Updated Big Ten Projection (Post NBA Draft Decisions)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
1 Spartacular
2 Purdue Pete
3 Bucky
4 Chief Illiniwek
5 Testudo Turtles
6 Go Cats
7 Brutus
8 Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Siers
9 The RAC U
10 Herky (In Heaven There Is No Beer)
11 Herbie Husker
12 Go Blue
13 Mount Nittanys
14 Goldy

Well, just for fun..
1. Purdue
2. Michigan St
3. Indiana
4. Illinois
5. Ohio St
6. Nebraska
7. Wisconsin
8. Northwestern
9. Maryland
10. Rutgers
11. Penn State
12. Iowa
13. Michigan
14 Minnesota
Very confident in one of my slots. :) I won't say which one so I got 14 chances :)
And I'm not ready to bet on any of my non existent research either.

1. MSU
2. Purdue
3. Maryland
4. Northwestern
5. Wisconsin
6. Illinois
7. Ohio State
8. Indiana
9. Rutgers
10. Nebraska
11. Penn State
12. Iowa
13. Michigan
14. Minnesota

Earlier in the day I have a bit more restraint, I think. Mom always used to say if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all. :)
Mom was right. She probably also told you to keep an optimistic view about Gopher sports- don't let your hobby darken your day. :)

Mom was right. She probably also told you to keep an optimistic view about Gopher sports- don't let your hobby darken your day. :)
Mom was an optimist but she did say: "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken feathers."

Mom was an optimist but she did say: "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken feathers."
We've got the chickens. Just need the right cooking.

We've got the chickens. Just need the right cooking.
I hope you are correct. But the 8 spot is likely going to require 10 wins. (Ben does have two more chances than the other coaches, but still) Richard did it once at 11 wins, Tubby got to 9 wins twice and Monson got to 10 wins once in the last 26 years. ALL, the other chefs have older, plus, more and better chickens to begin the cookoff. This is not one of our top 20 best rosters in the last 26 years we are cooking with.

I hope you are correct. But the 8 spot is likely going to require 10 wins. (Ben does have two more chances than the other coaches, but still) Richard did it once at 11 wins, Tubby got to 9 wins twice and Monson got to 10 wins once in the last 26 years. ALL, the other chefs have older, plus, more and better chickens to begin the cookoff. This is not one of our top 20 best rosters in the last 26 years we are cooking with.
I disagree. I would say this roster sits right at average for the last 26 years. You may have forgotten some of the rosters we have had. Ben's first 2. Monson had 3-4 doozies. Tubby had a couple. Pitino had 3-4.

I expect major improvement out of last year's three frosh. You have a top 4 in the Big Ten forward/center duo in Garcia and Payne. Are the guards good enough? We'll see. Is the coach better at his craft- we'll see.

I have not been a CBJ bobo. It was a terrible hire and a shame that they put a rookie in this position. I think he is a good guy and has good potential. Reality is that he gets fired if he is 7 wins or less and continuing the coaching merry go round here is bad for the program. I hope he can take what we have, turn them into a really good defensive team and be competitive. The 3 point shooting in Hawkins, Carrington, Christie, Betts and Mitchell is definitely there with any of them capable of draining it at a 35-40% clip.

Will I bet on my pick? No way. Would I bet that we will be last? No way. Too much talent here for that.

1. MSU
2. Purdue
3. Illinois
4. Northwestern
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State
7. Nebraska
8. Maryland
9. Indiana
10. Iowa
11. Rutgers
12. Penn State
13. Michigan
14. Minnesota

1.Purdue
2.MSU
3.Illinois
4.Maryland
5.OSU
6.Indiana
7.OSU
8.Minnesota
9.Wisconsin
10.Rutgers
11.Nebraska
12.Iowa
13.Michigan
14.PSU

Are you basing this on us being more talented than the teams below us or better coaching? Because every team below has a better coach IMO, and outside maybe Michigan, every team below us has better talent. I'm all for optimism, but this is pretty extreme.

Are you basing this on us being more talented than the teams below us or better coaching? Because every team below has a better coach IMO, and outside maybe Michigan, every team below us has better talent. I'm all for optimism, but this is pretty extreme.
It is a high guess that is for sure. I don't think we will be last place. I am being optimistic. I feel like he has the right balance put together and I think we have a really good front duo with guards that can shoot. This is what Ben needs to do and what the program needs from him in order to avoid another trip into the abyss. I am hoping it happens and while the odds are not with me on this, I believe it is possible with this roster. I would really like to see one more wing.

It is a high guess that is for sure. I don't think we will be last place. I am being optimistic. I feel like he has the right balance put together and I think we have a really good front duo with guards that can shoot. This is what Ben needs to do and what the program needs from him in order to avoid another trip into the abyss. I am hoping it happens and while the odds are not with me on this, I believe it is possible with this roster. I would really like to see one more wing.

