UNC WR eligibility denied. Mack Brown lets loose on Statement.

As Minnesota Gopher sports fans, we know exactly how you feel.

Sorry but second transfers should have to sit a year and honestly the NCAA should just make this a blanket rule across the board. You get one free transfer with immediate eligibility and if you want to transfer again you have to sit out a year (obviously this would not apply to grad transfers)

The problem with the NCAA is they are never consistent but in my opinion it should need to be an extreme situation to grant a kid immediate eligibility on a second transfer. Even if this hurts the Gophers in the McDonald situation I have zero issue with the NCAA getting much tougher in this area.

Is he a grad transfer? If not, then what's the issue here?

Is he a grad transfer? If not, then what's the issue here?

I guess he went to NC Central in 2020....and they canceled their season. Walker transferred to Kent State without ever playing a down at NC Central.

Not saying the NCAA ruling is right or wrong....but I think the complaint by UNC is that the transfer from NC Central to Kent State shouldn't count.

They got a letter from the governor in 24 hours? Maybe it sounds callous but it just seems like 99% of this transfer appeal stuff is all self serving. Coaches cite what’s best for the player, their well-being, and family. All I hear is “this kid is gonna help us win games”. Would Brown be talking like this if it was a long snapper or back up OL instead of a star receiver? I don’t know the rules intimately and I get were in a similar situation but this whole saga has come of as so whiny and like they’re trying to bully the NCAA.

I guess he went to NC Central in 2020....and they canceled their season. Walker transferred to Kent State without ever playing a down at NC Central.

Not saying the NCAA ruling is right or wrong....but I think the complaint by UNC is that the transfer from NC Central to Kent State shouldn't count.
I get it I guess but feel like that would be more relevant if he had transferred to Kent St to play in 2020. Unless he thought they were going to cancel the 2021 season too?

The issue is Mack Brown didn't get what he wanted so he is complaining about it.
I guess I would expect the coach to stick up for his players. This statement feels a bit excessive. point could have been made in 2 sentences then move on. NCAA is not going to change their minds anyway.

I guess I would expect the coach to stick up for his players. This statement feels a bit excessive. point could have been made in 2 sentences then move on. NCAA is not going to change their minds anyway.
100%...Brown could have commented that he didn't agree with the decision and then moved on but he is making a way bigger deal out of it because let's face it, he thinks he has a really good team and this guy would have made them even better.

In the yahoo story I read they quote the player. He claims his reason for transferring was to be near his ailing Grandmother.....but then he keeps talking.....and says he thought he would be eligible right away based on when he transferred which makes it sound like he maybe wouldn't have transferred if he thought he would have to sit out.....so how important is your ailing Grandmother than if your decision is tied to being able to play football right away.....

I hope the NCAA sticks to their guns on second transfers and makes it much much harder for guys to gain immediate eligibility after they use up their free transfer.

100%...Brown could have commented that he didn't agree with the decision and then moved on but he is making a way bigger deal out of it because let's face it, he thinks he has a really good team and this guy would have made them even better.

In the yahoo story I read they quote the player. He claims his reason for transferring was to be near his ailing Grandmother.....but then he keeps talking.....and says he thought he would be eligible right away based on when he transferred which makes it sound like he maybe wouldn't have transferred if he thought he would have to sit out.....so how important is your ailing Grandmother than if your decision is tied to being able to play football right away.....

I hope the NCAA sticks to their guns on second transfers and makes it much much harder for guys to gain immediate eligibility after they use up their free transfer.
He will have plenty of time to be with his grandmother while sitting out. That is his stated reason for transferring.

He will have plenty of time to be with his grandmother while sitting out. That is his stated reason for transferring.
Yep....nobody is stopping him from transferring home.....I mean if Grandma is really your top priority than he should be thankful he won't be distracted by football which is a massive time commitment.

edit - to be clear, I am not trying to make light of having a sick family member. But if that is your main reason for the transfer than it shouldn't matter if you can't play right away.

Last edited:

Not looking good for Craig McDonald in 2023 season …

Not looking good for Craig McDonald in 2023 season …
Yep, would seem likely that he is not going to be eligible and as with the UNC receiver I am totally ok with that.

Just want the NCAA to be consistent....will see if that actually happens for a change in regards to these 2nd transfers.

4 yrs of eligibility. The rule should hard and fast. 4 and no more. Go to a different school every year but you get 4 years.

Awww, poor ‘lil UNC didn’t get to bully the NCAA for once. Must be tough being held to actual standards.

I feel a little bad for the kid but UNC will never get any institutional sympathy from me.

Walker has a far stronger case than Craig McD.

Walker's first transfer was from an FCS school that cancelled its season due to covid.

A lot of transfers during or after the covid year were just allowed to happen without any consequences. And then those athletes still got another free transfer.

Is that not exactly what happened with the Gophers big tall guy, whose uncle was the coach? Transferred here from Drake, immediately eligible, uncle gets fired, goes to Vandy, then he goes to Vandy and that was considered his free transfer, not the one from Drake.

All the same, I'm generally fine that the NCAA is cracking down on 2nd transfers. It appears that Walker is being lumped in with that, though in my opinion unfairly.

The problem is the NCAA doesn't follow their own rules. They have a list of exceptions that will allow you to transfer and be eligible.
But, they want to make a point and are turning down everybody.
Fine....change the language then. Everybody has to sit.
In this guy's case there are enough points he should be eligible....the date of his application, his unique situation. The rules as written etc

an organization should only have the rules that it feels are absolutely essential. and those rules should be strictly enforced.

with the NCAA, the rules seem to be constantly changing, or at least being "adjusted." and then the enforcement is slipshod.

and the NCAA put itself in this situation by creating the 'family hardship' loophole to the "one free transfer" rule - and then applying that loophole in a seemingly inconsistent fashion.

the only way to put the genie back in the bottle is to make a hard-and-fast rule. one free transfer is it. if you want to transfer again, you sit out a year no matter what.

Here is my college football idea....

- There are no more redshirts (aside from medical redshirts) - Student-Athletes get 5 years of eligibility.
- All transfers are immediately eligible but you lose one year of eligibility.
- You cannot transfer going into your 5th year unless you are a grad transfer.

the only way to put the genie back in the bottle is to make a hard-and-fast rule. one free transfer is it. if you want to transfer again, you sit out a year no matter what.
This is where I hope we are headed. Can keep the grad transfer exception but if you want to transfer a second time you sit a year if you are not a grad transfer.

This kid is getting caught up in the free for all being reigned in some. Unfortunate for him but as long as the NCAA is actually consistent in their enforcement than it is what it is. On the plus side he has the year to spend with Grandma and he can go play for UNC next year.

i'm glad he will have all this free time to be with his Grandma and work on his NIL deals.

Top Bottom