UNC falls to 14-13, 3-9 in ACC

Right on Bleed...I can hear it now..."This team sucks, the players suck, Coach sucks..."

I hate UNC, but they are really young. They will be back to the NCAA next season, and probably have a national title under their belt 2 seasons from now.

Kansas was really young last year yet they still won the B12 and one could argue that UNC has more heralded recruits than Kansas did last year.

UNC starts 2 seniors and 1 junior and 2 sophomores. That's not that young.

They also have 8 McDonald's All-Americans on scholarship, more than any other school in the country, plus a national championship winning coach.

They also have 6 players that contributed to last year's NC team.

They were ranked 4th in the preseason polls because of all that I listed above.

All of which makes 14-13 embarrassing. They have to win 2 of their final 4 conference games to avoid finishing with a losing record (no NIT). Their remaining games are FSU, at GT, Miami, at Duke. That's not an easy 2 win schedule.

Kansas was really young last year yet they still won the B12 and one could argue that UNC has more heralded recruits than Kansas did last year.

They also have 8 McDonald's All-Americans on scholarship, more than any other school in the country, plus a national championship winning coach.

All of which makes 14-13 embarrassing. They have to win 2 of their final 4 conference games to avoid finishing with a losing record (no NIT). Their remaining games are FSU, at GT, Miami, at Duke. That's not an easy 2 win schedule.

Good post.

Per ACC rules, the last place team in the conference sits out of next year's ACC/BT Challenge. GT finished in last place last year, meaning they didn't participate this year.

Wouldn't that be something if UNC and their 10 projected McDonald AA's next year are forced to sit out?

It's possible. UNC holds the tie-breaker with NC St while the tie-breaker with Miami is still up in the air. 4-12 in the ACC probably means UNC finishes 11th and not 12th as long as NC St doesn't win 2 of their final 3 games.

Still an interesting thought. I wonder if ESPN asks the ACC to change their rule as UNC obviously would play in one of the top 2 matchups in the challenge if they're eligible.

It just breaks my heart to see poor old coach Williams put in a position to have to deal with losing. I lay awake at night worrying about him and his team. Just tragic, I tell you, just tragic.

At least we won't have to see "Ole Roy" crying during the press conference after a 2nd round defeat in this year's tournament.

An example where recruiting and recruits dont always pan out, plus, I have heard RW is a dink anyway, but have no personal experience with him.

I would assume NC would turn down a bid for the NIT anyway...

Kansas did bring Collins back, a good pg can take you a long ways. UNC is finding that out the hard way.

Top Bottom