Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait to see them not win a title.*

*I always cheer against Duke so don't take that as a slam against Tyus.

Tyus went to Duke, which is a (swallowing) a better basketball school, better academic school, and has better weather than the U of M. No reason at all to blame him. Although I have no reason to root for him.
At least his decision isn't completely puzzling like the RTs was, picking a school that isn't even a good basketball program when he has a clear shot at making the NBA. I would like to know if any of the former big 3 know how loyal and huge of a fanbase they'd have here in MN?! Oh well... Tyus' recruitment process was carried out in a classy way at least.

This is garbage. If a kid wants to have some fun with his collegiate announcement, he should. The only problem with it is the overblown reaction it creates from grown men such as yourself.

Might want to check my previous few posts defending Tyus and others who make these type of announcements. I'm all for them having fun with the decision but picking up another team's hat just to put it down and put on another is bush league.

Again, I'm not even sure that it was intentional by Alexander.

Might want to check my previous few posts defending Tyus and others who make these type of announcements. I'm all for them having fun with the decision but picking up another team's hat just to put it down and put on another is bush league.

Again, I'm not even sure that it was intentional by Alexander.

Used to be common practice a few years back.

Eh, they're still pretty upset about it and I don't blame them one bit.

Some quotes from the thread:

This is the worst single day in the history of Illinois b'ball recruiting.

I look forward to Cliff and his Dad being greeters at the Walmart in Lawrence after his career flames out. Maybe they can wear matching sunglasses.

And it appears that Groce and the UI staff were told that Cliff was coming here by a family member. So that was just as gut-wrenching for them. What a DB.

What a d-bag. That is all.

Oh good god! I'm so sick of hearing this. I'm 18 and think that move was immature. This whole recruitment was pathetic, childish and criminal on his part. Pitiful.

I like to think I push a lot of things under the "these are just 17-18 year olds" umbrella, but that seemed childish even for a 17-18 year old.

I'm 18 and have the maturity to not do that in front of a live ESPN audience. The "just a kid" saying doesn't work anymore. You should have the decency to not disrespect the University of Illinois like that. sheesh

Completely agree. The "he's just a kid" slogan does not apply to what he did. Completely disrespectful and classless move

Those last few are for anyone saying, "He's a 17/18 year old kid, you can't expect him to be mature about it, and it's pathetic to be upset when a recruit chooses a school other than the one you cheer for." Fellow 17/18 year olds are calling it classless and unnecessary.

At the end of the day, most of these "elite" recruits are attention whores. And the media loves it because it gives something else to report and analyze until the next thing comes along. Don't know if Tyus or Alexander are good kids or not. Doesn't really matter because it's a pretty good bet they love all the attention they get for being able to put a ball through a hoop. It's just the way this process is. The kids literally think that the world revolves around them. Otherwise, there really isn't a good reason to have some press conference announcing a commitment. And, yes, that goes for Gopher commitments as well

I'm actually fine with Tyus going to Duke. I now have zero desire to root for him. As with Reid, I have no personal animosity towards him, but I also reject the notion that we must root for him to do well because he's 'one of us.'

I'm actually fine with Tyus going to Duke. I now have zero desire to root for him. As with Reid, I have no personal animosity towards him, but I also reject the notion that we must root for him to do well because he's 'one of us.'

Yep. The worse Minnesota recruits do on the national scene (besides the ones who play for the Gophers), the less likely future big time programs are to recruit here.

This is garbage. If a kid wants to have some fun with his collegiate announcement, he should. The only problem with it is the overblown reaction it creates from grown men such as yourself.
Fun ? I think Tyus is having plenty of fun. Poor kid how dare anyone say a bad word about him. On to Duke and time to kill this thread. Maybe he can be the second best Minnesota kid to play there after Nick Horvath. I hope his little brother isn't too good I'm sick of hearing from Debbie Jones.

Picks the path of least resistance. I'm disappointed that he didn't care to challenge himself, but instead went the extremely easy route.

What's he going to do when his blankie leaves next March and he's not good enough to follow?

In all seriousness, Good luck to him. Can't fault someone for doing what they feel is best for them. I thought they would go to Kansas, as they do a vastly better job at developing talent (especially big men), are closer to home, and aren't the most mocked team in the country. I still think their safety net, clique mentality doesn't bode well for the mental maturity they will need for the mocking and scrutiny they will face.

No matter what happens at Duke, there is 0% chance that he'll be my most hated Dookie ever. Nobody, and I mean nobody, out-pricks Laettner.

I would have been ecstatic if Tyus and Reid had committed to Minnesota, and I still hope and pray that we get Rashad, but I take some comfort in something Clem Haskins used to say. It was something to the effect that he would rather have coachable recruits who would stay with the program for four years than an elite recruit who would be one and done.

Thank you and it is over.

Kill the thread.
Lighten up. I'm just saying that I'm a much bigger Nate Mason fan at this point. If u want to cheer for Tyus and Duke knock yourself out.

Lighten up. I'm just saying that I'm a much bigger Nate Mason fan at this point. If u want to cheer for Tyus and Duke knock yourself out.

Ditto...Tyus means nothing to me moving forward and let's cheer for the guys that want to be here. Very excited for Nate!

Ugly hat.

Apple_Valley_Point_Guard_Tyus_Jones_Chooses_Duke_University-syndImport-033529.jpg

Uglier face

May have gone too far here. I don't care for Tyus either, but insulting him personally isn't cool.
Hopefully we will get the right guys here for the final '14 recruit and the '15 recruits.

May have gone too far here. I don't care for Tyus either, but insulting him personally isn't cool.
Hopefully we will get the right guys here for the final '14 recruit and the '15 recruits.

May have? Some of the people on here are just classless and childish. How big of a loser do you have to be to call a teenager ugly?

May have? Some of the people on here are just classless and childish. How big of a loser do you have to be to call a teenager ugly?
It is what it is. I'm sure Tyus does just fine. Anthony Davis took an abnormality and turned it to his favor.

Picks the path of least resistance.

Yeah. Some people choose to take the path of least resistance, while others would prefer to walk the road less traveled. Those are each fundamental and valid aspects of human nature, so you can't really fault a person (or at least I can't) for simply being who they are and choosing the course they wish to take.

Anyhow, not the least bit upset nor bothered by this, but rather just simply looking forward to the future of our own Gophers, and that future, I feel, is exceptionally bright.

Picks the path of least resistance. I'm disappointed that he didn't care to challenge himself, but instead went the extremely easy route.

Great point. Playing for the winningest coach in college basketball history? No challenge there. Packaging yourself with the nation's number one recruit who's a one and done to win a national title against the likes of Kansas and Kentucky? No challenge there. It's not like every opponent treats your game like their national championship. No challenge there.

Just look at Jabari Parker...instead of playing in front of every NBA GM on national tv at the united center against Kansas he could've been playing Montana in front of a 3/4 filled Williams Arena with the game being streamed online. Now that's a challenge (to stay interested)!

I just don't understand why these kids wouldn't want to play for some of the Gopher "fans" on this message board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom