University of South Carolina Women's Basketball. Quietest Undefeated Season Ever?

How does a team go 38-0, and win the national title, yet hardly get talked about? I (somewhat) get the Caitlin Clark love affair, but going 38-0 has to also be generational as well. Right?

Okay, I was somewhat wrong.Where do Gamecocks rank among undefeated D-I champions?

Still pretty remarkable. And hardly a peep.
Too good a team without the marketable star power that other teams have. In a decade when they have a pile of their alumnae in the media, they’ll get the attention of UConn.

South Carolina being undefeated or near-undefeated isn't really news, it's standard.

The new UConn.

I think people expected it and they don't draw attention to themselves. We're also a four-hour drive from Iowa City here in the Midwest and play in their conference, so things are a bit skewed for us.

They also didn't have Caitlin Clark on their team who has National Endorsements.

I think people expected it and they don't draw attention to themselves. We're also a four-hour drive from Iowa City here in the Midwest and play in their conference, so things are a bit skewed for us.

They also didn't have Caitlin Clark on their team who has National Endorsements.
I bet we will hear tons about Mylasia Fulwiley next season

Yeah, seems like Clark and Reese from LSU drew all the headlines while South Carolina just took care of business.

Part it of might be Dawn Staley is an acquired taste...she says some polarizing stuff.
"Clark is not the GOAT unless she wins a national title" and many other comments that are not generally the type of things that endear the majority.

It's all relative. It was quiet compared to other stories this year. For a typical WBB team, it is probably more well known. There was almost a Tiger Woods effect to WBB this season and while South Carolina might have been outshined by Clark's massive spotlight, there was a massive spotlight on the sport.

The sport needed this. They needed people to hate some teams, love other teams, argue about Paige vs. Clark. That's the fun in sports. Before Tiger, I didn't have golfers I loved or hated - they were all just golfers.

So yeah, it was quiet compared to Clark. However, for the casual fan, it was probably the most celebrated undefeated women's team ever. My dad knows this South Carolina team was undefeated, if I asked him when was the last undefeated women's team (or the last great one), he might bring up something about Cheryl Miller.

Yep. They had a pretty quiet undefeated run, which works for South Carolina and Coach Staley. Looking forward to seeing what develops next season for them

Could be the way American society sees things these days. Seems like since the days of Magic and Bird, we tend to celebrate and promote the individual more than the team. It's like individual accomplishments and failures are far more interesting to us as a society than team or group accomplishments and failures.

Not just in sports, but in business. We point out the individual Employee of the Year as opposed to the Department of the Year.

Last edited:

Could be the way American society sees things these days. Seems like since the days of Magic and Bird, we tend to celebrate the promote the individual more than the team. It's like individual accomplishments and failures are far more interesting to us as a society than team or group accomplishments and failures.
Don’t forget the coaches

Don’t forget the coaches
Yeah, in terms of how the general public views the overall product. But I will say that most coaches I know, in their day-to-day focus, are putting their attention into team as opposed to individual. I think that when they start talking about indidual players, it's more than likely they were prompted to do so by an outside question.

Not sure if that was what you were thinking or not.

Top Bottom