U of M = Cradle of Coaches

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Only one pro hockey coach? Seems like that would e our bread and butter.

Gopher Hockery coaches

Only one pro hockey coach? Seems like that would e our bread and butter.

Off the top of my head I can only name 4 other former Gophers who coached in the NHL:

Lou Nanne
Herb Brooks
Bob Johnson
Paul Holmgren

Off the top of my head I can only name 4 other former Gophers who coached in the NHL:

Lou Nanne
Herb Brooks
Bob Johnson
Paul Holmgren

The OP only list current coaches. We could apply others like Harry "Bud" Grant, John Kundla, Tony Dungy, and Phil Bengston (off the top of my head) as former Gophers who had professional coaching careers.

HC

The OP only list current coaches. We could apply others like Harry "Bud" Grant, John Kundla, Tony Dungy, and Phil Bengston (off the top of my head) as former Gophers who had professional coaching careers.

I did know the list was current coaches, I was just responding to the post regarding "we should dominate hockey" and realized that past and current...it's a short list. Sorry for the confustion.

Former coaches, Bud Wilkinson is another.

I didn't say dominate! Lol Just saying there is a greater number of players in pro hockey from Minnesota than other sports. So you would think there would be a greater opportunity for them to make the head coach ranks. There are a few assistant coacheslike Darby Hendrickson out there.

HC

I didn't say dominate! Lol Just saying there is a greater number of players in pro hockey from Minnesota than other sports. So you would think there would be a greater opportunity for them to make the head coach ranks. There are a few assistant coacheslike Darby Hendrickson out there.

The NHL tends to go the retread route so its a tough fraternity to break into. Not many Yanks get a chance.

Top Bottom