Tubby Smith doesn't close the door on Royce White returning to the Gophers next seaso

Blizzard

Reaction score
Can I just go on the record now and say that after the GD circus this year that I don't think this is a good idea.

Freshman basketball player Royce White asked for his release this week from the University of Minnesota, but his future with the program might not be over, Gophers coach Tubby Smith said today.

Smith said after practice today that he likes White and would be willing to talk with him about returning to the team next season. The former Hopkins High School star said he would be withdrawing from school, because of his frustration over being charged with three counts of misdemeanor trespassing. After pleading not guilty to the charges Monday, White requested and was granted a release from his scholarship Wednesday.

"You never say never," Smith said. "On the court, in individual workouts in the preseason, he did everything we asked him to do. He just has to get other areas of his life together. You never close the door on anyone. That's just the way life is. We wish him the best in getting his life together. If there's a situation where he could return, I would be willing to talk to him about it."

White said he hadn't felt safe on campus since being named a suspect in the theft of a laptop from Territorial Hall on Nov. 7, but he was never charged with theft. He practiced briefly with the Gophers, but he has not played this season. Smith suspended him indefinitely after a shoplifting incident at Macy's at the Mall of America on Oct. 31.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14341534?nclick_check=1

I don't understand this. I thought Tubby was the ultimate "TEAM" coach. Why is he risking that reputation for the ultimate "ME" player?

My hope for Mr. White

My hope for Mr. White is that he signs with an agent ASAP so he can show the professional basketball world how great he really is.

:rolleyes:

I don't know if my heart can handle 9 more months of this.

I'm actually good with this. My wish is that we hear nothing further- unless there is a surprise announcement this summer that White is returning.

Tubby is doing a couple of things here:

1. This is a sensitive recruiting issue. Tubby needs locals and future recruits to know that he is an advocate for the athletes he recruits. By putting this out there he shows that he is not stiff arming White.

2. He is essentially alerting White not to make a stupid move and lose his eligibility by signing with an agent, and that there is a possiblity for a second chance here if things are set right again.

It's a good move both PR wise and for White's benefit.

I don't understand this. I thought Tubby was the ultimate "TEAM" coach. Why is he risking that reputation for the ultimate "ME" player?

I think it's because Tubby does like Royce and he sees potential in him and wants to help get his life together. Also, it is a business after all and having Royce on the team would help win games greatly. He didn't guarantee that he would be back on the team if Royce wants to though, he said he would be open to talking about it. I'm sure if he doesn't like Royce's attitude and/or more legal stuff is lingering he would shut the door on the possibility.

Oh God Help Me

Ok .. that's my initial reaction. I'm starting to play devils advocate with myself. Scary thought.

There were a number of people that initally said that after the shoplifting incident they felt Royce should redshirt, take a year, and get himself together.

Now after what's done is done how do those people feel if, essentially, in a roundabout way, that's what we'll get?

Someone stop me. Please.

He just says he's open to the possibility of talking to Royce about returning IF a lot of stuff changes. I have no problem with giving people second chances, I mean 10th chances, if the situation is right. As badly as Royce has messed up over and over, I kind of like that Tubby isn't willing to just give up on an 18 year old regardless of what might change.

I'll be honest though, I just really want to see Royce on our team for I guess probably not all the right reasons, and if Royce were say, a 2* player, I would say he should've been gone a while ago. It may not be right, but I can't help but think that way.

Remember Generalissimo Franco and how he just wouldn't die? Might be dating myself, but one of the better Saturday Night Live gags. Royce might be the Gopher basketball version of Franco.

bga

I'm actually good with this. My wish is that we hear nothing further- unless there is a surprise announcement this summer that White is returning.

1. This is a sensitive recruiting issue. Tubby needs locals and future recruits to know that he is an advocate for the athletes he recruits. By putting this out there he shows that he is not stiff arming White.

2. He is essentially alerting White not to make a stupid move and lose his eligibility by signing with an agent, and that there is a possiblity for a second chance here if things are set right again.

I am begging him, for the sake of professional basketball, please, sign with an agent immediately.

Remember Generalissimo Franco and how he just wouldn't die? Might be dating myself, but one of the better Saturday Night Live gags. Royce might be the Gopher basketball version of Franco.

If people weren't aware Hulu.com has a comprehensive set of clips from Saturday Night Live, and a lot of other shows, especially these from SNL season 1.

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=saturday+night+live+season+1&st=0

It just never lived up to the bar that the originals set. What a classic show.

The key words are..."never say never"... and if I made add..."Almost never say always". We are dealing with things far and above what we can comprehend here, GH'ers. I say this...I trust in Tubby to do what is best for the University of Minnesota.

The key words are..."never say never"... and if I made add..."Almost never say always". We are dealing with things far and above what we can comprehend here, GH'ers. I say this...I trust in Tubby to do what is best for the University of Minnesota.

I agree. Tubby has handled it as best as he could have, so far (or so it seems).

We all need to keep our options open. Life can take twists and unexpected turns.
I applaud Tubby for his approach! After the NIT---I can bet come June, most of us who want the NCAA will be in the camp who can't wait to see Royce in maroooooon and Goooold in 2010-2011!

