Update On Minnesota Linebacker Coach Mike Sherels‏ in Hospital

Unexpected Surgery is what is being reported. From AP:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota linebackers coach Mike Sherels has been absent from fall practice for a health problem.

The university announced Wednesday that Sherels was admitted to an area hospital Tuesday for an unexpected surgery. The Gophers also said he underwent a medical procedure last week, prior to the start of fall practice. No details about his condition were disclosed. Coach Tracy Claeys issued a statement asking for privacy for Sherels and his family.

"Mike is Minnesota football," Claeys said. "There are few things that are more important to him than this university and this football program."

yea, that is just rehashing what was in the u's press release a few days ago which nadine posted here http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...rels‏-in-Hospital&p=1233105#post1233105

My thoughts are with Mike and his family, I hope Coach Claeys has something for us tomorrow, something as simple as he's stable, would be appreciated.

Get better soon Coach Sherels

Very intelligent football player, even though he lacked quickness he always seemed to be in the right locations to make plays. From what I have read a very outgoing family, and strong Gopher supporters. Every time his brother is counted out by Vikings fans he still makes it making all Gopher fans proud.
Here is hoping for the best and thoughts and prayers for Mike Sherels(may the good lord smile on you and your family). Worth a shot saying a few anyways. #Sherels Strong

Very intelligent football player, even though he lacked quickness he always seemed to be in the right locations to make plays. From what I have read a very outgoing family, and strong Gopher supporters. Every time his brother is counted out by Vikings fans he still makes it making all Gopher fans proud.
Here is hoping for the best and thoughts and prayers for Mike Sherels(may the good lord smile on you and your family). Worth a shot saying a few anyways. #Sherels Strong

That's the reason why I loved him as a player. Seemed like he lacked everything except the two most important traits - intelligence and desire

Nice pick against Iowa at the end of the first half![/QUOTE The lack of information is very concerning. He is a class act and an extremely valuable recruiter. I am hoping we get good news soon.

Nothing from Claeys at presser about this?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

STrib: Gophers rallying around assistant coach Mike Sherels

Gophers linebackers coach Mike Sherels has been through multiple surgeries this month and remains hospitalized because of an undisclosed medical condition.

The team and family are keeping details private, while the players press forward, determined to honor their beloved assistant coach.

“I’m just hoping for the best, obviously, for him and his family to get through everything he’s been through,” senior linebacker Nick Rallis said Saturday.

Rallis and fellow senior Jack Lynn have known the 31-year-old Sherels since he held an entry level position on the coaching staff. They saw him work his way into a graduate assistant position before taking over as linebackers coach in 2014.

As a player, Sherels came to the Gophers as a walk-on from Rochester John Marshall and became a two-time captain before graduating in 2007.

“He’s a brother to me,” Lynn said. “Growing up with two sisters, I never had that older brother. That’s what he is to me.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-rallying-around-assistant-coach-mike-sherels/390099751/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Best wishes are welcome for Gophers linebackers coach Mike Sherels who has had multiple hospitalizations and surgeries the last couple weeks including Thursday, according to a source. Sherels, 31, has been visited by Gophers players and is likely to remain hospitalized for awhile.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

That's the reason why I loved him as a player. Seemed like he lacked everything except the two most important traits - intelligence and desire

Mike and Marcus are the definition of guys that are not blessed with the measurables that football people are obsessed with but who are able to make it on heart and desire and the willingness to outwork everyone around them that may be blessed with more natural talent.

The silence about the nature of his condition is certainly troubling. Hoping he makes a full recovery because he is a great guy with a great family. We're all pulling for you coach!

Saw a tweet that Marcus was back at Vikes practice. Hopefully that is a positive sign.

multiple surgeries for an infection?

Yeah. If you get a surgical site infection as part of a "routine" surgery things can go south in a damn hurry.

Yeah. If you get a surgical site infection as part of a "routine" surgery things can go south in a damn hurry.

Very sadly enough, experience says that's true. Pray that Mr.Sherels comes out well regardless of what he's dealing with.

Nothing has been released.

Please hold back on the speculation and respect the privacy of the family.

multiple surgeries for an infection?

If you get a surgical infection, they have to go in and clean out the surgical site - maybe remove infected tissue or just irrigate it/do local antibiotics. If he was having surgery on like a ligament where something where they were putting a foreign object in his body, they might have had to remove it. I went to college with a guy who was almost killed by Methodist from a knee surgery. He got a bad cadaver part and got a bad infection.

Second what UU stated. There's a reason nothing has been released and probably better to stick away from speculating on it

Health issues are personal. It's none of our business unless he wants it to be. Speculating and starting rumors doesn't help anything. Offering your thoughts and prayers does. If the info becomes available later it should be because he or his family wanted it released. Until then, I'll be keeping Mike and his family in my thoughts.

The important thing is, he's well enough to have visitors, that's a positive sign. What I would like to hear is that he's stable and how long he'll be out. So far we have indications from Coach Claeys that it might be a lenghty recovery.I do realize that that might not have a prognosis yet.

Nothing has been released.

Please hold back on the speculation and respect the privacy of the family.

I agree with you, but based on his past exposure as a student-athlete and a current Big Ten coach if the family doesn't release anything through the press or even a caring bridge speculation will eventually begin.

Bottom line, if I am in the hospital, there will not be talk about me on the radio and threads about me on internet message boards. It is a good thing, Mike has a lot of fans and a lot of people pulling for him. The family has to do what is right for them and they clearly want it to be completely private, but understand rumors will start shortly. When I log on to gopherhole this is the first thread I check to see if there is an update or something new.

I agree with you, but based on his past exposure as a student-athlete and a current Big Ten coach if the family doesn't release anything through the press or even a caring bridge speculation will eventually begin.

Bottom line, if I am in the hospital, there will not be talk about me on the radio and threads about me on internet message boards. It is a good thing, Mike has a lot of fans and a lot of people pulling for him. The family has to do what is right for them and they clearly want it to be completely private, but understand rumors will start shortly. When I log on to gopherhole this is the first thread I check to see if there is an update or something new.

Which is why it's incredibly important to not speculate because if we do, then misinformation can spread. I mean obviously it is what it is, but speculating on the cause does nothing. I understand rumors are rumors, but best to just keep mum on the cause unless you have an actual idea of what is going on.

Just reading about infections going south (no speculation on Coach Sherels). I have a colleague whose brother had an infection in his leg and didn't get it checked out right away. The infection became internal gangrene and emergency surgeries took place to stop the spread. He's looking at months of rehab and skin graphs before he can get back to normal. For awhile his life was in the balance.
I am not saying Coach Sherels is dealing with something like this. I'm just adding to the earlier conversation on the dangers of infections.

Top Bottom