Tubby on his playing days at High Point: a shorter Damian Johnson

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus' blog:

Tubby: "I was a pretty good athlete."

Tubby Smith had hops. Imagine that.

But since there was no dunking allowed in college back when he played at High Point University in North Carolina from 1969-73, Smith became known mostly for his versatility.

“I was a pretty good athlete,” said Smith, who will coach against his alma mater Sunday when the No. 23 Gophers (11-0) play High Point (4-7) at Williams Arena. “I would have considered myself in all-around type of guy. I wasn’t a great shooter. I was adequate. I wasn’t a great passer. But I was accurate. I could rebound and defend.”

When asked if he could compare himself to a player on his current team, Smith said, “I would be like a Damian Johnson. But a shorter version.”

Johnson, a 6-foot-7, 190-pound junior forward, can play three positions on the floor for the Gophers. He averages 11 points, four rebounds and two steals a game while also leading the team with 21 blocks.

He’s also Minnesota’s most athletic player, which allows him to seemingly be everywhere on the court.

"That's pretty funny," Johnson said about Smith comparing himself to him as a player. "I can't even see that."

Former High Point coach J.D. Barnett remembers Smith as hard working and extremely coachable, but said Smith’s athleticism stood out the most.

“He could really get to the rim,” said Barnett, who coached Smith during the 1971-72 season while also having Smith on his coaching staff at Virginia Commonwealth from 1979-86. “He played above the rim.”

-- Gophers recruit and Bishop Montgomery High School (Calif.) point guard Justin Cobbs was named MVP after leading his team to the San Luis Obispo Mission Prep tournament title on Wednesday. Cobbs scored 23 points in a 65-58 win against Arlington (Va.) Bishop O'Connell in the championship game, including four free throws in the final 26 seconds to seal the victory. Led by Cobbs, Bishop Montgomery (11-1), which only loss so far this season was to Compton Dominguez High School, is one of the top teams in Southern California.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2008/12/tubby_i_was_a_pretty_good_athl.html

Go Gophers!!

anyone know how tall tubby is? i saw him in the hall in folwell hall last year and he was taller than i thought he would be.

anyone know how tall tubby is? i saw him in the hall in folwell hall last year and he was taller than i thought he would be.

I don't know for sure, but I saw him at the Target Center last night. I'm 6 feet tall and he couldn't have been much taller than I am...maybe 6'1"?

Top Bottom