Tubby comment last night

bga1

Reaction score
After the game in his interview with Spencer he stated that the guards are trying to penetrate too much with the dribble instead of passing it in deeper.

Basketball gurus please help here. I don't see enough dribble penetration (from my amateur view) and I have been wondering why Andre Hollins, Armelin and others -who are capable of this- are not doing it more. Turns out Tubby doesn't want penetration. I thought that was a staple of all offenses. I get it that he wants to see the ball move quickly by passing, but guards that can get into the lane and dish it off break down defenses and create easier scores.

As I recall some of Bobby Knights great offensive teams, his perimeter players would probe in with the dribble every time they got the ball. If they beat their guy with the first step- they went, if not they passed. This forces the defense to move.

Thoughts on this?

I don't think any gurus can help explain it. Teams will start playing zone against us again because we aren't a threat from behind the arc, and getting good looks against a zone requires dribble penetration. That's what made our offense so frustrating in the past, the lack of driving to the bucket and just passing it around against zones.

Maybe someone else has better reasoning for the comment.

I think Tubby is just focused on the post play. Feed it down low to the posts and let them do their work, stay out of the way. Dribble penetration doesn't let the posts do their work.

I think(or hope) he was talking about picking the right time and knowing when to stop if the opening is no longer there. Mav had a couple of drives that ended in turnovers because the first step was there but by step 3 it was closed and he didn't have a pass out of it so he just kept going.

This seems to be his offense. Play catch on the perimeter until the shot clock runs down and then throw up a hail mary. Al Nolan was a master at this. It drives me nuts

He also said they should be driving looking to pass instead of score. Typical bga1, reading far too much into one comment.

After the game in his interview with Spencer he stated that the guards are trying to penetrate too much with the dribble instead of passing it in deeper.

Basketball gurus please help here. I don't see enough dribble penetration (from my amateur view) and I have been wondering why Andre Hollins, Armelin and others -who are capable of this- are not doing it more. Turns out Tubby doesn't want penetration. I thought that was a staple of all offenses. I get it that he wants to see the ball move quickly by passing, but guards that can get into the lane and dish it off break down defenses and create easier scores.

As I recall some of Bobby Knights great offensive teams, his perimeter players would probe in with the dribble every time they got the ball. If they beat their guy with the first step- they went, if not they passed. This forces the defense to move.

Thoughts on this?

Tubby likes a tight leash. If this continues, to where we really don't see any guard penetration, I won't be able to come up with any other explanation. If we see Tubby loosen the grip as the season progresses, it was most likely because he didn't trust our guards enough, early on, to let them penetrate.

Thanks to MalikSealy for the link to watch the game last night.

He also said they should be driving looking to pass instead of score. Typical bga1, reading far too much into one comment.

I don't recall him saying that- but if he did- well them I'm still confused. He definitely said they should advance the ball via the pass and not the dribble.

I don't recall him saying that- but if he did- well them I'm still confused. He definitely said they should advance the ball via the pass and not the dribble.

Was he talking about when they were pressing? Because that makes sense.

Why do I feel like I recall him saying the complete opposite in the past? Like telling Nolen and Hoff to put the ball on the floor and drive instead of settling on the perimeter? Something doesn't add up here....

Okay- maybe that's the explanation- I had not thought of that possibility. Hope so. Thanks.

It's just that when I heard him say it, it seemed to coincide with what we see on the floor... players not breaking down the opposition off the bounce.

Okay- maybe that's the explanation- I had not thougth of that possibility. Hope so. Thanks.

It's just that when I heard him say it, it seemed to coincide with what we see on the floor... players not breaking down the opposition off the bounce.

I hope so too. I've been waiting for more dribble penetration in the half court also.

Yes, he was referring to their press. Tubby said that this was an opportunity last night to work on the press break a bit and said there were a few examples where the young guards learned that passing the ball is a lot quicker dribbling through the press.

I did not hear any questions specifically about penetrating, but then again we were driving through the 94 tunnel towards the tail end of the interview and may have missed that specific question.

