Tyus will not come here says his dad.

I have a nagging feeling that Tyus will have a Duke career
similar to Adam Boone with NC Tar Heels.

He might be over his head out there in the ACC and he will be trying to transfer back to the Gophers after 2 years in an attempt to salvage his career.

Adam Boone and Tyus are/were good kids outside of basketball too.
And I think Tyus is better than Boone on the court, but i just have a feeling the ACC will prove too tough for him and he'll be looking to return home after that.

Ahh no, Tyus has physical ability that Boone could only dream of having, I think he would be a direct entry to the NBA if players could declare right out of HS.

Ahh no, Tyus has physical ability that Boone could only dream of having, I think he would be a direct entry to the NBA if players could declare right out of HS.
I would like to have an NBA scouts opinion on that one. His possible physical limitations sseem to me to be the question marks about his game at higher levels. It could just be me and the fact he's not going to be a Gopher, but in watching a few of his High School games you don't say looking at him that guy is an NBA player. A great High School player no doubt.

I would like to have an NBA scouts opinion on that one. His possible physical limitations sseem to me to be the question marks about his game at higher levels. It could just be me and the fact he's not going to be a Gopher, but in watching a few of his High School games you don't say looking at him that guy is an NBA player. A great High School player no doubt.

I disagree, he's as explosive as any NBA player I have ever seen, he's 17, sure he has to develop some strength, good but not a great scorer ( with his other skills and developing scoring ability he's going to be good way beyond good high school talent), his quickness, floor presence, and ability to find the open man, you can't teach that.

Tyus and success

I see a lot of similarities between the 2 players.
Although I think Tyus has a better basketball IQ than Boone and will probably have a slightly better and more consistant college career.
I think Duke will chew him up and spit him out.
He's better off choosing kansas or Baylor.

I will take a bet on Tyus and how successful he will be if he choses Duke. I will bet he starts by at least the midpoint of his freshmen season and he might start day 1.

Was Adam Boone a top 25 player even? Your comparing the #2 rated player on ESPN to Boone...really? At least use one of MN prior McDonald's all-American pt guards like El-Amin.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2010/order/true

Take a look at the top 10 players going back over the last 5 years. You have a couple all americans, most are all conference players, many are lottery picks. The biggest to not pan out: Will Barton, Q. Miller, neither blossomed like their ranking predicted but they also werent so bad they had to return home to finish their careers. The recruiting services are pretty good now it appears that 2-4 of each years top 10 is eventually a lottery pick.

If he was as good as everyone says he is, he WOULD win here. Other players would follow the top PG to Minnesota and Tyus could go down as a legend in his hometown. Now, he will be forgotten about (by me at least). All it shows is that his personality is more that of a follower than a leader. He probably watches American Idol and listens to Top 40.

Playing for Duke or Kentucky is like playing shortstop for the Yankees or center for the Lakers. An unbelievable experience not meant for the weak or timid (ask Dwight H.). Every time Tyus stepped on a court wearing Kentucky blue or Duke blue, it's automatically the opponent's biggest game of the season. Most likely sold out arenas home and away. More games featured on ESPN or ABC or CBS than any other program. Play in front of 20,000+ every night at Rupp Arena? Play in front of the Cameron Crazies? Campus/Community rock stars. Once in a lifetime opportunities. I don't begrudge anyone choosing that option.

Kris Humphries stayed....was he a leader? Is he a legend?
Adam Boone left which made him a follower, he returned....leader? legend?
Rick Rickert...leader? legend?
Joel Przybilla...leader? legend?

Alan Anderson sure developed into a leader. Kammron Taylor sure developed into a leader. Jordan Taylor sure developed into a leader.

Not every kid wants to go to college minutes from home.

Tyus may or may not come to Minnesota. Nothing I can do about it.

I suspect right now he is ruling Minnesota out. However, Pitino is a new flashy coach (we hope) and may have a chance to build a relationship with Tyus.

I am not overly optimistic but as the saying goes "so you are saying there is a chance?"

Playing for Duke or Kentucky is like playing shortstop for the Yankees or center for the Lakers. An unbelievable experience not meant for the weak or timid (ask Dwight H.). Every time Tyus stepped on a court wearing Kentucky blue or Duke blue, it's automatically the opponent's biggest game of the season. Most likely sold out arenas home and away. More games featured on ESPN or ABC or CBS than any other program. Play in front of 20,000+ every night at Rupp Arena? Play in front of the Cameron Crazies? Campus/Community rock stars. Once in a lifetime opportunities. I don't begrudge anyone choosing that option.

