Updated Player Ratings.

according to Ryan Burns, Perich is now the 2nd-highest rated Gopher recruit in the "ratings" era with a 96. he moved past Carter Coughlin into 2nd place behind......Jeff Jones.

Perich also got bumped to #72 Nationally.

for fans with short memories, Jeff Jones from Minneapolis Washburn was the #60 overall recruit in the country in 2014. His Gopher career: red-shirted in 2014 due to being academically ineligible.
moved from RB to WR and then DB. appeared in a few games on special teams. transferred to Iowa Western Community College. Kicked off Iowa Western for violation of team rules. since then, multiple arrests on charges including assault, drug possession and firearms violations.

hopefully Perich has a more success career with the Gophers........

So, I think the Gophers moved up to #37 from #39 in the 247 football team rankings.
Nebraska is #18, Wisconsin is #22, Purdue is #30 and Iowa is #31.
It would be nice if we could get to a point where we are ahead of those teams consistently or in the Top 25.
Probably, need another good season wins and losses to stay relevant enough to even remain in the 30's.

So, I think the Gophers moved up to #37 from #39 in the 247 football team rankings.
It would be nice if we could get to a point where we are ahead of those teams consistently or in the Top 25.
Purdue has 40 recruits, almost turning over half the team in a year! Crazy how many recruits some teams are pulling in now that the only requirement is that you are down to 85 scholarships by the fall

according to Ryan Burns, Perich is now the 2nd-highest rated Gopher recruit in the "ratings" era with a 96. he moved past Carter Coughlin into 2nd place behind......Jeff Jones.

for fans with short memories, Jeff Jones from Minneapolis Washburn was the #60 overall recruit in the country in 2014. His Gopher career: red-shirted in 2014 due to being academically ineligible.
moved from RB to WR and then DB. appeared in a few games on special teams. transferred to Iowa Western Community College. Kicked off Iowa Western for violation of team rules. since then, multiple arrests on charges including assault, drug possession and firearms violations.

Looks like he is still 3rd behind Coughlin and Jones?

Purdue has 40 recruits, almost turning over half the team in a year! Crazy how many recruits some teams are pulling in now that the only requirement is that you are down to 85 scholarships by the fall
ya, I didn't look....40 recruits and the system makes it hard not to be ranked high....good point

Looks like he is still 3rd behind Coughlin and Jones?
Yep.

Koi is our second highest rated recruit in the ratings era only if you just look at the 247 ranking, where he has a 96 compared to Carter's 95. If you go by the composite rank, however, Carter is ranked higher with 0.9566 vs Koi's 0.9481.

For reference, Jeff Jones had a 97 rating from 247 and a 0.9712 as his composite ranking.

I like that the three of them play inside.
This imo cannot be stressed enough. Watch any football team, professional or college, playing in the playoffs and you'll notice a huge trend. All of them have beef in the trenches on both sides. I feel like the way we've been recruiting these positions and more importantly developing those guys, we can stay relevant. I like their chances if Bosmer or Drake pan out.

Rivals giving Koi a massive bump in their ratings to 85th nationally. I expect ESPN will also bump him significantly when they release their final ratings. Should be a top 100 composite recruit and rightfully so. I can't believe there are more than 100 HS players better than him in the class.

Rivals giving Koi a massive bump in their ratings to 85th nationally. I expect ESPN will also bump him significantly when they release their final ratings. Should be a top 100 composite recruit and rightfully so. I can't believe there are more than 100 HS players better than him in the class.

Imagine how high they would have bumped him if he signed with Ohio State.

Probably, need another good season wins and losses to stay relevant enough to even remain in the 30's.

In a logical universe, we should be able to out-recruit Purdue and, yes, Iowa. We should aspire to start out-recruiting Wisconsin, although that will be tough as they can still pull nationally in a way we can't. Nebraska is full of delusional NIL money and support so I'm not even going to touch that

Ironically, Jeff was also the offensive MVP of the HS All-American game he played in - Under Armor All-American Bowl IIRC.
His two biggest P5 offers, besides ours, were Michigan and FLA.

I always wondered if he may have benefited from going away to school and being in a new environment. I hope he can find peace in himself/his life at some point, if he hasn’t already.

Last edited:

Team recruiting rankings are garbage. Really not worth giving them more than a passing glace if that.

This imo cannot be stressed enough. Watch any football team, professional or college, playing in the playoffs and you'll notice a huge trend. All of them have beef in the trenches on both sides. I feel like the way we've been recruiting these positions and more importantly developing those guys, we can stay relevant. I like their chances if Bosmer or Drake pan out.
100%. We do a good job in the trenches of getting guys. Hopefully the defense can show some improvement with another year of experience for a number of guys.