Yeah, I would agree roster balance should be better this year, but only because it was so bad last year. I do think we'll be improved, but finishing top 8 would likely put us as a top 40 team in the country, which I just can't see. I think best case is probably a fight to get to the NIT. Maybe that was part of the reason for the pathetic OOC SOS, to get 10/11 wins OOC and try and get like 6 to get above .500 for the NIT.

Yeah, I would agree roster balance should be better this year, but only because it was so bad last year. I do think we'll be improved, but finishing top 8 would likely put us as a top 40 team in the country, which I just can't see. I think best case is probably a fight to get to the NIT. Maybe that was part of the reason for the pathetic OOC SOS, to get 10/11 wins OOC and try and get like 6 to get above .500 for the NIT.
Do you think Ben believes he keeps his job at 6 Ws this coming year? I don't.

Going to go with tiers.

Tier 1: Purdue and MSU
Tier 2: Wisconsin, Maryland, Illinois,
Tier 3: Northwestern, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio St
Tier 4: Rutgers, Minnesota, Michigan, penn st, Nebraska.

I don’t really like the big ten this year. Felt like they lost a lot in the portal and didn’t bring much in. I think tiers 1 & 2 make the NCAA. 1 or 2 from tier 3 make it. I don’t love Indiana, they do have 2 good guards and a stud freshman, but rest is underwhelming to me

For the gophers, I think they finish ahead of Michigan and penn st. I think they can finish ahead of Rutgers and Nebraska.

If everything went right, I think the gophers could be a bubble team. What does that look like? Probably means Mitchell and Hawkins don’t take a step back considering they’re moving up. Payne improves (fewer TOs and better FT%), JOJ improves (better rebounding, FT% and fewer defensive lapses) Carrington improves (healthy and shoot it like he did the last 5 games), Betts and Christie need to be somewhere between Payne and Carrington as freshmen. Minnesota really needs a 2/3 still but options are slim at this point.

I thought he should have been fired after last season. I don't think he believes he will keep his job with league wins, and he shouldn't. I think getting off to a good start OOC, which wouldn't have happened if we played in Vegas, will prevent him from getting fired mid-season though.

If he actually makes post season and goes on a run (even in the NIT), I would be shocked if he was fired, regardless of his conference win totals.

What Ben believes and what Ben is capable of actually accomplishing are two different things.

In order for the Gophers to finish 8th, they will likely have to be at least 8 games better in the B1G than they were last season, and Ben has only won 6 B1G regular season games total. And one of those Battle single handedly won himself last season.

Now Battle's gone and we brought in a couple of mid to low level transfer guards and an offensive lineman and we're going to nearly double the win total of the last two seasons combined? Zero chance, but thanks for the laugh.

I thought he should have been fired after last season. I don't think he believes he will keep his job with league wins, and he shouldn't. I think getting off to a good start OOC, which wouldn't have happened if we played in Vegas, will prevent him from getting fired mid-season though.
He should not keep his job with 6 league wins and I think he believes we will do better.

Going to go with tiers.

Tier 1: Purdue and MSU
Tier 2: Wisconsin, Maryland, Illinois,
Tier 3: Northwestern, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio St
Tier 4: Rutgers, Minnesota, Michigan, penn st, Nebraska.

I don’t really like the big ten this year. Felt like they lost a lot in the portal and didn’t bring much in. I think tiers 1 & 2 make the NCAA. 1 or 2 from tier 3 make it. I don’t love Indiana, they do have 2 good guards and a stud freshman, but rest is underwhelming to me

For the gophers, I think they finish ahead of Michigan and penn st. I think they can finish ahead of Rutgers and Nebraska.

If everything went right, I think the gophers could be a bubble team. What does that look like? Probably means Mitchell and Hawkins don’t take a step back considering they’re moving up. Payne improves (fewer TOs and better FT%), JOJ improves (better rebounding, FT% and fewer defensive lapses) Carrington improves (healthy and shoot it like he did the last 5 games), Betts and Christie need to be somewhere between Payne and Carrington as freshmen. Minnesota really needs a 2/3 still but options are slim at this point.
Not a bad list but I think you maybe selling some teams short.

Penthouse group: Purdue, Sparty and Indiana. I know, I know, people pick Indy all the time but they got some good recruits coming in and a 5* transfer at center.

Will out talent those beneath them: Maryland, Illinois, OSU and dare I say it, Northwestern. The wildcats have just enough coming back to win the guard battle and I think y’all know what happens if your guards suck!

I cannot explain how they do it: Wisconsin and Iowa. God knows I’d like to see them fail but they will some how win in completely opposite ways and continue to annoy.

It ain’t football, but they aren’t going to let the Gophers get by them: Michigan - don’t see how these guys can suck as bad as us.

Stuck in a Rutgers - these guys are going to clearly be better than what’s left to talk about.