Alan Anderson sure developed into a leader. Kammron Taylor sure developed into a leader. Jordan Taylor sure developed into a leader.

Great post. I feel that anyone who would turn on Tyus (after drooling over him for 6 years), is childish. I will root for him, wherever he goes, unless he's playing the Gophers.

What is so wrong about a young man that has a chance to go to a much better school with a much better basketball program ? Just amazed that folks think that staying home is what is best.

Thank you.

These kids' college decisions are theirs, not ours.

Jones is that rare singular talent that will succeed from Day one at a Duke or Kansas. He will start from day one and play 2 or 3 years then have a very good NBA career. Izzo thinks he is the best pure point guard he has ever recruited.

Jones is that rare singular talent that will succeed from Day one at a Duke or Kansas. He will start from day one and play 2 or 3 years then have a very good NBA career. Izzo thinks he is the best pure point guard he has ever recruited.

LOL - how is that rare? Both of those programs have had plenty of great freshman guards. Same goes for MSU.

What is so wrong about a young man that has a chance to go to a much better school with a much better basketball program ? Just amazed that folks think that staying home is what is best.

There is nothing wrong at all with going to Duke. If a guy like Coack K really wants to you to come to his program how can you turn it down? It's the BS of insulting the hometown fan base by saying the Gophers are still in the running while saying he will play with Okafor in the next sentence. Just rule out the Gophers so the fans and coaching staff can move on.

Duke or KU or MSU do not have freshman guards like Jones. It is to the gophers advantage that he still appears on the list. It appears to kids that follow recruiting that schools are at least in the running. He has done nothing but make positive comments about the U. While frustrating for fans it is never bad to hear good things about Pitino.

I see no reason to root for Tyus anymore than say a kid from Milwuakee. I have the same loyality in rooted for him as he has for his home state and University. Doesn't make anyone a bad person but just the way as a Gopher fan I see it. Tyus is handling this process like a typical Duke recruit. He even has the Duke squeaky clean smugness. I hate Duke.;)

For what its worth, my dad talked to Tyus's dad and his dad said that Minnesota is not in his final three. I know its hard to believe but take it how you want to I think Tyus should just cross us off the list at this point. If it helps my dad played for the Gophers in the 80s (Tim Hanson). He played amateur ball with and against Tyus's dad many times. That is how they know each other.

Assuming this is true, I'm sure Tyus and his dad are thrilled you and your dad broke the story for them. :party:

Chances are if Tyus was ever going to to MN, it was because at the last minute he decided he wanted to stay home. The time for that hasn't come yet. Rick Rickert and Kris Humphries weren't going to MN at this stage either.

The Iron Five

I was at game seven of the '87 World Series, but my biggest sports thrill was at the Gopher game vs. Ohio State in '86. The "Iron Five" of Marc Wilson, Ray Gaffney, Tim Hanson, Kelvin Smith and John Shasky beat the Buckeyes (who featured future NBA players Dennis Hopson and Brad Sellers). We sat in the second row directly under the hoop and stayed after to get my program cover signed by the Iron Five as well as interim coach Jimmy Williams (also got Joe Senser to sign it on the inside). It's still my most prized possession. Tell your dad "thanks" for providing such a great memory. Go Gophers!

2nd row, 2nd deck right behind Ray C. They tried to destroy our basketball program and the Gopher Faithful told them bull *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#!

Thanks for the info.

As long as it's not MSU, I'll cheer for Tyus wherever he ends up. It might be tough if he's playing for Duke, but I can cheer for him and against his team.[/QUOTE
Agree 100%. I for one am tired of izzo coming into Minnesota for recruits and hearing about it all the time. He is a good coach who appears to be in love with himself and loves the cameras on him. Why do you think he was sad to see Tubby go? Because typically he could count on two w's against the Gophers and Tubby couldn't recruit against him. If its not the Gophers, then I hope its anyone but msu.

Good Luck getting a job in this town after graduating Mr. Jones.

He won't have any trouble getting a job here. He has been very professional throughout the entire process. I wouldn't want to work for an employer that would hold something like this against a potential employee. Sounds like a low-life to me.

