Tyus Jones

lol 'is he not as good as he thinks'. Such a stupid shot taken. He's a rookie PG. Outside of the lottery type guys most rookies are buried on the bench right now because.... they're rookies. They need to mature and grow to contribute.

Yeah, seriously. Terribly phrased question. Completely illogical.

I don't know if Tyus is ready, but Lavine sure as hell shouldn't be playing any pg. The frustrating part is we had heard he wouldn't be this year.

There is nothing wrong with Jones' talent level. He is an NBA level talent. He would gain nothing from playing another year in college. He was the best player on the best team in the most important game of the season in college, there isn't much room to go up from there. It's all about his size and athleticism. If he was 6'4" he'd be playing right now. He needs some time to get stronger and faster, as well as develop some skills to accommodate for his lack of size. It will come with age. I bet he's a solid back-up PG in 3 years time or less.

Exactly right. The assumptions being made here are absurd. I don't know if it's bitterness or what but it's completely unfounded. Late 1st round picks are polished at age 19 and if they aren't getting playing time after 3 games they will never be any good. That makes a lot of sense... I guess D'Angelo Russell must be a bust after a few games too because he's shooting only 34% from the field and looks lost. A thread filled with negative overreactions to a player... what a surprise.

Has anyone watched DeAngelo Russell lately? Fans and pundits alike calling him a bust already after 4 games. Other than an NFL QB, being an NBA PG is probably the toughest position to come in and be successful right away. If you watched Tyus in summer league and preseason, the improvement was significant so with due time Tyus will be a solid guard in due time whether that's as a starter or backup. The D-League will certainly be beneficial for him to continue adjusting to the speed at the professional level It can be said that his presence alone, lit a fire under Ricky Rubio to get his act together. If TJ McConnell and Shane Larkin are getting run in this league, most certainly Tyus will be fine.

I know a guy who's clicked into the T'Wolves. He says the thinking on Tyus out of Target Center is that his ceiling is as a good back-up PG in the NBA. They don't ever see him being a starter. They think he can develop over 2-3 years into that type of player, but he's not good enough yet.

Basically the way it was explained to me is you have the guys who are so athletically gifted that they can get by on talent alone for a while (think Levine) & you have the less athletic guys, who get by on experience & out-thinking their opponents (think Rubio). Tyus is the latter, but without the experience and court savvy at this time. My friend said fans who think Tyus is going to be our next PG or should be playing a lot are going to be disappointed.

That said, there was no reason for Tyus to stay at Duke. He got his guaranteed money as a first rounder so he's getting paid to study basketball, which is what he was at Duke for, but without the paycheck. He wasn't going to learn to be more athletic at Duke. The weight room, working on his jumper, learning the tricks a savvy PG needs to know...all that can be done with the Wolves while he gets paid for it.

That said, there was no reason for Tyus to stay at Duke. He got his guaranteed money as a first rounder so he's getting paid to study basketball, which is what he was at Duke for, but without the paycheck. He wasn't going to learn to be more athletic at Duke. The weight room, working on his jumper, learning the tricks a savvy PG needs to know...all that can be done with the Wolves while he gets paid for it.

This is true but limited in perspective. I don't know if Tyus and his family needed money now but I suspect not. If he stays at Duke, he has an opportunity to become an absolute legend/ his own brand (Tyus!) by winning another or a couple national championships. He would still be able to cash NBA checks later.

Normally, I would not argue for a player staying in school but Tyus had a real chance (yes, only a chance) of being a national figure like Lebron. Probably wouldn't have happened but it could have.

I know a guy who's clicked into the T'Wolves. He says the thinking on Tyus out of Target Center is that his ceiling is as a good back-up PG in the NBA. They don't ever see him being a starter. They think he can develop over 2-3 years into that type of player, but he's not good enough yet.

Basically the way it was explained to me is you have the guys who are so athletically gifted that they can get by on talent alone for a while (think Levine) & you have the less athletic guys, who get by on experience & out-thinking their opponents (think Rubio). Tyus is the latter, but without the experience and court savvy at this time. My friend said fans who think Tyus is going to be our next PG or should be playing a lot are going to be disappointed.

That's basically what most said about him. for the NBA not a high level athlete but basically has all the mental tools and skills to play PG in the league. His moderate athleticism and lack of size means he'll likely never be a night in and night out starting PG (unless he develops into some type of great shooter) which is why he was a later 1st round pick. After the top 10 you're just really hoping for a solid rotation player and maybe future starter.

That's basically what most said about him. for the NBA not a high level athlete but basically has all the mental tools and skills to play PG in the league. His moderate athleticism and lack of size means he'll likely never be a night in and night out starting PG (unless he develops into some type of great shooter) which is why he was a later 1st round pick. After the top 10 you're just really hoping for a solid rotation player and maybe future starter.

Yep. The thinking is that the Wolves will have two very smart pg's on the squad. Flip knew Tyus wasn't going to be ready this year-that is why Miller was brought in. Sam Mitchell and co. feel the need to get LaVine as many minutes as possible and that means is has to be at the PG. This is why no Miller and Jones yet.

Tyus was physically weak for a college PG and had trouble scoring at the rim.

Not really surprised that his skill set doesn't translate to the NBA.

Yep. The thinking is that the Wolves will have two very smart pg's on the squad. Flip knew Tyus wasn't going to be ready this year-that is why Miller was brought in. Sam Mitchell and co. feel the need to get LaVine as many minutes as possible and that means is has to be at the PG. This is why no Miller and Jones yet.

Correct. Jones may not be an off the charts athlete but he has world class court vision and basketball skills and he can shoot. He will be fine.

Correct. Jones may not be an off the charts athlete but he has world class court vision and basketball skills and he can shoot. He will be fine.

Incredibly clutch, savvy, heady player but not convinced he's long for the NBA. If he carves out a 5-6 year NBA career primarily as a backup PG, I think Tyus has done very well for himself. For the Timberwolves sake, I hope he's the next John Stockton or Steve Nash.

Top Bottom