U of MN Official: Coyle Makes Change in Men’s Basketball Leadership

So you read that I said "who knows though" and yet imply that anything I wrote is factual.

I forgot its GH and some on here have poor reading comprehension.
Ok. Your “guess” was that he is petty. Sorry for assuming you thought that since you guessed it.

Why does anyone think they would time the announcement with anything else? There is no reason to “hide” it!

For all you that think this messes up any “plans”, just remember that for Pitino to be hired for a new job, he has to leave his last job. This doesn’t hurt anything, in fact it is just part of the process. Pitino will be named the new coach at New Mexico tomorrow.
Hope your right re NM. Like Pitino and wishing him the best.

He unfollowed me on Twitter 😡

Bye b****!! You won’t be missed!

Couldn’t coach, couldn’t recruit. Waste of 8 years. Final rating: F.

My feelings on this is it's time to hold Coyle to a higher standard with regards to the basketball program. It's been obvious to some of us that the Pitino tenure was going to end very poorly for a number of years. Coyle waited. He waited while a number of talented local prospects went elsewhere, and not just to Duke. He waited while a number of talented coaches found jobs elsewhere. He waited until Minnesota had 4 consecutive losing seasons. He waited until the returning roster is at least in the coversation for the weakest it's been at Minnesota that I can remember (year 3 Pitino, last year of Monson in the mix for sure).

Now is the time to make this right to the fanbase. The events of today have raised my expectations. Indiana found $10 million to buyout Archie Miller and almost assuredly will be paying $4 million plus to their next guy (plus a potential buyout). Iowa State found $5 million to buyout Steve Prohm and is rumored to be hiring TJ Otzelberger who has a $3 million buyout at UNLV. Don't cry poor. The Pitino buyout likely ends up less than $1.75 million if he gets the New Mexico job. Coyle's comments after last season made it pretty clear that Pitino was not meeting his expectations, so there's no excuse not to be prepared. If you don't have the money to pay a big buyout or a big salary, then that is on you (Coyle). He's had a number of years to create new donors at a school in a major market with tons of Fortune 500 companies in the area. There is money in the Twin Cities. During the pandemic, there's been plenty of time for him to cultivate relationships with wealthy alums or simply local wealthy individuals who love basketball and would like to feel involved somewhere.

I believe the steam that Eric Musselman is interested and attainable. It's simply coming from too many people now who have no interest in trolling Minnesota and no particular affinity for the school. The buyout at Arkansas is $5 million. Iowa State found that to make Prohm go away (and possibly another $3 million to get Otzelberger). The salary for Musselman would be $3.5-$4 million or somewhere between $1.1-$1.6 million more than Pitino made. This should be attainable if you are serious about getting this basketball program going. I am certainly willing to listen to people who prefer another candidate, but he's the only one I see that actually seems to excite/energize the vast majority of the fanbase. He's built up 2 programs in very different areas of the country. He's shown he knows how to work with transfers (which are becoming more common), and he's recruited the state of Arkansas well from the jump. This roster needs an overhaul and Musselman is the guy most likely to bring in talent immediately given both his history and his higher profile than the other mentioned candidates. This program needs some juice both externally and internally and Coyle shouldn't be allowed to use finances as a crutch. If Musselman will take the job, Coyle has to find a way to make it happen.

My feelings on this is it's time to hold Coyle to a higher standard with regards to the basketball program. It's been obvious to some of us that the Pitino tenure was going to end very poorly for a number of years. Coyle waited. He waited while a number of talented local prospects went elsewhere, and not just to Duke. He waited while a number of talented coaches found jobs elsewhere. He waited until Minnesota had 4 consecutive losing seasons. He waited until the returning roster is at least in the coversation for the weakest it's been at Minnesota that I can remember (year 3 Pitino, last year of Monson in the mix for sure).

Now is the time to make this right to the fanbase. The events of today have raised my expectations. Indiana found $10 million to buyout Archie Miller and almost assuredly will be paying $4 million plus to their next guy (plus a potential buyout). Iowa State found $5 million to buyout Steve Prohm and is rumored to be hiring TJ Otzelberger who has a $3 million buyout at UNLV. Don't cry poor. The Pitino buyout likely ends up less than $1.75 million if he gets the New Mexico job. Coyle's comments after last season made it pretty clear that Pitino was not meeting his expectations, so there's no excuse not to be prepared. If you don't have the money to pay a big buyout or a big salary, then that is on you (Coyle). He's had a number of years to create new donors at a school in a major market with tons of Fortune 500 companies in the area. There is money in the Twin Cities. During the pandemic, there's been plenty of time for him to cultivate relationships with wealthy alums or simply local wealthy individuals who love basketball and would like to feel involved somewhere.

