Tubby's 2010 recruiting

Very true...

plus Jerrance is an Illinois guy, bleeds orange and blue. Webster is a Purdue guy. Jerrance has a charisma that Webster does not have with kids.

Very happy with that trade. :)

You are the one that sees it, so give one example.

I'll give several.

The ALL-TIME record for consecutive 20+ W seasons is held by Dean Smith. Lute Olson is next. Then Tubby Smith in 3rd place ALL-TIME. Tubby is #1 on the active list in that category ahead of Coach K and Jim Boeheim.

Most W in his first 17 seasons - Roy Williams, Denny Crum, Jim Boeheim, Nolan Richardson. Then Tubby Smith is 5th ALL-TIME in that category. Trailing behind Tubby are Jerry Tarkanian, John Thompson, and Rick Pitino. Only 6 have 400+ W in first 17 seasons - the top 5 and Tarkanian.

Tubby ranks 10th among active coaches (10+ years of experience) in best career W-L (%) record. He ranks 8th among active coaches in career W-L (%) record in NCAA tourney games.

Tubby is one of 4 active coaches to take 3 different teams to NCAA Sweet 16. Minnesota will be his 4th (when that happens). That will be a first (ever).

Tubby ranks 5th (ever) behind Dean Smith, Lute Olson, Roy Williams, and Bobby Knight in CONSECUTIVE NCAA tourney appearances.

Sound like a coach who will be fired in 2012? Or one who destroyed a program (UK) by matching or beating its historical achievements in almost every category?

Or does it sound like something else? Trust me, it's something else. Doyel is a bigot, no doubt.

FOT I must say..........

that I for one love it when you lay on the Tubby career stats. I believe that as long as his heart stays in it, he will be a great coach and we are very fortunate to have him.

Any FOT's if a FO:)

According to Combes
that is a given. But part of being a head coach is hiring good assistants.

Much of the criticism accorded to Tubby at his previous employment was that his assistants were not doing the job and that Tubby was too loyal to replace them. Haven't heard much complaining here about coaches Taylor, Jirsa or S Smith. Can we assume that Maturi specified that Tubby not bring his assistants to Minnesota but rather hire better ones as a condition of his hiring at UMinn?

Top Bottom