Tyus

josh087

Sharing Common Sense & Reality
Reaction score
Had a chance to watch Tyus Jones for the first time this season when Apple Valley took on Jefferson last night. Jones had 22 points by my unofficial count. I'm sure a lot of his game has been said before, but here are some of the points I took away from watching him (while doing PBP on the game). Also keep in mind Jefferson is the last-place team in the SSC:

- Obviously Good Quickness. Maybe his #1 attribute, even as a freshman.
- Ball handling skills were solid. Not a lot of turnovers. Made some risky passes but they worked out for the most part. Against a better D they might have been turnovers
- Tyus rarely forces a bad shot in the offense. He plays under control and makes good decisions. I think this is what impresses me most about him at his young age. You would think he would jack up a couple of wild shots randomly in games but it doesn't happen.
- In the 2nd half he really kicked it into another gear in the last couple minutes he was on the floor. He had scored a bunch of points early, then Jefferson put Marcus Alipate on him which slowed him down. However, once the game was no longer in doubt he really got aggressive again and made a bunch of late plays including several baskets. This was a side of him I hadn't seen before but liked.
- It was fun to watch Marcus/Tyus duel back and forth, even in a 25-pt game. Their games are actually really similar, except Tyus is only a freshman, and actually has legitimate HS players as teammates.
- Tyus' obvious weakness is his outside shooting - but he knows it and doesn't force up those shots often
- Solid on D. Jefferson had to run Marcus off of double-screens to get him open, and even then he had to settle for 3-pointers. Alipate did find success, though, as he scored 25 (most coming in the 2nd half). In the 1-1 matchup both were kind of neutralized by each other.
- Looked to be 100% - if not, then very close to it - following his kidney ailment.

That's about it - came away impressed at his progress. The big questions are can he develop that outside shot more, and will he hit a growth spurt and add another couple of inches?

Josh087

""Had a chance to watch Tyus Jones for the first time ""

""This was a side of him I hadn't seen before but liked. ""

How could you have seen it before when this was the first time???? I am :confused:

Josh087

How could you have seen it before when this was the first time???? I am :confused:

Maybe he drinks a lot like you Don and he sees DOUBLE??

Josh087

LOL, no worries Don - I believe I said above first thyme this season. I had seen him in previous years. If I didn't put this season, then I blame it on lack of sleep or the Dr. Don beer program.

What do you think of Alipate's game for the Division 1 level? I remember people were very high on him when he was younger.

I've seen Tyus play a few times and his outside shot is as good as anyone who plays on the current gopher team with the exception of Hoff. When I watch him, it is hard to believe he is a 9th grader or was an 8th grader last year. The section will be fun to watch. The top 4 seeds will be Eagan, Eastview, Lakeville South and Apple Valley, possibly in that order. Schalk is a very good player for Apple Valley also and leads the conference in scoring. I'd be surprised if at least 3 of those teams didn't make it to the second round. Lakeville North started the season without their senior guard, Al Erickson, and were 1-8. Since he has come back, they have played pretty well and could pull an upset. North played Apple Valley tough twice, beating them in Tyus' first game back by about 12 and then lost about a 10 point lead in the last 5 minutes when they took out Erickson for about in minute last Friday. North has also beaten Eastview once in the last few weeks so they could pull an upset. Burnsville had a lot of upsets earlier in the year, but I think the probability that both Burnsville and North will win is pretty small. I've watched all those teams play quite a bit this year and personally, I think Eagan is the best. They might not have the top end stars like Alex Richter, Joey King, Schalk or Tyus, but in my opinion they are the deepest and have more ways to hurt you. Valley also has a 10th grader who is a very good outside shooter, #10, but I don't know his name.

I heard Marcus was maybe going to Wofford or something if he wanted to play basketball. I also heard he wanted to join his brother to play football at the U. He is not nearly as big as his brother, but I've heard he is a really nice kid. If he goes to the U, I would think he is going to concentrate on football. I can see him maybe playing at a school like Wofford, but I don't see him helping the Gophers at point guard, and that is not meant to be a knock on him. He was a heck of a WR at Jefferson.

LOL, no worries Don - I believe I said above first thyme this season. I had seen him in previous years. If I didn't put this season, then I blame it on lack of sleep or the Dr. Don beer program.