No telling how bad/good they will be: Nebraska, Penn Stare and your Golden Gophers. Nebby hit the portal pretty hard and It’s tough to see if Hoiberg can gel the recruits he got into something decent. He didn’t get a Royce White. Penn State - Coloradoan effort in the portal! Tough to say if these pieces will make a good machine. Guess they are betting on coaching these guys up.

Which brings us to the Gophers!
Let’s compare the positions to last year!

PG: better. They now have two guys who can dribble, pass and shoot the three. That’s better right there! Question is how these guys can fair with the B1G bodies they will face.

SG: better. Playing one of the PGs here will help and there’s Carrington part 2 and Christie. So this position appears deep.

SF: worse. Say what you want about Battle being inefficient, he was our second best player. Don’t see anyone you can pencil in to be as offensively productive. Good news is most of the guys who can play here are probably better defenders! This is the biggest question mark.

PF: same. Just hope Garcia stays healthy or this is going to be a shit show position. Decent backups but no one can fill Garcia’s shoes.

C: better? Payne I feel confident in. Will Ben actually start him finally? Last year Bens reluctance to start him made me feel like Ben was so far out to lunch he couldn’t figure out Thanos would eventually lose.
Paper thin backup here in a very thick replacement for TT.

Coaching: ain’t up to snuff. Can he coach? Two years in and I don’t think we know. Let’s hope he does better this year.

All said, I give us a win range between 2 and 6. Hopefully the new coach will be able to retain some of these players.

Penthouse group: Purdue, Sparty and Indiana. I know, I know, people pick Indy all the time but they got some good recruits coming in and a 5* transfer at center.

Will out talent those beneath them: Maryland, Illinois, OSU and dare I say it, Northwestern. The wildcats have just enough coming back to win the guard battle and I think y’all know what happens if your guards suck!

I cannot explain how they do it: Wisconsin and Iowa. God knows I’d like to see them fail but they will some how win in completely opposite ways and continue to annoy.

It ain’t football, but they aren’t going to let the Gophers get by them: Michigan - don’t see how these guys can suck as bad as us.

Stuck in a Rutgers - these guys are going to clearly be better than what’s left to talk about.

No telling how bad/good they will be: Nebraska, Penn Stare and your Golden Gophers. Nebby hit the portal pretty hard and It’s tough to see if Hoiberg can gel the recruits he got into something decent. He didn’t get a Royce White. Penn State - Coloradoan effort in the portal! Tough to say if these pieces will make a good machine. Guess they are betting on coaching these guys up.

PG: better. They now have two guys who can dribble, pass and shoot the three. That’s better right there! Question is how these guys can fair with the B1G bodies they will face.

SG: better. Playing one of the PGs here will help and there’s Carrington part 2 and Christie. So this position appears deep.

SF: worse. Say what you want about Battle being inefficient, he was our second best player. Don’t see anyone you can pencil in to be as offensively productive. Good news is most of the guys who can play here are probably better defenders! This is the biggest question mark.

PF: same. Just hope Garcia stays healthy or this is going to be a shit show position. Decent backups but no one can fill Garcia’s shoes.

C: better? Payne I feel confident in. Will Ben actually start him finally? Last year Bens reluctance to start him made me feel like Ben was so far out to lunch he couldn’t figure out Thanos would eventually lose.

Coaching: ain’t up to snuff. Can he coach? Two years in and I don’t think we know. Let’s hope he does better this year.

All said, I give us a win range between 2 and 6. Hopefully the new coach will be able to retain some of these players.
Thanks Otis. A lot better. Thin at the 5, not 3. Wilson will shock. Don’t know how minutes he can get. But he will be much better than advertised. Still hope Payne (who is over rated here) doesn’t need much bench time. He should be adequate against most teams. We can go small with JOJ and Fox if needed if we are fast enough and can run a killer bees defense.

Last edited:

I am not sold on Indiana. I do like Johnson and Galloway. Their freshman is a stud. The rest of their team doesn’t do much for me. I know they nabbed Ware from Oregon who was a 5*, but he was benched in February. Certainly a lot of potential though.

Do you think Ben feels he might get fired after year three with another last place finish? Or do you think because he's "landed" a couple outstate Minnesotan's and turned instate recruiting around... that Ben feels he is doing his job building a program?
I'm not sure Ben gets fired three years in without a scandal.
The President left...if basketball was a priority he'd already be fired unless the evaluator shares your optimism....and if that's true we might be looking at 4 years.

Last edited:

Do you think Ben feels he might get fired after year three with another last place finish? Or do you think because he's "landed" a couple outstate Minnesotan's and turned instate recruiting around... that Ben feels he is doing his job building a program?
I'm not sure Ben gets fired three years in without a scandal.
The President left...if basketball was a priority he'd already be fired unless the evaluator shares your optimism....and if that's true we might be looking at 4 years.

Top Bottom