Two QBs Going Forward?

Yep, that's on him. It had nothing to do with the fact that 80% of his throws were on third and long with bad receivers, against one of the best defensive backfields in the country under constant pressure. Given the situation, he played decent.

Did you notice that every reception we had today, the guy was pretty covered? You think maybe on those throws when he threw the ball away that was actually our best choice?
BOOM

TM2 may be a better QB right now. Maybe. Likely. I don't see a big drop-off to AK8 tho. Tom Brady would struggle with this OL and WR core. I say get AK8 alot of snaps the rest of the year - but I don't see TM2 being benched - nor should he be, really. I would play them both.

TM2 may be a better QB right now. Maybe. Likely. I don't see a big drop-off to AK8 tho. Tom Brady would struggle with this OL and WR core. I say get AK8 alot of snaps the rest of the year - but I don't see TM2 being benched - nor should he be, really. I would play them both.
No one before, and probably after, has started more games for Minnesota than Morgan. He did very well and left his mark. There is nothing further to be gained going forward by playing Morgan if AK gives us a better or even equal chance to win.

Based on his rookie debut last night, I'd say he gives us the better chance based on mobility and a stronger arm.

I’d agree with starting AK in games and stop supporting TM. TM already has all the UMN’s QB records, he’s not going to play on Sundays, why are we going to still play and develop him? Don’t even give me “he’ll give us the best chance to win” defense! Nah bro, he won’t!

Start developing AK and let’s get this kid some experiences while we have Mo and Schmidt and hopefully some wins!

We gonna suck next couple of years with all of our younger players. No O line, no WRs, no DL, no LBs, some great young commits coming in but won’t have much veteran experiences.

So much for the “Encore 4”
You’re seriously ripping on those 4???? JMS is the best center in college football. Mo is our whole offense. CRAB got hurt. Tanner is who he is but you couldn’t ask for a better teammate/person. Geez. Go cheer for the Hawkeyes. SMH

Morgan came back to help us win the West. That is no longer the goal. The goal now is beat IA and beat WI and create excellence for the future. I love Morgan and am so thankful for what he brings the program. If he wants to coach, sharing duties with AK8 will be good for him and for the team. It gives us the best chance to win against the teams we need to and set us up for future success. AK8 is going to be special if we let him develop. He showed the arm strength and touch to demonstrate he can make all the throws. If I was a WR watching that video, I would want to transfer to MN.

I think a strong case could be made for playing them both but will be shocked if it happens. Just not Fleck's style. If healthy I fully expect to see Morgan under center for the majority of the remaining snaps this season.

Every time there was pressure he was bailing from pocket and throwing away vs stepping up and making decent throw
We are going to be just fine with 8 at qb1 next year. The receivers need to get better and does part of the line.

Game 1 … Those receivers, that offensive line, throwing on third and long only to begin, that truly hostile atmosphere..:AK was by far the most optimistic thing I have seen for 2023. He’s our best player coming back on offense! He can be very good!
Curious, who would be our 2nd best player returning? He could use some help!
Not picking on your remarks, but yours seems typical of phase 1 of fan appreciation for a Gopher (maybe all) quarterbacks. The one we haven't seen, or just seen for a few plays, is the best one. After a few games, the honeymoon with the fans ends and before much longer, he can't hit open receivers, underthrows everyone, overthrows everyone, isn't athletic, can't read defenses, and isn't a team leader. Makes me wonder why anyone would ever want to be a QB. I'm grateful for every player who chooses to play for UM. Most of the most sought-after don't.

Oh, and what makes you sure he'll be back? If this season continues to spiral down, I'd expect many Gopher underclassmen to seek other schools.

You’re seriously ripping on those 4???? JMS is the best center in college football. Mo is our whole offense. CRAB got hurt. Tanner is who he is but you couldn’t ask for a better teammate/person. Geez. Go cheer for the Hawkeyes. SMH
No, no, no…not ripping on the 4! They’re great men! I’m just saying our season isn’t unfolding like we all had hoped with them 4….well…3 (CrAB out)…..OK, 2.5 (TM being the 0.5).

Therefore…”So much for them Encore 4” statement.

I’d say the jury is out on who gives the team the best chance to win the rest of the year but we all have some emotional investment here. Time will tell. Tanner has shown during his career he is an accurate passer capable of great touch and placement. The problem the team seems to have this year is protection issues, receiver issues, and a QB that isn’t that quick to extend plays. AK isn’t elite level quick either, but is probably a a little more elusive and better runner overall. He escaped a near sack last night that probably would have dropped Morgan.

Game 1 … Those receivers, that offensive line, throwing on third and long only to begin, that truly hostile atmosphere..:AK was by far the most optimistic thing I have seen for 2023. He’s our best player coming back on offense! He can be very good!
Curious, who would be our 2nd best player returning? He could use some help!
There have been countless players who were noticably bad and got better. 55 was my favorite bad player when he first started. Late reaction, bad angles etc. He looked completely lost at times. Sam Schlueter was another who many out here hammered weekly. There are others who, when the opportunity presented itself, stepped on and performed. Gophs had two RBs last year who did just that in relief of Potts, who stepped up in relief of Mo.

