Tyler Nubin - All American Award lists....

So are DBs generally graded on pure coverage stats?

I ask because... well I don't want to talk down Nubin but I felt like this year I saw a notable amount of odd routes to the runner resulting in missed tackles where in past years he could be counted on to pick the right angle and so on. Granted it wasn't just Nubin out there doing that, I wonder if he was "trying to do too much" or something like that.

So are DBs generally graded on pure coverage stats?

I ask because... well I don't want to talk down Nubin but I felt like this year I saw a notable amount of odd routes to the runner resulting in missed tackles where in past years he could be counted on to pick the right angle and so on. Granted it wasn't just Nubin out there doing that, I wonder if he was "trying to do too much" or something like that.
I didn't watch that closely and analyze film or anything like that, but I have the same iimpression as you. Still very good, but just a few odd angles.

Why was Tyler Nubin considered a 3rd round prospect at best last year and he wasn't cited for a lot of heavy hitter awards like this?

Then he gets a couple first round grades in mock drafts this offseason and becomes a shoo-in first rounder, 1st team All-American, 1st team all-Big Ten guy in a year when the Gophers started getting beat in the secondary and beat deep a lot. Those awards are really hard to get out of Minnesota in an up year, let alone a down year.

Was he deeply underrated in prior seasons, overrated now, or I'm just not watching enough All-22 film?

Why was Tyler Nubin considered a 3rd round prospect at best last year and he wasn't cited for a lot of heavy hitter awards like this?

Then he gets a couple first round grades in mock drafts this offseason and becomes a shoo-in first rounder, 1st team All-American, 1st team all-Big Ten guy in a year when the Gophers started getting beat in the secondary and beat deep a lot. Those awards are really hard to get out of Minnesota in an up year, let alone a down year.

Was he deeply underrated in prior seasons, overrated now, or I'm just not watching enough All-22 film?
I feel like what we hear about NFL grading and anonymous scout reports have become ... gamified ... especially this year.

I've seen a few weird articles about random college player returning announcements (nothing new, especially now) but then wrapped in some really funky anonymous quotes like "some scouts have been giving him first round draft pick grades" and such ... for players who straight up is not getting any attention for that outside some suspicious articles. Others listing guys as "not going to the nfl this year" for guys who ... uh dude you're not going.

Like not everything is shenanigans, but something is up with the volume of straight nonsense NFL draft talk out there. It has gotten very weird.

I think Nubin is very good and can play in the NFL, but overall the whole world of NFL draft prospect news has gotten really muddy and weird at times.

I think people underestimate the impact of the defensive backs we've had over the past few years. A number of them have found spots on NFL teams where they are seeing pretty decent playing time. What I mean is that.....Nubin hasn't had the supporting cast that we've had recently....and it certainly made him look a bit worse than he truly is. The folks putting these lists together aren't giving him props for no reason at all.

I feel like what we hear about NFL grading and anonymous scout reports have become ... gamified ... especially this year.

I've seen a few weird articles about random college player returning announcements (nothing new, especially now) but then wrapped in some really funky anonymous quotes like "some scouts have been giving him first round draft pick grades" and such ... for players who straight up is not getting any attention for that outside some suspicious articles. Others listing guys as "not going to the nfl this year" for guys who ... uh dude you're not going.

Like not everything is shenanigans, but something is up with the volume of straight nonsense NFL draft talk out there. It has gotten very weird.

I think Nubin is very good and can play in the NFL, but overall the whole world of NFL draft prospect news has gotten really muddy and weird at times.
I've seen mock drafts with Nubin as high as 14th, and that would make him the highest drafted Gopher of the common draft era. No Gopher has been drafted higher than 18th (Darrell Thompson) since the AFL/NFL merger. His average spot is 21st.

I like Tyler a lot and think he will be a good pro, but is he the best prospect I've ever seen in M&G? Dunno about that.

I've seen mock drafts with Nubin as high as 14th, and that would make him the highest drafted Gopher of the common draft era. No Gopher has been drafted higher than 18th (Darrell Thompson) since the AFL/NFL merger. His average spot is 21st.

I like Tyler a lot and think he will be a good pro, but is he the best prospect I've ever seen in M&G? Dunno about that.
Memory can be unreliable and there are other factors like who is also out there, but it seems to me AWjr was a better player. I don't remember him taking a bad angle or seeming to get beat like Tyler this year.

Hope Perich is paying attention while out visiting other schools
100%. I know USC and OSU produce DBs too, but like Stocker said below, MN has pumped out some good ones the past few years, so if staying home is even a little bit important to Perich, you’d think it helps to have produced AWjr, Howden, Smith, St. Juste, Williamson, Nubin, etc.

Some considered him a possible second-round pick last year, but I'll admit I don't know the consensus view of him. I just know the PFF has been high on him for the last couple of years. Great size. I imagine we'll have to wait for the combine to see how fast he is. He runs well and he's a first-rounder. Gone by the end of Day 2 if his speed doesn't show out.

There were times this year I thought he was playing for the highlight hit and that may have put him out of position a couple of times.

the quality of the rest of the secondary was so much worse this year that I don't put those breakdowns on Nubin. Having Walley, T Smith, Howden, Nubin, Beanie Bishop, Flip Dixon, et al was an all time secondary. They did a poor job replacing that crew and it left Nubin trying to cover for a lot of mistakes.

Nubin has been pretty durable as well which is huge and eliminates the question market that AWJr had entering the draft. The only games I recall him missing are the last two last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him opt out of the Detroit bowl this year.

CBS has him #27 to the Cowboys:

SI has him #62 to the 49ers:

USA Today has him #31 to the Dolphins (and has the Vikes taking Heisman favorite, Jayden Daniels):

Walter Football has him #43 to the Chargers:

Memory can be unreliable and there are other factors like who is also out there, but it seems to me AWjr was a better player. I don't remember him taking a bad angle or seeming to get beat like Tyler this year.
If Winfield was two or three inches taller, he likely would have been a top 10, top 20 at worst, draft pick!

We won't know on the speed/strength comparisons that the pros seem to salivate over until Nubin tests at the combine. I agree that Winfield, Jr., was the better college player. Winfield just has those qualities you just can't teach (anticipation, feel). The pros are a different animal and Nubin's size advantage over Winfield, Jr., means a lot to the pros. If Nubin is drafted higher than Winfield, Jr., the size difference will likely contribute to that judgment.

We won't know on the speed/strength comparisons that the pros seem to salivate over until Nubin tests at the combine. I agree that Winfield, Jr., was the better college player. Winfield just has those qualities you just can't teach (anticipation, feel). The pros are a different animal and Nubin's size advantage over Winfield, Jr., means a lot to the pros. If Nubin is drafted higher than Winfield, Jr., the size difference will likely contribute to that judgment.
I totally agree there. Size and measureables would be the difference. I thought Winfield was a much better college player than Nubin, but Nubin does look like a NFL player out there.

Nubin made the Walter Camp second team AA this evening. The Camp team is the first to announce of the five teams currently used by the NCAA to determine consensus AA.

the quality of the rest of the secondary was so much worse this year that I don't put those breakdowns on Nubin. Having Walley, T Smith, Howden, Nubin, Beanie Bishop, Flip Dixon, et al was an all time secondary. They did a poor job replacing that crew and it left Nubin trying to cover for a lot of mistakes.
This^^.
Many of the times it looked like Nubin was out of position it was because someone else failed to do their job.

Won’t forget the time Nubin got fried on the last second Illinois Hail Mary. What was he thinking? Overrated In my opinion.

Top Bottom