UNC... What's the big deal?

Dilemina

Displaced Gopher Fan
Reaction score
I don't really care who we play in the non-conference, unless it is a school like notre-dame or USC or something.

UNC doesn't mean much to me at all, and I don't understand why people can get so bent out of shape about changing the schedule.

The only people I feel for, are gopher fans that live around the Carolinas and wanted to see the team.

And maybe losing out on some recruits that live around the area as well.

But as far as a non-conference schedule goes, whether we play UNC or a team from the MAC, Sun belt, WAC, conf-usa, doesn't matter too much to me. It's not like UNC is followed by anybody but UNC fans.

I am not living in MN now. But if I was I would be happy with playing all non-cons at schools from the mac, or possibly big 12, just because of location.

Is the change in the schedule really that big of a deal? How does it affect you personally?

Did you have a trip planned?

I think most fans would have watched that one on tv anyway, so I just don't get the big hullabaloo.

Others thoughts?

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

Edit: oh, sorry if I am coming off as a bit of an a-hole. I just keep reading stories in the paper that mention this like it is a catastrophic thing that is breaking the program. And it is late here 3:00 am. I might be grumpy.

It's not that. The big deal is that we blew away $800,000 to not play them. That is a lot of money to throw away just so that we don't play a team that we may have a chance to beat.

I'd be butt hurt too, but depends on how you look at the situation.

There are a million different threads on this. It is not about UNC it is about paying $800K to get out of a game against a team we should be able to compete with.

FACEPALM.

Where do I begin?

Wait.

How about in the other gazillion threads and gazillion-cubed posts on this topic? Just read any of those contributions and I think you'll have your answers.

It's not that. The big deal is that we blew away $800,000 to not play them. That is a lot of money to throw away just so that we don't play a team that we may have a chance to beat.

I'd be butt hurt too, but depends on how you look at the situation.

I know about the money. But I still don't get why it's upsetting.

There are a million different threads on this. It is not about UNC it is about paying $800K to get out of a game against a team we should be able to compete with.

Any team we play we can compete with. Every game is a competition. At least I think so. And we pay this money now. But from what I heard, we will replace it with a home game and most of that money will be made back with the tickets, parking, concessions and merchandise sold from the extra home game anyway. Plus a game against UNC probably is not played on the BTN. And a game against another school could be, so there is the possible added TV revenue too.

I dunno, I just don't see much, or if any money is lost on this deal, when I look at the big picture.

And I don't see it as fear either.

And I especially don't see how this change in schedule affects many people in a personal matter.

Btw, is it possible that UNC already cut us a check for that game when the schedule was set up?

P.s.
Oh and sorry for creating a thread, that is similar to many others.

I tried to make it different by asking how it personally affects people.
But I got all ranty.

I know about the money. But I still don't get why it's upsetting.

Any team we play we can compete with. Every game is a competition. At least I think so. And we pay this money now. But from what I heard, we will replace it with a home game and most of that money will be made back with the tickets, parking, concessions and merchandise sold from the extra home game anyway. Plus a game against UNC probably is not played on the BTN. And a game against another school could be, so there is the possible added TV revenue too.

I dunno, I just don't see much, or if any money is lost on this deal, when I look at the big picture.

Most rumors out there have said we would play New Mexico St. on the road next year. So we wouldn't have an extra home game.

Btw, is it possible that UNC already cut us a check for that game when the schedule was set up?

For what? I believe there was to be no exchange of money since UNC was supposed to return the favor the following year.

It's not about how many you win or lose, but how many you show up for.

When the U Athletics are trying to fundraise to build practice facilities and stadium upgrades, and then they toss away 800k to not play a game, yes it does rub people the wrong way.

No, but it is possible and more than likely probable, that UNC will take the $800k check and use it to fill their schedule with a 1 and done 7th home game. Bubba Cunningham, UNC's AD, has already said he would pay the opponent with "Minnesota's $".

That was in The Daily Tarheel, Oct. 16th article.

Hey look....Tweedle dee and Tweedle dumb!

resize

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/a-tweedle-dee-dum-hat.html
note spelling

I don't really care who we play in the non-conference, unless it is a school like notre-dame or USC or something.

UNC doesn't mean much to me at all, and I don't understand why people can get so bent out of shape about changing the schedule.

The only people I feel for, are gopher fans that live around the Carolinas and wanted to see the team.

And maybe losing out on some recruits that live around the area as well.

But as far as a non-conference schedule goes, whether we play UNC or a team from the MAC, Sun belt, WAC, conf-usa, doesn't matter too much to me. It's not like UNC is followed by anybody but UNC fans.

I am not living in MN now. But if I was I would be happy with playing all non-cons at schools from the mac, or possibly big 12, just because of location.

Is the change in the schedule really that big of a deal? How does it affect you personally?

Did you have a trip planned?

I think most fans would have watched that one on tv anyway, so I just don't get the big hullabaloo.

Others thoughts?

Edit: oh, sorry if I am coming off as a bit of an a-hole. I just keep reading stories in the paper that mention this like it is a catastrophic thing that is breaking the program. And it is late here 3:00 am. I might be grumpy.

Why start a new thread on this? Isn't there some other smoldering ashes you can throw some gasoline on?

Why would we drop them when they are average?

I understood we'd play NM St @ TCF in place of being on the road @ UNC. I hope we're not going TO NM St? because WTF would you pay to replace a road game @ UNC, with a road game @ NM St (a team that beat us LAST YEAR AT HOME!!!)?

I understood we'd play NM St @ TCF in place of being on the road @ UNC. I hope we're not going TO NM St? because WTF would you pay to replace a road game @ UNC, with a road game @ NM St (a team that beat us LAST YEAR AT HOME!!!)?

+1

We will really have egg on our face if pay $800,000 to get out of one game and then lose to a team on who we scheduled because they are easy win to help get us to a bowl game and we can get guys more experience by playing backups since we will blow them out. And they will be gunning for us, because we made it public that they are on the schedule because they are an easy blowout win.

When the U Athletics are trying to fundraise to build practice facilities and stadium upgrades, and then they toss away 800k to not play a game, yes it does rub people the wrong way.

How much do they make in a home game? So i dont think they are throwing away 800k if they just added a home game instead.

I have no problem playing someone different. I can look back when we got handled by USC and Cal, everyone was pissed off they got asses kicked. So why not win a game instead of losing one.

"when we got handled by USC and Cal, everyone was pissed off they got asses kicked."

Funny, those were among the most entertaining games I've been to. But then that 12-10 win over SDSU was a real humdinger.

How much do they make in a home game? So i dont think they are throwing away 800k if they just added a home game instead.

I have no problem playing someone different. I can look back when we got handled by USC and Cal, everyone was pissed off they got asses kicked. So why not win a game instead of losing one.

I'm still trying to figure out what USC and Cal games you're talking about? I remember playing both of them tough and having a blast in Los Angeles

I'm still trying to figure out what USC and Cal games you're talking about? I remember playing both of them tough and having a blast in Los Angeles

The game at Cal wasn't tough nor close as I recall. I was there and proceeded to party with the cal band and my memory is hazy at best.

The game at Cal wasn't tough nor close as I recall. I was there and proceeded to party with the cal band and my memory is hazy at best.

To be honest I really only recall the hit on decker after he made a great catch. After that, the cal game was more than hazy.

Top Bottom