I believe the steam that Eric Musselman is interested and attainable. It's simply coming from too many people now who have no interest in trolling Minnesota and no particular affinity for the school. The buyout at Arkansas is $5 million. Iowa State found that to make Prohm go away (and possibly another $3 million to get Otzelberger). The salary for Musselman would be $3.5-$4 million or somewhere between $1.1-$1.6 million more than Pitino made. This should be attainable if you are serious about getting this basketball program going. I am certainly willing to listen to people who prefer another candidate, but he's the only one I see that actually seems to excite/energize the vast majority of the fanbase. He's built up 2 programs in very different areas of the country. He's shown he knows how to work with transfers (which are becoming more common), and he's recruited the state of Arkansas well from the jump. This roster needs an overhaul and Musselman is the guy most likely to bring in talent immediately given both his history and his higher profile than the other mentioned candidates. This program needs some juice both externally and internally and Coyle shouldn't be allowed to use finances as a crutch. If Musselman will take the job, Coyle has to find a way to make it happen.
The U of M and Gopher program is interesting and even a little perplexing, in that it has been the only D1 institution in a state that contains HQ’s for some of America’s more esteemed major companies. While it may not have a Mark Cuban-like alum who is an absolute sports nut like many of us here, I find it impossible given the pedigree of the U of M, that there are not deep pocketed (even youngish) alum out there, and agree some may not even be U of M grads but hold strong affinity to the program. For several days as we’ve been speculating on mgmt of the buyout, I have wondered/hoped when will this emerge and what work does the U of M admin do to seek out and nurture these relationships that are so key to success of any major program. There will always be folks who complain about “why” so much was paid etc, but its a necessary part of success of running what should be a shining attraction for the state of MN. This includes decisions around Williams Arena.

I feel bad for Richard that he could not make it happen here. I wish he and his family the best wherever he lands. Now to find a guy that can turn the program around. From a historical perspective I do not see that as an easy thing to do but hopefully Coyle can find the right guy.

Exactly as I have said. Either you want a top flight program or you don’t. You pay for nice things.
The past year did nothing but cost more. But covid.

Love your passion and respect your arguments.

But I think (guess) the following two things are bedrock truths, at this time:
1) Coyle will never be fired for basketball, so long as Fleck and football are doing well
2) what donors there are (left) for MBB at Minnesota, they just aren't going to give the kind of money you're talking about above. That's donors at those schools who are kicking in for those buyouts and new contracts.

The U of M and Gopher program is interesting and even a little perplexing, in that it has been the only D1 institution in a state that contains HQ’s for some of America’s more esteemed major companies. While it may not have a Mark Cuban-like alum who is an absolute sports nut like many of us here, I find it impossible given the pedigree of the U of M, that there are not deep pocketed (even youngish) alum out there, and agree some may not even be U of M grads but hold strong affinity to the program. For several days as we’ve been speculating on mgmt of the buyout, I have wondered/hoped when will this emerge and what work does the U of M admin do to seek out and nurture these relationships that are so key to success of any major program. There will always be folks who complain about “why” so much was paid etc, but its a necessary part of success of running what should be a shining attraction for the state of MN. This includes decisions around Williams Arena.
But remember it's a big pro town too, and every single one of those big companies are hit up all the time to buy suites at the pro stadiums/arenas, pay for sponsorships, etc.

The U gets plenty of its share. 3M Mariucci, TCF stadium, etc. But it is fierce competition.

I would not assume that he won't have to be paid the 1.75M just because he got hired again.

I think just interviewing for the NM job is technically what made him eligible to be paid the buyout, actually. Could easily be wrong though.

I would not assume that he won't have to be paid the 1.75M just because he got hired again.

I think just interviewing for the NM job is technically what made him eligible to be paid the buyout, actually. Could easily be wrong though.
His NM salary will be subtracted from the buyout. Plus it sounds like he and Coyle worked something out so the buyout itself wasn’t $1.75M in return for Coyle giving him a heads up so he could find a new job before it was too late in the hiring cycle. This really couldn’t have worked out better for all involved.

Top Bottom