Amazing that (per Tubby) Rwhite did everything asked of him...that corroborates all my sources and why he expected to play and was frustrated. Tubbies statement counters the Anti-RW folks on this board who jump to unhealthy and very judgmental speculations about the young man, his attitude and work ethic. Let me speculate for a minute, it appears to me that the AD Department again is undermining a quality coach. Remember Pam Freize? Hmmm....She left after the final four due to the weak AD, and him undermining a budding program. Plus, she received a raise that the AD refused to match. I wonder why a great Hockey Coach like Don L is struggling? hmmmm...what is going on behind the scenes in this Athletics department? Sounds as if RW was ready to play. yes, RW needs to tweak some things in his life and I hope he does. But until then, I am going to continue to push for a major shake-up in the AD's office based on poor results --not in mindless and reckless accusations. Time for a change of the Guard at the Top folks...folks.....

Smith took the right precautions with Royce...Now I think we can all agree that Smith does in fact wish the best for all his players...Smith seems like a very good mentor too me.

Remember Pam Freize? Hmmm....She left after the final four due to the weak AD, and him undermining a budding program.

Brenda (then Oldfield) Frese left before Maturi was hired and two years before the Final Four.

And the AD had nothing to do with the downfall of men's hockey. Lucia still has more NHL draft picks than any other school in the nation. Lucia's the one that brought back John Hill when Motzko left and then got rid of Guentzel.

In the words of (also dating myself) Dan Hicks "How can I miss you if you won't go away?"

I've got no issue with this, and I understand why Royce may not feel safe at the "U". I don't see Royce returning, but I'd be happy if he did (assuming he's got Tubby's seal of approval). It's very unlikely we will find 2 recruits for next year that would compare with Royce.

I think you missed the point there. Yes, he did everything that was asked of him ON the court, but that's not enough. He was about as bad as you can get off the court.

Your "sources" are yourself.

We all need to keep our options open. Life can take twists and unexpected turns.
I applaud Tubby for his approach! After the NIT---I can bet come June, most of us who want the NCAA will be in the camp who can't wait to see Royce in maroooooon and Goooold in 2010-2011!

Amazing that (per Tubby) Rwhite did everything asked of him...that corroborates all my sources and why he expected to play and was frustrated. Tubbies statement counters the Anti-RW folks on this board who jump to unhealthy and very judgmental speculations about the young man, his attitude and work ethic. Let me speculate for a minute, it appears to me that the AD Department again is undermining a quality coach. Remember Pam Freize? Hmmm....She left after the final four due to the weak AD, and him undermining a budding program. Plus, she received a raise that the AD refused to match. I wonder why a great Hockey Coach like Don L is struggling? hmmmm...what is going on behind the scenes in this Athletics department? Sounds as if RW was ready to play. yes, RW needs to tweak some things in his life and I hope he does. But until then, I am going to continue to push for a major shake-up in the AD's office based on poor results --not in mindless and reckless accusations. Time for a change of the Guard at the Top folks...folks.....

LOL. I also find it funny how people get worked up so much about 1 player who hasn't played 1 second of college basketball. I know he's a hyped player, but do we really need headaches like this? I don't think so. Let's move on to the next big recruit and hopefully he has some more class than RW.

Actually NSL used to announce every week that the Generalissmo was "still" dead. But, good analogy anyway.

I was sure I had completely washed my hands of Royce. Yet, I have to admit I raed this entire thread.

Maybe Tubby is just one of those people who wants to find something positive and remain optimistic. I worked with a fellow who was like that -- we'd joke that he'd come up to a pile of excrement and start looking for the pony.

Having him on our projects (and especially negotiations) was helpful in giving a different perspective and keeping things moving forward.

I agree with you completely. White needs to get out of the spotlight and really figure out what he wants to do.

I think Tubby probably understands this. He probably knows that he will never be a productive member until that happens and being away from the program is the only way that is going to happen.

I am guessing Tubby is sick and tired of the RW saga

Maybe Tubby is just one of those people who wants to find something positive and remain optimistic. I worked with a fellow who was like that -- we'd joke that he'd come up to a pile of excrement and start looking for the pony.

Having him on our projects (and especially negotiations) was helpful in giving a different perspective and keeping things moving forward.

My guess is Tubby is happy as hell that the kid bailed.

I had a suspicion that Royce could surface again next year. Might be a good idea to take this break. The kid loves the U and is a Gopher through and through. He gets along great with the other guys. He's a natural fit for the team. I hope he suits up next year. With no DJ, we sure will need him.

Don't think Tubby is wasting a lot of political capital or emotional energy in telling a very young and talented man that he is still welcome back. It is on White at this point, up to him. He signs with an agent it is over. Really that simple.

Certainly he is not holding a scholarship for him. He is smarter then that. And he may believe White is on a fence with this.

White needs 2 years of college ball...Realistically speaking White will not be drafted into the NBA yet because he has shown nothing on the court. High school no longer plays a roll in determining if a player is NBA ready.

Top Bottom