UCLA moving student section behind opposing team sideline… (kinda)

Very strange decision, why not just use one more section in the EZ? I mean what could possibly go wrong putting drunk students right behind the opposing teams bench.....seems like a great plan.

Or maybe.....I mean this is California.....so maybe they will designate certain students to sit in those seats who may be a distraction to the players on the sidelines.....if you know what I mean :)

Very strange decision, why not just use one more section in the EZ? I mean what could possibly go wrong putting drunk students right behind the opposing teams bench.....seems like a great plan.

Or maybe.....I mean this is California.....so maybe they will designate certain students to sit in those seats who may be a distraction to the players on the sidelines.....if you know what I mean :)
I mean they better be really hot then to make it worth the effort!

When I went to the TCU vs MN FB game, their students were behind the visitor's bench. I heard that there was some interaction.

When I went to the TCU vs MN FB game, their students were behind the visitor's bench. I heard that there was some interaction.
Word has it the SEC explicitly bans having the student section behind the visitors bench for football.

UCLA has had attendance issues as we know. I wonder if this is an effort to make the stadium look fuller during broadcasts (granted, I don't think students attend all that well either).

Baylor has their entire student section along the visiting sideline if I recall correctly. Doesn't look terrible, just odd.

Word has it the SEC explicitly bans having the student section behind the visitors bench for football.
I'm actually kind of surprised that this isn't a thing everywhere. Putting students right behind the opposing teams bench is just asking for something stupid to happen unless the stadium is setup in a way where the sideline is separated from the stands by a decent amount of space.

I'm actually kind of surprised that this isn't a thing everywhere. Putting students right behind the opposing teams bench is just asking for something stupid to happen unless the stadium is setup in a way where the sideline is separated from the stands by a decent amount of space.
It's probably more about happenstance, I don't know how many B1G student sections are behind the opposing bench but ... I don't think it's many.

Attendance rankings NCAA 2018-2022

50 Minnesota

2018-2022 Attendance Average: 35,183.00
5-Year Filled Stadium Capacity 69.25%
2022 Average Attendance: 3
2022 Filled Stadium Capacity 88.61%

46 UCLA​

2018-2022 Attendance Average: 36,484.80
5-Year Filled Stadium Capacity 45.26%
2022 Average Attendance: 41,593
2022 Filled Stadium Capacity 51.59%

It's probably more about happenstance, I don't know how many B1G student sections are behind the opposing bench but ... I don't think it's many.
I'm honestly surprised some stadiums would want to put students in those seats.....not because of the potential for problems but because student tickets are almost always cheaper than general public tickets and those sideline seats tend to be the higher dollar seats.

Student tickets seem to be in the less premium areas of football and basketball venues most of the time.

50 Minnesota

46 UCLA​

Only 3 people on average in 2022?.....felt like so many more than that :)

Only 3 people on average in 2022?.....felt like so many more than that :)
lol. I thought I messed up copying and pasting it, but that is what the article says. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Gopher home attendance last year according to Wikipedia:
Aug 31 vs Nebraska: 53,629
Sept. 9 vs EMU: 48,101
Sept. 30 vs LA: 46,843
Oct. 7 vs Michigan: 52,179
Oct. 28 vs MSU: 47,392
Nov. 4 vs Ill: 42,906
Nov. 25 vs wis: 48,119
Average: 48,452

I'm honestly surprised some stadiums would want to put students in those seats.....not because of the potential for problems but because student tickets are almost always cheaper than general public tickets and those sideline seats tend to be the higher dollar seats.

Student tickets seem to be in the less premium areas of football and basketball venues most of the time.
Agreed.

Prime real estate.

Drunk, or high either or.

As a lifelong Gopher fan, I have never been to the Rose Bowl, but in many of the older stadiums I have been to the first few rows behind the benches are horrible seats because of the sight lines. In many places they are at field level and you can't see a thing with football players standing in front of you.

It is an effort to condense the crowd for TV. The EZ's will be tarped off on both sides. Make it look like there is a bigger crowd.

University of Caucasians Lost among Asians

50 Minnesota

46 UCLA​

Since these are the official numbers based on ticket sales, I assume that UCLA must have an astonishing number of no-shows. I remember the following comments from Troy Ailman back in 2022.

This is an embarrassment but we couldn't fill the Rose Bowl in 1988 when we were the #1 team in the country,” Aikman wrote. “Anyone else at UCLA think it's time for an on-campus 30,000 seat stadium? Of course, if we can't play better than we did today, it would be half-empty too,” Aikman continued. (Sep 18, 2022)

I remember these comments being discussed on Sports Center they showed the Rose Bowl and they were lucky if they had 5,000 fans at the game.

Top Bottom