tubby had a lot of bad luck but...

gopherdiehard

Reaction score
his recruiting was and is always weak. he was able to keep most of the in state kids but the big one got away (royce).. we got lucky with andre even tho he would be better as a 2 guard had justin cobbs stuck around to play the point (12.6 ppg at California) but bad luck and his consistently average big ten record has killed him.. great coach but to build this program we need someone who can recruit and nail down that practice facility pronto. i thank tubby for getting us a start on turning the corner but i want Flip!

I don't think he was a complete washout in recruiting, but I'll bring the key stat up one more time. At least at the current time, not one of Smith's Minnesota recruits has ever played a minute in the NBA. Royce still might, Trevor might, Rodney probably won't, Austin has a chance, Andre has some things to work on, but at the present time, the number is zero. By contrast, Clem averaged about one player per year during his tenure who ended up at least having a cup of coffee in the Association. Even Monson scored at least a couple total.

I hope people that want Flip before Shaka realize that Flip hasn't recruited in years. And if you have watched VCU and their style of play, I don't know how you could not want Shaka 1st.

I hope people that want Flip before Shaka realize that Flip hasn't recruited in years. And if you have watched VCU and their style of play, I don't know how you could not want Shaka 1st.

Two things:
Ex-NBA coaches have overwhelmingly done well when taking a college job. Recruiting has not been a problem. Its even been a strength in most cases.
There is a question about how VCU's "Style of Play" would translate to the Big-10. Top level Big-10 guards can usually handle pressure, at least Michigan's were able to.

I would be ecstatic with either Flip or Shaka.

Top Bottom