U of MN Official: Coyle Makes Change in Men’s Basketball Leadership

GopherLady

Reaction score
University of Minnesota Athletics Director Mark Coyle announced this evening that the University has parted ways with men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino.

Statement from Mark Coyle

“I recently met with Richard and told him that we were moving in a different direction. Richard is a tremendous person and coach, and I want to thank him, Jill and their family for their commitment to Minnesota. We wish them well in their next endeavor.

“Decisions like this are never easy, but after evaluating this season and the previous eight years of our program under Richard, it is clear to me that new leadership is needed. We have one of the best practice facilities in the nation, a historic competition venue and a state that produces top-caliber talent. This is an extremely attractive job, and we will immediately start a nationwide search for our next head coach.”

It makes you wonder what happened post the New Mexico interview.

This is blunt:

after evaluating this season and the previous eight years of our program under Richard, it is clear to me that new leadership is needed. We have one of the best practice facilities in the nation, a historic competition venue and a state that produces top-caliber talent. This is an extremely attractive job, and we will immediately start a nationwide search for our next head coach.”

I wonder if they could not negotiate a deal with New Mexico and/or RP was a little selfish so he's taking us for the money.

Based on the last few interviews/post game conferences, he really really was adamant about injuries being the sole reason why the team tanked.

My guess is he might have been petty and burned a bridge. It would explain him removing all gopher related follows on twitter.

If he does land at NM, this might have been what happened.

Who knows though

It makes you wonder what happened post the New Mexico interview.

This is blunt:

after evaluating this season and the previous eight years of our program under Richard, it is clear to me that new leadership is needed. We have one of the best practice facilities in the nation, a historic competition venue and a state that produces top-caliber talent. This is an extremely attractive job, and we will immediately start a nationwide search for our next head coach.”

I wonder if they could not negotiate a deal with New Mexico and/or RP was a little selfish so he's taking us for the money.

Based on the last few interviews/post game conferences, he really really was adamant about injuries being the sole reason why the team tanked.

My guess is he might have been petty and burned a bridge. It would explain him removing all gopher related follows on twitter.

If he does land at NM, this might have been what happened.

Who knows though
You have no idea what happened so you call him petty and selfish. You realize the U of M negotiated that contract and owes him that money if they fire him, right? He isn't holding a gun to Coyle's head and loading stacks of cash into a team issued duffel bag.

Cool thing about public universities is this will become public knowledge, just like all of their contracts.

A win-win. Getting canned in this COVID year won't hurt RP much. The seemingly inevitable loss of longtime season ticket holders would be disastrous

We were hit by injuries, but Richard needs to start holding himself accountable for the lack of depth in that case.

A new employer isn't going to want to hear about injuries.
Or practice facilities, arenas, player dismissals, tough conferences, etc.

Watching the cut in on BTN during Gopher puck game they mentioned winning 36% B10 games and making 2 NCAA Tournaments over 8 yrs. In retrospect, hard to believe they managed those bids given that record.

Last edited:

A new employer isn't going to want to hear about injuries.

Not at all, and I would hope that Richard is better than to cling to that tired excuse. Injuries no doubt hurt greatly at the end of this season, but his record over his entire tenure here is what it is and he needs to take accountability for that.

I guessed noon today. I bet he told Pitino at noon today but waited until tonight so it gets lost in NFL free agency.

You have no idea what happened so you call him petty and selfish. You realize the U of M negotiated that contract and owes him that money if they fire him, right? He isn't holding a gun to Coyle's head and loading stacks of cash into a team issued duffel bag.

Cool thing about public universities is this will become public knowledge, just like all of their contracts.
hahahahahhahahhahhaha. Finish reading what I said first.

at the very bottom

very

very

very

bottom

about here.

now go back and read it.

Good luck to Richard. He is a very likable guy, but he is no Rick when it comes to recruiting and coaching.

Covid-19 afforded him a canopy for one season.

Last edited:

hahahahahhahahhahhaha. Finish reading what I said first.

at the very bottom

very

very

very

bottom

about here.

now go back and read it.
I read it. Which is why I said "you have no idea what happened" then wondered why you made those comments. See, reading isn't hard for me. Maybe it is for you?

Why does anyone think they would time the announcement with anything else? There is no reason to “hide” it!

For all you that think this messes up any “plans”, just remember that for Pitino to be hired for a new job, he has to leave his last job. This doesn’t hurt anything, in fact it is just part of the process. Pitino will be named the new coach at New Mexico tomorrow.

I read it. Which is why I said "you have no idea what happened" then wondered why you made those comments. See, reading isn't hard for me. Maybe it is for you?

So you read that I said "who knows though" and yet imply that anything I wrote is factual.

I forgot its GH and some on here have poor reading comprehension.

Top Bottom