlete to help simulate a more mobile QB. Otherwise you are stuck putting a WR or RB under center for the scout team in order to give the D a more accurate look.

Should we carry 8 if they chose to be there? 10?
Didn't Mason recruit six QB's in one class???? IIRC, some moved to other positions and most if not all transferred out at some point which was pretty common for Mase's classes.

Didn't Mason recruit six QB's in one class???? IIRC, some moved to other positions and most if not all transferred out at some point which was pretty common for Mase's classes.
It was at least 5, it might have been 6.

This is the type of Gopher football player you'd want to have a breakout game or two. It will be a heartwarming story about a PWO local kid who stuck it out and contributed to the team although not always in in-game situations.
Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

Clay Geary: Last of the Empire Class.
That has to be the best class in my life time by a mile. Almost everyone was a contributor. The JuCo guys certainly served their purpose (McCrary, Jackson, Calhoun, and Greene), a number of NFL guys (Winfield, Johnson, Martin, Coughlin, K. Thomas) and another group potentially coming. Even the guys who clearly won't play in the NFL, many of them were awesome for us (Durr (if he doesn't play next level, Barber, Howard, Schlueter, Olson).

Kudos to Fleck to be able to backfill the talent from that class. It's not an easy thing to do at a program like MN.

That has to be the best class in my life time by a mile. Almost everyone was a contributor. The JuCo guys certainly served their purpose (McCrary, Jackson, Calhoun, and Greene), a number of NFL guys (Winfield, Johnson, Martin, Coughlin, K. Thomas) and another group potentially coming. Even the guys who clearly won't play in the NFL, many of them were awesome for us (Durr (if he doesn't play next level, Barber, Howard, Schlueter, Olson).

Kudos to Fleck to be able to backfill the talent from that class. It's not an easy thing to do at a program like MN.
Whether or not it was the best class overall here compared to others is tough to say but without a doubt it had to be one of the greatest in state classes of all-time for the state of Minnesota. It was a really deep year for Minnesota Football, I mean when Connor Olson is the #11 guy....

Whether or not it was the best class overall here compared to others is tough to say but without a doubt it had to be one of the greatest in state classes of all-time for the state of Minnesota. It was a really deep year for Minnesota Football, I mean when Connor Olson is the #11 guy....

Even with how good the Gophers class was, look at some of the other players on that list that went elsewhere.

JD Spielman
Amani Hooker was a 4th round pick of the Titans
Chiaokhiao-Bowman was the leading receiver on the NW team that won the west
Tommy Doyle was a 5th round pick by the Bills
Dillon Radunz way down the list at 28th was a 2nd round pick by the Titans

Even with how good the Gophers class was, look at some of the other players on that list that went elsewhere.

JD Spielman
Wild to have that scale of MN talent in one class.

JD Spielman
Heck, Seth Green was essentially an in-state kid as well. Just an incredibly deep and talented in-state class that year. It is a real shame that doesn't happen around here more often for football.

The really crazy part is you look at 2015 and 2017 in terms of in-state recruits and it is just a black hole with only a couple notable names (Andries, Mafe.....). That 2016 group is a massive outlier for the state of Minnesota when it comes to football.

Heck, Seth Green was essentially an in-state kid as well. Just an incredibly deep and talented in-state class that year. It is a real shame that doesn't happen around here more often for football.

The really crazy part is you look at 2015 and 2017 in terms of in-state recruits and it is just a black hole with only a couple notable names (Andries, Mafe.....). That 2016 group is a massive outlier for the state of Minnesota when it comes to football.
2017 isn't horrible. There will be two players picked in the first two rounds of the draft (Johnson and Mafe). It's a bit top heavy with these two but a few other guys who will probably get a shot.

Noah Gindorff was projected to be picked in this draft before getting hurt, he likely gets drafted in 2023. Andries has a legit chance to play in the NFL and I've seen Eric Wilson's name floated around too.

Top Bottom