Go Gophers!!

I hope so too. I've been waiting for more dribble penetration in the half court also.

Tubby loves him some Bigs, but some of the biggest games we've won under his tenure (Louisville, Wisconsin(s), etc.) he let the leash off of Nolen and Westbrook and let them penetrate over and over. He also let Mav do a bit of this against SDSU in the second half.

Go Gophers!!

Tubby loves him some Bigs, but some of the biggest games we've won under his tenure (Louisville, Wisconsin(s), etc.) he let the leash off of Nolen and Westbrook and let them penetrate over and over. He also let Mav do a bit of this against SDSU in the second half.

Go Gophers!!

Absolutely. Westbrook took over those Wisconsin games two years ago. Devoe had his moments also. The quote seemed backwards from what he has preached in the past. I'm guessing he was talking about breaking the full court pressure.

I've hear Tubby speak to this, and it's just basic basketball. You push the ball, against the press, or anytime, with the pass. You get the ball up the floor a lot quicker with the pass. Ideally, the ball never hits the floor and you score in your primary or secondary break.

In the half court, specifically against the zone, you dribble into the gaps and draw two players. The problem is dribbling too deep and then not being able to do anything with the ball. This is where Al struggled. He couldn't pull up and hit the shot.

Quincy stated that Tubby has a short leash with Ahanamisi as he often does a Nolen.

I've hear Tubby speak to this, and it's just basic basketball. You push the ball, against the press, or anytime, with the pass. You get the ball up the floor a lot quicker with the pass. Ideally, the ball never hits the floor and you score in your primary or secondary break.

In the half court, specifically against the zone, you dribble into the gaps and draw two players. The problem is dribbling too deep and then not being able to do anything with the ball. This is where Al struggled. He couldn't pull up and hit the shot.

Bingo.

Go Gophers!!

Is that Tubby taking the leash off, or those players just taking it on themselves to make it happen? I have a feeling Tubby isn't sitting there game to game, saying "Okay Al, you go ahead and unleash the beast in you today", and then a game later saying "Don't take it strong to the paint". What I do think is happening is, sometimes, a guy just has it going, he sees the floor clearly, he's finding the openings. Then there are games where it's just not flowing right, he's forcing things, not running the offense well.

Both times, he's just trying to make plays, but the results are a lot different, and when they turn bad, some guys seem to quickly be pulled when that happens. But I don't think, if a player is successfully beating the defense off the bounce, that Tubby would give him the hook or discourage that. Or at least I hope he wouldn't lol.

Thoughts on this?

I have a feeling that he was just making a comment about the last night game since Chips tried to do that over and over and was blocked over and over. Even Mav started to do that too and was blocked. The one that I really liked was the one that Dre did. He is a very smart player.

Go Gophers

When he made this comment he was not referring to the press. Tubby was just saying the guards should be penetrating to pass, and not looking to score all the time. He then said the guards were dribbling too much against the press. They were 2 different comments on the guards.

When he made this comment he was not referring to the press. Tubby was just saying the guards should be penetrating to pass, and not looking to score all the time. He then said the guards were dribbling too much against the press. They were 2 different comments on the guards.

This also makes sense. No knock on Tubby here- just trying to figure out what he is expecting out of the guard play and what he thinks it takes to get our offense functioning at its best.

I thought his comment was more to "too much dribbling" as in one player having it too long and not moving the ball.

one thing i notice is how poorly we finish fast breaks.. 3/2 or 2/1.. seem the like guy with the ball over dribbles and gets too far into the paint.. then isn't sure what to do.. by then the alley-oop is gone.. which should be option 1 if rodney, austin, or trevor are in the lanes

If he was talking about the 1/2 court offense and not the press break, I would think it's talking about over penetration. Guard dribbling in too deep and not getting all the way to the rim, it's a very common problem early in the season when you have young players. Players have to see that they are not going to get all the way to the rim before they get swallowed up by the trees down low so they can drive and kick.

Top Bottom