I’d say the jury is out on who gives the team the best chance to win the rest of the year but we all have some emotional investment here. Time will tell. Tanner has shown during his career he is an accurate passer capable of great touch and placement. The problem the team seems to have this year is protection issues, receiver issues, and a QB that isn’t that quick to extend plays. AK isn’t elite level quick either, but is probably a a little more elusive and better runner overall. He escaped a near sack last night that probably would have dropped Morgan.
AK showed me enough trying to extend plays yesterday to know he has that awareness and ability. Love Tanner but he has not shown that to me. Much more athletic compared to Morgan.

There have been countless players who were noticably bad and got better. 55 was my favorite bad player when he first started. Late reaction, bad angles etc. He looked completely lost at times. Sam Schlueter was another who many out here hammered weekly. There are others who, when the opportunity presented itself, stepped on and performed. Gophs had two RBs last year who did just that in relief of Potts, who stepped up in relief of Mo.
If you were scheming a pass defense would you rely on Sori-Marin to cover a tight end 20 yards or so up the middle of the field? That is crazy. I don't blame 55 for getting burned twice for TDs. He can't cover that and should never be placed in that position.

Where were the safeties?

If you were scheming a pass defense would you rely on Sori-Marin to cover a tight end 20 yards or so up the middle of the field? That is crazy. I don't blame 55 for getting burned twice for TDs. He can't cover that and should never be placed in that position.

Where were the safeties?
I feel like you missed the point of my post.

I feel like you missed the point of my post.
Didn't miss your point, just had something I was more interested in addressing than reminiscing about Ky and Bucky and how bad Mariano looked in 2020.

In general our teams seem to lack pre-season All Big Ten candidates. But come on...we have nobody anybody is going to rave about offensively pre season. If a guy who has played one game at QB is our best pick to splash next season...that's not good. Especially, when a few on the board were complaining he is terrible and we need to hit the transfer portal for his replacement...point being in year 6 we don't seem to have built much.
And another guy is saying the good underclassmen will transfer because we are bad.
We have 120 guys...they'll field a team and absolutely odds are somebody will step up and impress. It'd be nice if that guy wasn't the best player on the team by default for doing so.

Not picking on your remarks, but yours seems typical of phase 1 of fan appreciation for a Gopher (maybe all) quarterbacks. The one we haven't seen, or just seen for a few plays, is the best one. After a few games, the honeymoon with the fans ends and before much longer, he can't hit open receivers, underthrows everyone, overthrows everyone, isn't athletic, can't read defenses, and isn't a team leader. Makes me wonder why anyone would ever want to be a QB. I'm grateful for every player who chooses to play for UM. Most of the most sought-after don't.

Oh, and what makes you sure he'll be back? If this season continues to spiral down, I'd expect many Gopher underclassmen to seek other schools.
Let's see...you start off with please don't be offended because I think you are incapable of anything resembling evaluation of quarterbacks. Or rational thoughts.
You leap to the conclusion I always prefer the backup. Keep in mind I made no comments about Tanner.
You take my optimism and turn it into pessimism.
You profess how grateful you are for Gopher players as our one true fan.
AND then you suggest our underclassmen will all transfer because we are going to stink.
That's some twisted, convoluted, irrational logic you got going there good buddy.

No one before, and probably after, has started more games for Minnesota than Morgan.
Conner Olson has started more football games than any player in the history of the Big Ten.

As to the topic of this thread - at every position, especially QB, you start the player who gives you the best chance to win the game. I don't know the answer to that question at QB, and though it could be the guy with one career start, I suspect that it isn't. This isn't the NFL where losing will help us have a better draft choice. Speaking of the NFL, Morgan has zero chance of ever playing there, but fortunately for the Gophers, we don't play in the NFL - and thus his NFL potential has zero bearing on our ability to win games against Big Ten opponents.

I watched the game on TV and the producers repeatedly showed AK's very excited family sitting in the visitor's section.
If Morgan is cleared and starts the remaining games and the results are similar to the ILL and Purdue games it is the realm of possibility that AK and his family feel that they are being treated unfairly and AK heads to the transfer portal.
The RB who left for OR is in a much better situation than if he had stayed at MN and would AK see an offense next year with no improvement in the OL, WRs, and no stud RB and decide to leave?

AK needs a lot of seasoning ,which he was denied in our early blowout wins. Tanner was 4 of 12 last week and has been inept in some of our losses over the past two seasons. If he's faltering, I'd like to see more of AK, who can run a bit, got things going with two receivers today, and has more natural ability that Morgan.
Just a random thought. Why not use him in a few downs/ series like Kramer at Wildcat was used?

Bringing back Morgan and Ibrahim was the worst possible thing for this mediocre team. Why would you compound that mistake by playing Morgan after the season is essentially finished?

Let Morgan start his future as a coach…cuz it ain’t going to continue as a player.
Mo is by far our best back and it's not close. The fact that Williams and Potts still get snaps is the real issue.

Morgan is a serviceable QB that has hit his ceiling. Time to play two QB's and ride the hot hand to get the best results possible.

I watched the game on TV and the producers repeatedly showed AK's very excited family sitting in the visitor's section.
If Morgan is cleared and starts the remaining games and the results are similar to the ILL and Purdue games it is the realm of possibility that AK and his family feel that they are being treated unfairly and AK heads to the transfer portal.
The RB who left for OR is in a much better situation than if he had stayed at MN and would AK see an offense next year with no improvement in the OL, WRs, and no stud RB and decide to leave?
Hmmm, I don't see it. It would seem that he will be a clear front runner to be a starting B1G QB next year. That is nothing to sneeze away.

Top Bottom