I did that on purpose...it is called selective "quotes". And Dr.Don's beer program is the cure of all ailments. :)

Marcus has a meeting with Kill this week I believe to talk about football opportunities at the U. If that doesn't pan out, right now it's still pretty open what he will do.

I heard Marcus was maybe going to Wofford or something if he wanted to play basketball. I also heard he wanted to join his brother to play football at the U. He is not nearly as big as his brother, but I've heard he is a really nice kid. If he goes to the U, I would think he is going to concentrate on football. I can see him maybe playing at a school like Wofford, but I don't see him helping the Gophers at point guard, and that is not meant to be a knock on him. He was a heck of a WR at Jefferson.

Just saw the Monter interview. Definitely sounds like he wants to play football here.

Marcus has a meeting with Kill this week I believe to talk about football opportunities at the U. If that doesn't pan out, right now it's still pretty open what he will do.

They said at the senior night thingy Jefferson had that Marcus will go either to Minnesota or Oregon. Not sure if Oregon is interested in his skills for either football or basketball - just repeating what I heard.

Moses was also at the game watching his little bro.

What do you think of Alipate's game for the Division 1 level? I remember people were very high on him when he was younger.

It's hard to say. His teams have been so bad the last couple of years, and opposing teams basically try to stop him at all costs. He doesn't do one thing that really stands out IMO - good shooter, good leaping ability, good passer, good defender - just not great at any one thing, and he is only about 6'1" or so. He could struggle to get his shot off at the next level, but then again people probably said that about Jordan Taylor too.

And...that is based on my viewing in HS games. Johnny Gopher or Chris might be a better resource and seen him play on a more competitive summer team or something.

Ha, I was hoping someone wood catch that. Sometimes I'm just in a spicy mood and like to throw a random homonym in my posts.

Add some Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary and you've got yourself a good song to go with it.

homophone

Not allowed at BYU.

3599262517_8d33d2a161.jpg

Marcus seems like a pretty polished PG I think he might struggle with the speed at the next level but could develop into a heady player. I think he would be a great walkon candidate especially since we need some depth at guard play.

I've seen Tyus play a few times and his outside shot is as good as anyone who plays on the current gopher team with the exception of Hoff. When I watch him, it is hard to believe he is a 9th grader or was an 8th grader last year. The section will be fun to watch. The top 4 seeds will be Eagan, Eastview, Lakeville South and Apple Valley, possibly in that order. Schalk is a very good player for Apple Valley also and leads the conference in scoring. I'd be surprised if at least 3 of those teams didn't make it to the second round. Lakeville North started the season without their senior guard, Al Erickson, and were 1-8. Since he has come back, they have played pretty well and could pull an upset. North played Apple Valley tough twice, beating them in Tyus' first game back by about 12 and then lost about a 10 point lead in the last 5 minutes when they took out Erickson for about in minute last Friday. North has also beaten Eastview once in the last few weeks so they could pull an upset. Burnsville had a lot of upsets earlier in the year, but I think the probability that both Burnsville and North will win is pretty small. I've watched all those teams play quite a bit this year and personally, I think Eagan is the best. They might not have the top end stars like Alex Richter, Joey King, Schalk or Tyus, but in my opinion they are the deepest and have more ways to hurt you. Valley also has a 10th grader who is a very good outside shooter, #10, but I don't know his name.

I believe his name is Dustin Fronk

I remember seeing Marcus....

as a soph. in the tourney w his brother @ Jefferson and I thought he looked like a very good point guard candidate...if not in the Big Ten, certainly at ANY D11 or D111 school. He has good quickness and shoots it well.....I would think he would a fine walk on candidate for Tubby as well.

You are correct...it is Fronk. Marcus will not play basketball at the U. I hope he tries to play football there, in my opinion he will not even try to play basketball there. I've stood next to him and made small talk to him, and he is at most 6'0. He was very polite, respectful and I've heard a real great kid, but if he goes to the U, his future is in football and not in basketball.

Add some Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary and you've got yourself a good song to go with it.

You could only add Parsley, because Sage and Rosemary were in the backseat of the car with me.

Top Bottom