University of Minnesota President's job?

Academic powerhouses Cleveland State and New Mexico. We're in good hands.
I don't envy this job. U being close to Cedar Riverside is only going to get more and more trouble as more and more troubled kids becoming teenagers and punishing them is not PC. If I had a kid entering college the U wouldnt be as appealing as when I went. This on top of the investment of 4 year college getting tougher and tougher to sell everywhere.

The third is the research VP for Michigan.

That is who I hope they go with.

Believe it or not, research, not athletics, is and has to be the number one priority of the U.
Agree, but when just one of the final three candidates comes from a university we would aspire to be, that doesn’t lend a great deal of confidence to the process or what people think of the job.

Agree, but when just one of the final three candidates comes from a university we would aspire to be, that doesn’t lend a great deal of confidence to the process or what people think of the job.
It's possible that one is already the head of the pack but the Regents just want it to appear like it wasn't already a done deal and were giving fair consideration others? Made that up, just spitballin

bump - we have the 3 finalists for U of MN President. from the Strib:

University of Minnesota regents on Friday narrowed their president search down to three candidates, marking the first time in years that U leaders have named multiples finalists for the U's top job.

Remaining in contention are:
Laura Bloomberg, the president of Cleveland State University and former dean of the U's Humphrey School of Public Affairs;
Rebecca Cunningham, vice president for research and innovation at the University of Michigan; and James Holloway, provost and executive vice president of academic affairs at the University of New Mexico.

The position drew 46 candidates, a decrease compared to other hiring efforts. The search that led to Gabel's selection in 2018 drew about 60 applicants, and the search that led to Eric Kaler's selection in 2010 attracted almost 150 candidates.

To help winnow down the field, regents appointed a 24-member search advisory committee that included students, employees and alumni, among others.

Davenport said the committee reviewed materials from each applicant and invited 13 of them to interview. One dropped out. The remaining 12 came to town for in-person interviews at a hotel, she said. Then, she said the committee voted unanimously to recommend four candidates to the Board of Regents for further consideration.

I know almost nothing about this subject so here comes a bad take. And anonymous posting at GopherHole has zero influence. Quick first-impressions about each.

Laura Bloomberg satisfies a left-leaning, global view. She was a dean at Humphrey School of Public Affairs. BUT I don't see she's aligned hard to either side. She's been coauthor of a couple books about public values inclusiveness that is NOT limited to just one side or the other.

I dislike people who say they are for "inclusive" but only for people on the far left. A terrific example is that women are across the full political spectrum, yet we keep hearing women's values as only that of the far-left segment. And "inclusiveness" sometimes is relentless distorted, badmouthing, bashing, half-truth bigotry against people with faith values whatever those may be. (Everyone is free to choose the views or not choose, is my view there). Inclusiveness is inclusiveness, check the dictionary.

OK, I'm off my soap box, nothing to do with Bloomberg.

This was an initiative of Bloomberg at Cleveland State:

"Our new division is designed mainly around the growing body of research linking a college student’s sense of identity and belonging to their academic success and timely graduation," said CSU President Dr. Laura J. Bloomberg. "Specifically, there is mounting evidence, particularly post-pandemic, that a student’s sense of attachment to sub-groups of fellow students within a larger university is an essential prerequisite to academic success, effective professional skill attainment and development of personal and interpersonal agency as young adults."

This is particularly true — and perhaps particularly challenging — on a campus like CSU's where many students live on campus, and a larger group of students commutes to campus and often struggles to build connections with collegiate peers outside of their classes. Realigning critical programs under this new division will enable CSU to focus more effectively and efficiently on cohort-based support for all students.

The Division of Student Belonging and Success will include the following existing programs:

• Campus Engagement
  • CARE Management
  • Career Development and Exploration
  • Community Standards and Advocacy
  • Counseling Center
  • Dean of Students Office
  • Disability and Testing Services
  • Graduation Success Coaching
  • Health and Wellness Services
  • Inclusion and Multicultural Engagement
  • LGBTQ+ Student Services
  • Lift Up Vikes! Resource Center and Food Pantry
  • LINK Program
  • Living Learning Communities
  • The Mareyjoyce Green Women's Center
  • The Pratt Center
  • Summer @ CSU
  • Sullivan-Deckard Scholarship Program
  • TRIO/SSS
  • Veteran and Military Success Center"

----------------------------------------

Laura Cunningham looks like the partisan left choice. Her profile has a gun issue and the hot left buzz phrase "trauma informed" that fuels a bottomless pit of leftist spending. [For the record, I am not on the right.] "Resiliency informed" is what actually works. Choose an employable career skill and be a person of good character. Like playing sports, life means sometimes you've got to be tough and make smart choices, and the playing field should be equal and open to all.

For the record, I would write with a similar tone if the candidate was from right-leaning Liberty University.

----------------------------------

James Holloway looks engaged is science research -- hard science especially -- and pathways to that. That would align with the U being primarily a research institution.

He helped create this:

Top Bottom