Player ratings do not win games - players win games. Ratings are like movie reviews to be taken with a grain of salt. I would take Antoine Winfield Jr over any 5-star recruit in his class. The player makes the star, the star does not make the player. Every rating should come with a disclaimer "current rating does not guarantee future success". Remember "Hoosiers"

Team recruiting rankings are garbage. Really not worth giving them more than a passing glace if that.
Yup. The top ten classes are usually the helmet schools with the most 4 and 5 starts. After that its pretty much a crapshoot.

Is it just me or Nathan Roy got knocked down in his national ranking? If so, maybe it's because he was chosen to participate in the all american game but couldn't go and compete with other top High School players. Our other 3 gophers went and I think all 3 got their rankings improved.
1000017943.jpg

This can be a quantity over quality thing. If Purdue has 40 recruits the Gophers almost for sure will not be ahead of them.

I understand your sentiment but Alabama/Georgia (or Ohio State and Michigan in the Big Ten) consistently finish with top classes and it shows on the playing field too.

I understand your sentiment but Alabama/Georgia (or Ohio State and Michigan in the Big Ten) consistently finish with top classes and it shows on the playing field too.
Obviously some teams are bringing in more talent then others but the idea of ranking the classes from 1-whatever is pointless. There is a difference between the elite 4*-5* prospects and the rest but once you get beyond those top guys the differences between the players are very subjective.

We clearly don't have a top 20 class in terms of talent on paper but once you get beyond the top schools it is next to impossible to say right now with any certainty that one class is better than another. And in this current transfer portal era, with the way players move around, a lot of these guys will never take a snap for the team they committed to anyway.

Is it just me or Nathan Roy got knocked down in his national ranking? If so, maybe it's because he was chosen to participate in the all american game but couldn't go and compete with other top High School players. Our other 3 gophers went and I think all 3 got their rankings improved.
View attachment 29750
I thought you were going to ask if he was the kid of one of the Hanson brothers.

Last edited:

I follow these rankings pretty routinely because I find them interesting and have a few observations based on my recent memory, but I could be wrong so please feel free to correct me:

1) This is the second time that we have ever had four recruits - Perich, Roy, Sunram, Carroll - ranked 90 or better according to 247 so, not only is Koi a great catch, but PJ is also getting better quality overall, not just one player. We also have three players ranked 89 according to 247, so one point below 4-stars. That's seven high 3 or better players. The only other time we did that in recent history was 2021.

2) Our average player ranking is 87.52. We are usually in the high 85's and low 86's so this is about 1 point higher than average. The only other time we were over 87 was again in 2021 when our average ranking was 87.54.

3) Our average player rating of 87.52 puts us 10th out of 18 teams in the B1G, but basically tied with Iowa (they are 9th). Again, this is pretty good for us historically speaking.

I know one point might not be a lot, but at least it does suggest a trend in the right direction if PJ can line a few of these up in a row.

ya, I didn't look....40 recruits and the system makes it hard not to be ranked high....good point
Might rank high in recruiting, but can’t imagine it’s a good plan for winning games.

Not saying you are wrong but I don’t recall Jones switching positions.

I follow these rankings pretty routinely because I find them interesting and have a few observations based on my recent memory, but I could be wrong so please feel free to correct me:

1) This is the second time that we have ever had four recruits - Perich, Roy, Sunram, Carroll - ranked 90 or better according to 247 so, not only is Koi a great catch, but PJ is also getting better quality overall, not just one player. We also have three players ranked 89 according to 247, so one point below 4-stars. That's seven high 3 or better players. The only other time we did that in recent history was 2021.

2) Our average player ranking is 87.52. We are usually in the high 85's and low 86's so this is about 1 point higher than average. The only other time we were over 87 was again in 2021 when our average ranking was 87.54.

3) Our average player rating of 87.52 puts us 10th out of 18 teams in the B1G, but basically tied with Iowa (they are 9th). Again, this is pretty good for us historically speaking.

I know one point might not be a lot, but at least it does suggest a trend in the right direction if PJ can line a few of these up in a row.
Good points

I found that in an old article from - I think - The Daily Gopher or maybe Minnesota Daily. considering that his actual game time was limited - he only appeared in 3 games and accumulated no statistics - the 'position switch' would have been in practice only. but the article definitely said that he changed positions. I guess it's a moot point.

I think it's accurate...his entire time as a Gopher was confusing. Very hard to separate Jerry disciplining him or teaching him life lessons from the wonder of, Is he hurt? He didn't see the field much. And when he did .... he didn't look like a high recruit.
Unquestionably he had talent...just never showed it as a Gopher.

Sa

Sad story on Jones. He was in an encampment in Minneapolis last I heard. Full addict.

Top Bottom