I'm going against the grain a little bit but my best guess at this time would be the following:

Tyus - MSU
Rashad - Kentucky
Reid - Stanford or Duke

No inside knowledge here whatsoever...just my gut opinion. As for rooting against players that decide to leave the state to play, I have no problem with people rooting against their success....they chose to play for another team than the Gophers so deal with it. I also have no problems with Gopher fans that opt to cheer for them if they go elsewhere. MSU would be a tough pill to swallow, though.

I'll say 1 goes to Kansas, 1 goes to Duke, and 1 becomes a Gopher. Jones won't be the Gopher.

I'm going against the grain a little bit but my best guess at this time would be the following:

Tyus - MSU
Rashad - Kentucky
Reid - Stanford or Duke

No inside knowledge here whatsoever...just my gut opinion. As for rooting against players that decide to leave the state to play, I have no problem with people rooting against their success....they chose to play for another team than the Gophers so deal with it. I also have no problems with Gopher fans that opt to cheer for them if they go elsewhere. MSU would be a tough pill to swallow, though.

I agree with you completely, except Rashad and Reid are coming to the U.

I agree about the fan support, however. ...

I understand that Scott Drew has a rep for being (shall we say) a tad shady with regards to his recruiting methods, but respectfully I don't understand the amount of criticism he takes for his on-court results. Yes, Baylor was a disappointment last season when it failed to make the NCAA Tournament, but the bottom line is spanning the last four seasons Baylor has a NIT championship (2013) and a pair of NCAA Elite 8 appearances (2010, 2012).

For a program not named Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, or Syracuse, etc., I'd take those results in a heartbeat, minus any cheating, of course.

Man, it's hard to look past last year. They were a preseason top-25 team (some had them top-20) and they definitely had that kind of talent - they beat #1 seed Kansas by over 20 points - and only made the NIT. They lost to Northwestern and College of Charleston with a frontcourt group that would make ANY Big Ten coach jealous in addition to a preseason AA PG.

But if you look past the last year, Drew's accomplishments still don't look too hot really if you consider the talent that he has had. You'd be hard-pressed to find many similar stature programs that have had the kind of frontcourt talent that he's had play at Baylor within the past 4-5 years. Keep in mind that college coaches voted Drew #3 in the most overrated poll and that was last summer before the 2013 flop.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ho-is-the-most-overrated-coach-in-the-country

They were loaded in 2012 but didn't seem to play up to their talent really - they did make the Elite 8, but only had to beat Xavier, Colorado and South Dakota St to get there (there were definitely more than 8 teams that could've done that in 2012) and they did deserve to make the E8 talent-wise in 2010 but still their run was not very impressive in terms of the competition that they beat (St Mary's, Old Dominion and Sam Houston St).

He won't have any trouble getting a job here. He has been very professional throughout the entire process. I wouldn't want to work for an employer that would hold something like this against a potential employee. Sounds like a low-life to me.

Wait, you're not calling Sid a low-life, are you?

Tyus - MSU
Rashad - Kentucky
Reid - Stanford or Duke

As for rooting against players that decide to leave the state to play, I have no problem with people rooting against their success....they chose to play for another team than the Gophers so deal with it. I also have no problems with Gopher fans that opt to cheer for them if they go elsewhere. MSU would be a tough pill to swallow, though.

I'm with you. If someone decides to not be a Gopher, why the hell would I root for them? Cuz he was from my state???? Doesn't do anything for me. I know some kids that will be be playing D1 sports for other teams and I will root for them cuz I know them and like them. Don't know these three.

As I have said many times before. I have no problem with Tyus siezing an excellent opportunity and going to Duke. I don't blame him one bit, but I certainly won't be "rooting" for him.

I agree with you completely, except Rashad and Reid are coming to the U.

I hope you're right, Howie...any recruiting class that would include Vaughn, Reid and possibly Cohen and Macura would really revitalize this program! Follow that up with Alex, Henry, Jarvis and Amir and now we're talking.

Tyus is gone. We know it. Cool for him. People I know that are semi-close to Vaughn (and even go to the U) say he isn't going to be a gopher. Who knows, maybe time will change things, but according to my knowledge if he chose a school today it wouldn't be Minnesota. Whitehead gives just as much love to the gophers as Vaughn does in the media.

Top Bottom