Tweet: NYC bowl game, band gets 1 night housing then late flight home, arriving 2am to MN winter & closed dorms. The level of CHEAP is mind boggling.

How are dorms closed? Unless they are just closed for the holidays which I don’t think is a thing.
You aren't allowed to live in the dorms over winter break, at least that was the policy 20 years ago when I worked in Housing at the U

Was the band given the option to back out if they didn't like the proposal? It is an unfortunate situation where I would support a smaller band for something like this. Perhaps the band could have given an option due to the economic situation. Go large and have a quick trip or go smaller and allow the smaller band to hang out for a couple days. Not sure how they would pick the ones to go on the smaller band though.

How are dorms closed? Unless they are just closed for the holidays which I don’t think is a thing.
They are in fact closed. Students had to be out within 24 hours of their last final.

I think they bused it to the Citrus bowl....one option could be a smaller travel band for these bowls.
Nope, band flew to the Citrus bowl. They bussed to the quick lane bowl in Detroit.

The dorms were closed during winter when I was at the U. I believe you had to apply to be able to stay during the winter.

Because it’s holiday break for almost a month. Many go home for break. Who cares if the band doesn’t perform at Yankee stadium for an 8-4 team? Ridiculous waste of money.
You're a mean one, Mr Grinch.

Attachments

• MV5BMjEyMzg5NTUyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTI0MzU2MzE@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BMjEyMzg5NTUyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTI0MzU2MzE@._V1_.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 1

You should have learned basic spelling instead of being a jock and peaking in high school.
I probably peaked in most athletics before highschool... but I digress...

You should probably not get all bent out of shape over someone else's opinion on a message board... Especially when it's meant as sarcasm... Foosball is a waterboy reference in case you missed it ..

And I live in Appalachia... Ebonics, spelling, and verbal communication is different here... Not a soul cares how shit is spelled and verbalized.. you just make due and figure it out... We simple folk...

Is the UM budget public? Would be interesting to see how much is spent on admin and how much that admin cost has risen over the past, say ten years.

So the band is getting a paid-for trip to the bowl game, and this person is angry because they don’t like the terms? So pay for your band kid to stay longer. But I suppose that would be more difficult and less public than complaining on the Twitters. Good grief, the one thing Twitter is good for is making a public forum for people to complain in.

In essence, get rid of the Pintstripe bowl. It was a lousy idea anyway and the sight lines playing at frozen yankee stadium from home plate to center field suck anyway.

IF they're gonna have a bowl in the NYC area, have it at Metlife Stadium in Jersey, better hotel options and an actual football stadium. If not, move it to a place that deserves a bowl game, like Indy or even better US Bank Stadium.
I know...the cold, but Minneapolis does a great job hosting cold weather events and makes them fun for out-of-towners, a la the Super Bowl and Final Four.
(Just need to bump up security measures at the MOA to stop the gang banging thugs from turning it into a battlefield)

So the band is getting a paid-for trip to the bowl game, and this person is angry because they don’t like the terms? So pay for your band kid to stay longer. But I suppose that would be more difficult and less public than complaining on the Twitters. Good grief, the one thing Twitter is good for is making a public forum for people to complain in.

This is where I'm at. Don't get me wrong....I love the band at the games. But the band isn't getting invited to the bowls. It's the football team. They won at least six games and the band gets to tag along. Don't like it? Don't go.

I will say that one night does seem a little silly. I'd think at least two so that the members that go could at least do a few activities.

The lady tweeting about the U being cheap....should stay away from mirrors or else she's going to see 'lazy'. This sounds a lot like she's mad that she might have to pick up her kid from the airport or the school in the middle of the night. If it's that big of a burden....tell them not to go.

Bo Schembechler used to bitch that they (I think the athletic dept) were paying for more band members than football players to go the the Rose Bowl. I believe that the band members should go. They work hard and are probably the only students were are sure to show up at home games. The band plays at the game and is a part of the game atmosphere. If you want to see the whole picture check and see how many U administrators and their spouses/partners are fully funded to attend the game and festivities.

The Pinstripe bowl should pay for both teams bands.
The Pinstripe Bowl is already paying $2.2 Million per school for the Bowl. It's up to the Big 10/Minnesota as to how much they want to chip off those funds to allocate for the marching band.

Sometimes "Thank You" is the correct answer.

As a related aside, Kiddo has a friend from HS in the Band who indeed has expressed some dissatisfaction with the arrangements or lack thereof. Anecdotal at best but it's one data point that it's not only parents expressing "disappointment."

Seeing how my buddy and I attended the 1982 Sugar Bowl on a lark...literally at 10 PM on New Years Eve said "let's go to the game"...and then drove from Athens to New Orleans overnight...arrived around 10 AM, purchased two tix on Bourbon Street, and partied, went to the game, and then turned around for the drive back...not a dissimilar itinerary from the Pinstripe bowl in a couple of days.

Our trip was a flash but certainly fun. The same can be for the Band this time too if you just embrace the moment.

Sometimes "Thank You" is the correct answer.

As a related aside, Kiddo has a friend from HS in the Band who indeed has expressed some dissatisfaction with the arrangements or lack thereof. Anecdotal at best but it's one data point that it's not only parents expressing "disappointment."

Seeing how my buddy and I attended the 1982 Sugar Bowl on a lark...literally at 10 PM on New Years Eve said "let's go to the game"...and then drove from Athens to New Orleans overnight...arrived around 10 AM, purchased two tix on Bourbon Street, and partied, went to the game, and then turned around for the drive back...not a dissimilar itinerary from the Pinstripe bowl in a couple of days.

Our trip was a flash but certainly fun. The same can be for the Band this time too if you just embrace the moment.

You have the right attitude! Sounds like a potentially fun adventure and those can be the best memories. Carpe diem….

I love the atmosphere the band brings. You think some of the money could get sent that way. Kind of stinks that there are scholarships for guys with 400k a year NIL deals, but we scrimp to get the band there to play the rouser.

I love the atmosphere the band brings. You think some of the money could get sent that way. Kind of stinks that there are scholarships for guys with 400k a year NIL deals, but we scrimp to get the band there to play the rouser.

I believe I read the band is being flown and housed. I think the angst is more along the line of some wanted a longer vacation and better flight times. It’s rough!

Top Bottom